E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

i was looking into buying ac schnitzer replica wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 06:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='946196' date='Jul 18 2009, 11:03 PM
Having tried OEM "replica" wheels IMO there is a huge difference between a quality wheel and a cheap knock off. Cheap wheels are usually heavy, may bend, get out of round or in some cases just crack into pieces.

Wheels are a vital part of a BMW performing as it should.

THIS.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 55 525D Sport Full Black Leather Visibility Pack Media Pack

that picture brought a tear to my eye

all them beautiful alloys dying lol
Old 07-19-2009, 07:15 AM
e6t
Senior Members

no offense to those of you that have replicas and to each their own... but im not down with it.

my wife doesnt wear fake diamonds, i dont wear a fake rolex and i dont roll fake wheels.

if you cant or dont want to afford the real deal, find a similar style that possibly draws on some of the features of the other and that is something that you are comfortable with, buy it and be proud of it.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by e6t' post='946361' date='Jul 19 2009, 11:15 AM
no offense to those of you that have replicas and to each their own... but im not down with it.

my wife doesnt wear fake diamonds, i dont wear a fake rolex and i dont roll fake wheels.

if you cant or dont want to afford the real deal, find a similar style that possibly draws on some of the features of the other and that is something that you are comfortable with, buy it and be proud of it.
Personally, I think there are two people who buy repicas.

1. Those who simply can't afford to spend 5 or 10000 dollars on a set of wheels.

2. People, like myself, who are offended by price gouging.

Sure, I get the whole, "supply and demand' but when people with more money than brains come in and set an unhealthy market precedent, it ruins it for the rest of us. (And I can afford to pay more, but not everyone can.)

Don't believe me? Then explain to me how an exhaust can be 3300 bucks..

Here's another post talking about the same thing we're talking about now. People are noticing that there are two ways to run a business. You price gouge and make all your money at once, or you make a little bit of profit and build a long term relationship over time.

Guess which one usually ends with a company with no customers, high prices, and closed doors?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283217

I read someone mention "disloyal buyers," but if these companies didn't try to bend its customers over at every single opportunity, people WOULD be a little more loyal.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

They better hit those with the crusher again. I've seen more badly damaged wheels on Craigslist.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by Mrsosoo' post='946069
I like what theyre doing. Im not a huge fan of copies at all, companies work hard to put out the best product possible and to have some other company make a far inferior product and just slap a brand name on it is pathetic.
Sometimes the "fake" copies turn out to be better than the OEM stuff. I had a car once where the original alloys would damage easily. It was as though the alloys were made of jello. Anyway after having to replace the wheels twice over,.. ie 8 pieces in 2 years ownership, I asked a wheel reseller what would be my best option. Note the OEMS were priced really high.

Guy said to put these fake ones from taiwan. He guaranteed me I would never replace another wheel after hitting a pothole and that was the best advice I ever got. Paid less than the OEM and it lasted on the car 3 years till the car got sold.
(I heard Audi RS wheels were crap. Any truth to that?)

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='946164' date='Jul 19 2009, 04:16 AM
no no no

youre missing the point

the point is that specific designs, ergonomics and levels of tolerance are produced in authentic wheel designs, and these come from highly educated engineers who actually are vested in the interests of your car. What they produce is the standard.

What these asian companies are doing is saying " you like that wheel? ok then ill make something that resembles it but it wont have any of the toughness of the original nor the warranty to back it up"

sure they are cheaper and they are cheaper because they dont have to recoupe any of the research and development cost, nor do they need to hire engineers to produce the wheels in the first place.

I applaud ACS for actually trying to fight back, ive been down this road in business and there is nothing more aggrivating then seeing your hard work copied and your unloyal customers buying replica parts

buy authentic, its as simple as that.
Sometimes I wonder how expensive are these wheels to make in the first place. Could it be they just used a factor of 5 to increase the price because of the name? AC pedals are a good case example? Should they cost so much? Whats to high tech about that? As long as it doesn't slip when the shoes are wet, thats about it. Surely its not made from material obtained on the moon right?

I used to be in manufacturing (Asia). The thing is, we used to get a mould and drawings from the west. We produce and ship out the stuff but at night, we would make some for the "local" market. Granted the material used may be less quality by using recycled material (percentage increased),.. but lets put it this way.
Say I bought a OEM at $6k and a fake for $1k. If I kerbs the OEM, this would be me right after it.

if on the otherhand I bought the fake,.. this would be me Why? cause in a short while I know the car will be getting another different set up. i could afford to change it when I like.

cheers
Old 07-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Contributors

I understand the copyright problem, but who cares. The people that buy them are not going to buy real ones because of the cost. Therefore fakes ones are just like advertising for the company. More people that can afford them may see them and wonder what they are and eventually buy the real thing. creating business
Old 07-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Members

Damn wish i had just 4 of them... i'm a dr make ok money i guess but i still cant dish out no 6k for rims b4 tires.. economies bad.. nothing wrong to "stunt" on a budget..
Old 07-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Dr530i' post='946946' date='Jul 19 2009, 11:07 PM
Damn wish i had just 4 of them... i'm a dr make ok money i guess but i still cant dish out no 6k for rims b4 tires.. economies bad.. nothing wrong to "stunt" on a budget..

You're right Doc, but unfortunately, "stunting" for some people means "let's finance it."

And people wonder why the economy is in the crapper.. You all know the old saying:

You can't rob Peter to pay Paul, because sooner or later Peter will get sore with you.... and NOBODY likes a sore Peter."
Old 07-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545 alpine white/grey cold weather package, premium package

I personally would prefer to buy OEM but face it, the price tag on these products are most of the time way out of my budget. So until these products become more affordable to the average working man, I will continue to buy Replicas.

Quick Reply: i was looking into buying ac schnitzer replica wheels