E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I have had enough !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 04:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d Sport Touring, Carbon Black, Dakota Black Leather, Maple Wood interior trim "How much more black could this be? And the answer is ‘None. None...more black’ " - David St Hubbins, Spinal Tap
[/quote]

I have changed from 18 inch Goodyear NTC5 Run Flats to Continental CS2 non run flats on my 535d for the same reason; noisy and hard drive. Well, the difference is amazing, it is a different car! If you can afford the change, then just do it! You will not want to go back to Run Flat tyres ever (or at least until they make significant progress with the technology)

WLodek
[/quote]

Did the same swap after 1K miles... went for the Conti CS2s because (a) they are seen as being slightly more compliant than the Michelin PS2s and (b) Kwik-Fit were doing a 4 for 3 deal at the time, so I saved ?150 While perhaps not as 'performance' as the PS2, the Contis have proved a good choice - traction (AA rated), comfort and roadholding all noticeably better than with the NCT5s (a rubbish tyre, whichever version). As I've said before, the car just feels properly 'planted' on the road now. DTC light has yet to come on once in 5k worth of driving, whereas it would often flicker on my old 320d Touding with OEM Pilot Sports, especially at this time of year. Worth the ?600 it cost me (including space saver spare etc) - absolutely. NCT5s been sitting in the cellar ever since...offers welcome!
Old 11-28-2005, 05:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by idoru' post='204201' date='Nov 28 2005, 01:31 PM
Did the same swap after 1K miles... went for the Conti CS2s because (a) they are seen as being slightly more compliant than the Michelin PS2s and (b) Kwik-Fit were doing a 4 for 3 deal at the time, so I saved ?150 While perhaps not as 'performance' as the PS2, the Contis have proved a good choice - traction (AA rated), comfort and roadholding all noticeably better than with the NCT5s (a rubbish tyre, whichever version). As I've said before, the car just feels properly 'planted' on the road now. DTC light has yet to come on once in 5k worth of driving, whereas it would often flicker on my old 320d Touding with OEM Pilot Sports, especially at this time of year. Worth the ?600 it cost me (including space saver spare etc) - absolutely. NCT5s been sitting in the cellar ever since...offers welcome!
Conti's are AA too? Sounds good - they're about 15% cheaper than the PS2's...

I needed 275 rears so mine where a little bit more expensive - but worth EVERY penny! BMW still get slated in reviews for the hard ride...

I vote the Dunlop SP Sport 01 are worse than the NCT5!

Here's the sales blurb for the PS2's:

The Pilot Sport PS2 is a Max Performance Summer tire member of the Michelin Pilot family of low profile, high-speed tires. Initially developed for Original Equipment (O.E.) on some of the world's most prestigious sports cars and performance sedans, the Pilot Sport PS2 combines world-class dry road traction, handling and cornering. Some of the first Pilot Sport PS2 O.E. fitments included the BMW Alpina Z8, McLaren SLR and Porsche GT2 & GT3 models. The Pilot Sport PS2 is not intended to be driven in snow.

On the outside, Pilot Sport PS2 features two different tread rubber compounds (a hybrid silica/carbon black compound that begins at the tire's outer shoulder and continues across the tread until it joins a high-silica compound that continues to the tire's inside shoulder) molded into an asymmetric design with large outer shoulder blocks and continuous intermediate and center ribs (similar to Michelin's Formula One tires) to enhance steering response and cornering stability. Both tread compounds are specifically formulated for their location to combine dry and wet traction with crisp corning and high speed capability. The tread design also features wide circumferential grooves and lateral notches that help channel water through the footprint to enhance wet road traction.

On the inside, the tread design is supported by two high-tensile, lightweight steel cord belts that are further reinforced by size-optimized, precisely placed individual Aramid/nylon hybrid filaments to provide improved steering response and resistance to distortion while enhancing ride quality and high-speed durability.

And for balance, the Conti's:

The Continental ContiSportContact 2 is a Max Performance Summer tire that was developed to meet the needs of the drivers of powerful sports cars, sports coupes and luxury sedans. The ContiSportContact 2 features Continental's bionic* contour and bionic* compound technology to enhance braking and handling as well as resistance to hydroplaning. While the ContiSportContact 2 is intended to eventually replace the original ContiSportContact, the original ContiSportContact is expected to remain available in selected sizes for some time.

On the outside, the ContiSportContact 2 features a bionic tread compound technology that is based on nature. The design of a spider's web -- which is both elastic and stable -- was used for the first time in the creation of a tire compound that is both flexible and firm. The bionic tread compound is molded into an asymmetric tread design that enhances steering response and steering precision while the tire's continuous ribs provide the circumferential stiffness to transmit drive and braking forces. The continuous circumferential tread grooves between the ribs help disperse water to resist hydroplaning. Internally, the ContiSportContact 2 tire features Continental's "Advanced Mold Contour" (AMC), which allows the tire to become wider during braking to help shorten stopping distances. The ContiSportContact 2 features twin steel belts reinforced by nylon to stabilize the tread area and enhance handling as well as high-speed capability.

Continental ContiSportContact 2 tires combine black sidewall styling with subtle black letters reversed out of a circumferential checkered flag graphic.

Check this link for a summary, including PS2+SC2 TyreComparison
Old 11-28-2005, 06:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Please see signature

Originally Posted by colejl' post='204195
I have changed from 18 inch Goodyear NTC5 Run Flats to Continental CS2 non run flats on my 535d for the same reason; noisy and hard drive. Well, the difference is amazing, it is a different car! If you can afford the change, then just do it! You will not want to go back to Run Flat tyres ever (or at least until they make significant progress with the technology)
The 'first-gen' RF's haven't helped! Apparently they are improving but I'm not convinced yet!
[/quote]

Does anyone have any information on "second generation" run-flats? My dealer didn't know anything - claimed that runflats are just fine :-)

I notice that Bridgestone RE050s are available as "RE050 A" and "RE050 EZ" but the Bridgestone web site is useless and has no information at all regarding the difference.

In the December 2005 issue of BMW Car magazine they reviewed the new 520dSE, and claimed it had the best ride of any 5 series, thanks to "the latest generation run-flat tyres" on 17 inch rims (style 138 7.5Jx17 is standard, but the magazine pictures show style 122 8Jx17). Anyone know what these tyres are, and whether they are an improvement over the RFs that many of us are suffering with on our cars today? I am tempted to replace mine with non-RFs, but would be happier to replace them with improved RFs - safety without such a compromised ride.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by red-max' post='204228
Originally Posted by Wlodek' post='204163' date='Nov 28 2005, 10:09 AM
The 'first-gen' RF's haven't helped! Apparently they are improving but I'm not convinced yet!
Does anyone have any information on "second generation" run-flats? My dealer didn't know anything - claimed that runflats are just fine :-)
[/quote]
Have a read here...

RunFlats

The theory being that the tyre manufacturers had made the tyres 'too tough' to avoid litigation but have now seen the light and are improving things...
Old 11-28-2005, 10:09 AM
SKK
Senior Members

Looks like the Michelins or Continentals for me - I will just pick the ones I get the best deal on. Michelin also do some good offers now and again.

Also does anyone know of when the Pirelli Euphorias are coming out in E60 tyre sizes. If these second generation RF tyres are really a significant improvement then it might be worth holding off for a little while.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SKK' post='204312' date='Nov 28 2005, 07:09 PM
Looks like the Michelins or Continentals for me - I will just pick the ones I get the best deal on. Michelin also do some good offers now and again.

Also does anyone know of when the Pirelli Euphorias are coming out in E60 tyre sizes. If these second generation RF tyres are really a significant improvement then it might be worth holding off for a little while.
I've heard all good things about the Eufori@'s - they're standard fit on the Mini and 3-series...

Haven't seen any info for the 5-series but they do some 'meaty' sizes. 255/40/17.

They'd be daft not to do the 5-series sizes, especially 245/40/18 (Standard 'sport')
Old 11-28-2005, 12:23 PM
IMU
Contributors

I have recently swapped from Goodyear NCT RFT to Conti Contact Sport2s on 19" M5 wheels and yes there is an improvement but not so noticeable that it would justify the cost for the comfort factor alone.

If you want comfort and not looks, stick to 18" but go non-RF imo
Old 11-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I just switched from 18" runflat dunlops to 19" Sport Contact 2's (on 166M rims). I kept the sidewall height the same during the switch and I am pleased with the tires, although I have only put a few hundred miles on them. I can not say there was a huge dramatic difference in ride quality to dump the old tires (they will dump themselves in 20-25k miles).

I have heard that the PS2's give a better ride. I would have gone with the PS2's however the tire I was choosing for the rear was not available.

Since you seem to be very concerned with ride quality, I would spend the money on the PS2's.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Contributors

Maybe it is because i have 17"? but the GY NCT5 so far are behaving okay. almost 400miles and they are ok.

I dont know what will happen after the breaking period of 1,200 miles.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 525i

Latest issue of Car & Driver did a comparision of 11 big brand tires:

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
Continental ContiSportContact 2
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
Goodyear Eagle F1
Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212
Kumho Ecsta MX