E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I need all info on lci m5 mirrors to pre 09/05 e60

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on adding the m5 autofold mirrors to my 04 530i. I know from searching the forums that the best solution for me would be to obtain a set of pre 09/05 m5 mirrors. Ive haven't found them yet, and if after awhile I can't find them I will end up having to get a post 09/05 mirrors. I'm hoping those of you who have done this mod can give me as much as info as possible. From what i have gathered in order to make the post 09/05 work on my car I will need to take parts and wiring from my original mirrors and merge them together into the m5 mirrors. I seen a few of the diys on here most are for helping people try to accomplish the opposite.

Correct me if i'm wrong but I think when I get the mirrors I'm supposed to use my original ecu. I'm just kinda lost as to how to convert the one connector piece into the 3 connectors from my original does anyone have any pictures or diagrams of the wire connections. Any help at all would be appreciated I want to be able to know exactly how to do this by the time these mirrors get here.

so far i have referenced the following:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/120...1#entry1415471
https://5series.net/forums/topic/119...1#entry1407058
https://5series.net/forums/topic/548...1&#entry578961
https://5series.net/forums/topic/113...1#entry1347768
Old 02-26-2012, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

im desperate lol j/k, needs some attention come on bruce, blood & others show me some love
Old 02-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Wish I could help, but I have the same questions as you. I'm considering this as well, as I do not want to lose the puddle light option going with NVD's replicas.

Subscribed.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

+1^^^
Old 02-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Senior Members

ok a fellow forum member pm'ed this to me a while back ago about how to do this its a good start but i'm hoping some more people who have done this mod can come and add their piece as well pics diagrams whatever.... ne way here it is

the 2006 (post 09/05 models) have the motor inside the mirror connected to a module inside the mirror with only 2 wires coming out and 1 plug.. the pre 09/05 mirrors have the motor inside the mirror with about 6 wires coming out with 2/3 plugs connecting to a module on the door.. what I did with th e2006 ones was cut the module out of the mirror and then take the wires from my original mirrors disconnect them from the motor inside the original mirror, feed them into the new mirror and connect them to the new motor inside the 2006 mirror..

does that make sense...

where I had problem was that my original mirrors didnt have power fold or led puddle lights so I had to run new cable for these which was one wire from pin 6 on one of the original plugs to the positive of the power fold motor, then another wire from the negative on the power fold motor to the negative of the mirror heater wire (simply to ground it)..
Then I ran 2 wires from the led strip in the mirror all the way down to the door light to power them (whenever the door light comes on the led strip will do - not perfect but good enough) - note the wires need to be the right way round for the leds to work - if they dont... simply switch them over.. (by that I mean positive to positive and negative to negative)

hope that helps
Old 02-28-2012, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

I think I'm slowly piecing all the info together after numerous hours of searching the forum in the end although I haven't tried this out yet seems like it will be easy.... Heres is another helpful tip from bruce to another forum member I think when I will attempt this mod myself I will take full pictures and make a easy diy for all those in my situation with pre 09/05 cars because the info is out there just kinda all over the place, and lacking a step by step aspect with pics.

I've now forgotten how many times I've told people what to do here. So again

Cut the Yellow and White wires of the fold motor on the M5 mirrors from the ECU.

Now transplant everything from your old mirrors into the M5 mirrors. You will get stuck trying to plug the old harness into the new M5 glass. Here you have two options cut the plugs out of the M5 mirror harness and use it or source yourself a couple of Hirschmann connectors PN 805-187 (my solution).

Extend the Yellow and White wires of the fold motor and bring them out into the plug which has got the most pins and on your mirror you'll see the two slots empty.

p.s. This is exactly what I did to my M5 mirrors when I sold them.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

ok guys so far ive been piecing all the info i can on doing this mod and i think i'm ready to try it problem is I can't seem to find anyone with a pre 09/05 US car who has done the ecu transplant from his original mirror to a post 2005 m5 mirror and DID NOT USE a sam module or a oem door switch to enable power folding, instead just coded the door modules to activate fold from key fob.

I so far have read/confirmed that the following groups have been able to to code powerfold on remote with out a switch or sam module

-UK pre 09/05 cars,
- US pre 09/05 cars but only using oem pre 09/05 mirrors meaning (NO TRANSPLANT NEEDED)
- All post 09/05 cars

In the postings about people with us cars pre 09/05 either stated that they were using the sam module or door switch
I'm reluctant to buy these mirrors unless i can confirm that the powerfold will indeed work once coded for on key fob. For me the whole point of this is so that i can power fold with the remote if not i don't even want to do it.

so please anyone who has done it the same way i intend to with a US pre 09/05 car and post 09/05 mirrors with no sam module or door switch, please let me know and confirm it here
Old 03-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Senior Members

So no one can confirm?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

when i tried this mod....i found that it simply was not possible to code the car to send that signal to the mirrors for the power fold via key fob.

you could go another route by going a level or two deeper by acquiring a second remote to activate your sam module or door switch....but from the OEM i think the ECU modules just arent compatible. from what i recal....after the 04 & 05 models the mirror ECUs were controlled by a seperate module wihtin the door/mirro. however in the 2004 cars like yours all those mirror functions are controlled by the main ECU located underneath the glovebox.

so in summation, its definitely possible to get the mirrors installed and working....even power folding....but power folding via the keyfob....may not be possible or would call for some creative wiring into a system that can be activated/deactivated with the key fob and still power the power folding motors...i wish there was a simple answer for you
Old 03-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Senior Members

This is really depressing I might just give up...

Quick Reply: I need all info on lci m5 mirrors to pre 09/05 e60