E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I have had enough !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xiT Titanium Silver, 6-speed Manual, new style Start/Stop ignition, Black Dakota Leather, anthracite maple wood trim, heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, headlight washers, automatic tailgate, auto dimming mirrors, Logic 7, 6-disc changer, sport seats, shadow line trim, rear sun blinds, PDC, adaptive xenons, 18" style 123 wheels, , navigation, voice control, bluetooth, BMW roof rack + bike attachments,

Originally Posted by SKK' post='204032' date='Nov 27 2005, 05:49 PM
Ok guys - some advice would be appreciated here.

I have a UK 530i M sport fitted with the 135M rims and Goodyear NCT5 tyres. I want to improve the ride quality and reading the posts on here, I am thinking of changing the tyres to non run flats. I wish I had just specified the 19" wheel option in the first place and at least I would have ended up with standard tyres .

I have only done about 400 miles in the car, so my current tyres are pretty much like new. Its a bit of a waste if all I can do with them is store them in my garage after the change (I assume no one really part exchanges tyres in London ?).

I am thinking of getting Continental Sport Contact 2 tyres at about ?150 a tyre. Is this a good tyre in terms of ride comfort / noise ? Is there anything better out there ? I want to get this right this time as with 4 new tyres and the spacesaver option the total cost of this change is going to be approx ?800.

Thanks
I am surprised you don't like the NCT5 RFT. I have them on 18" 123 style and have no complaints so far, especially after reading so much negative reaction to RFT.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by SKK' post='204032' date='Nov 27 2005, 05:49 PM

I have a UK 530i M sport fitted with the 135M rims and Goodyear NCT5 tyres. I want to improve the ride quality and reading the posts on here, I am thinking of changing the tyres to non run flats. I wish I had just specified the 19" wheel option in the first place and at least I would have ended up with standard tyres .

I have only done about 400 miles in the car, so my current tyres are pretty much like new. Its a bit of a waste if all I can do with them is store them in my garage after the change (I assume no one really part exchanges tyres in London ?).

I am thinking of getting Continental Sport Contact 2 tyres at about ?150 a tyre. Is this a good tyre in terms of ride comfort / noise ? Is there anything better out there ? I want to get this right this time as with 4 new tyres and the spacesaver option the total cost of this change is going to be approx ?800.

Thanks
I went with BMW style 101 19" wheels and PS2s. The ride is very nice, but I can't say it is the best possible. I use my original wheels/runflats for trips.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='204037' date='Nov 27 2005, 05:58 PM
Can you please explain what is the problem with your NCT5? Now you are making me feel sad I was bragging that the ride quality/noise on my 300+ miles new e60 was not as bad as I thought with MY R/F.

(Rain/Wet so far so good)

I come from CONTI..they were fine..but my NCT5 GY R/F are okay..maybe because of my low mileage?

TIA

Desc.
525 06 /sport pkg, GY NCT5 R/F: 300+ miles so far. She is not broken yet!
Hey POK guy: Just wait till you put your snows on, you'll see (and hear, and feel).

Ray
Albany
Old 11-27-2005, 11:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

Switched from the Goodyear run flats to PZero Rosso's, staying with the 18" whels.

Quieter, much more compliant, now has a ride to match my old E39, and is certainly better than my previous car, E46 330sport - which is what it should be.

I thought about the 19" wheels - they look superb - but was wooried that the improvement I'd gain from ditching the run flats would be lost by the lower profile tyres.

I've stored the run flats in my garage, will put them back when I sell the car, since that's what the dealer will want to see.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Senior Members

I spent a lot of money upgrading to 19" rims and Michelin PS2's, and I would do it again without hesitation.

The ride is definitely, and noticeably better.

It may still be firm, because of the suspension set-up, but it is the real difference is not feeling every small road imperfection.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='204048

Don't be under any false illusions about the ride of the E60. I had the same wheels and tyres as you but only on a temporary basis. Yes there was an improvement in the ride when I switched to the 19" SC2 tyres but not ?800 worth.

IMHO I think the ride, unless you have 16" std wheels and tyres, is very solid and un-limo like whether you have 17" with RF or 19" without. If I were you I would keep what you have otherwise you may be disappointed. As ColeJ rightly says I have posted good comments about my tyres but since then I have had a lot more experience with them. I would need to try the 135's again to make an accurate comparrisen. I think sometimes when people go from RF to non RF there may be some wishful thinking!
[/quote]
Oh yes the ride isn't 100% limo-like but I bought a BMW, not a Mercedes!!! But going from Dunlops the change was amazing. The main difference is the 'skipping' when you corner over small ridges/gaps. Previously the front was thrown off-line but now it stays and grips!

I think the phrase goes YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)!
Old 11-28-2005, 12:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 525i

Alot has been said abt how harsh the ride of RFT. But you will only truely appreciate it when you have a flat. It happened to me a few weeks back. I was on the way back home from the airport, it was raining, I had 4 adults in the car, on the highway when suddenly my iDrive flat tire warning came on. I was doing probably about 140kmph at that time. I slowed down to about 100kmph and continued driving back home cos' I was probably 20 mins away. There was no drama, car still very stable, but slowed when taking corners, best of all no need to stop and change tire.

I went to a neighborhood tire shop and they pulled out a 2" nail from the rear tire. iDrive don't tell you which tire is flat. Visually all 4 looked ok to me! Until I took out my pressure guage and found one with very low pressure. The hole was fixed with a plug (installed from inside of the tire). Since I was there I decided to give all my tires the full monty, balance, alignment, and all tires air changed to nitorgen gas. Found out that my rear alignment was out and had caused some uneven wear. Good thing I found out early before too much damge was done.

So now, I not sure when its time to change the tires, if I will change to non RFT. Before this incident I was certain to change to non RF. The convenience of not having to get down in the middle of the highway with the rain and trucks zipping by at high speed, think of the safety aspect, esp if my wife was driving, that's why the bells and whistles are worth it. The ride of my RFT is not too bad really. I can compromise and live with it for now. Hopefully when it is really tine to change my tires, the 2nd generation RFT would be better...and cheaper!
Old 11-28-2005, 01:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport A - Dec 04. Titanium Silver. Nav Pro

Originally Posted by SKK' post='204032' date='Nov 27 2005, 10:49 PM

Thanks
I have changed from 18 inch Goodyear NTC5 Run Flats to Continental CS2 non run flats on my 535d for the same reason; noisy and hard drive. Well, the difference is amazing, it is a different car! If you can afford the change, then just do it! You will not want to go back to Run Flat tyres ever (or at least until they make significant progress with the technology)

WLodek
Old 11-28-2005, 02:03 AM
Senior Members

Personally I'd go for Michelin PS2s. I swapped my ContiSports for these on my old car (e46 m3) and the difference was amazing.

Not cheap, but an excellent tyre choice.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by shiny' post='204165
Originally Posted by SKK' post='204032' date='Nov 27 2005, 10:49 PM
I have changed from 18 inch Goodyear NTC5 Run Flats to Continental CS2 non run flats on my 535d for the same reason; noisy and hard drive. Well, the difference is amazing, it is a different car! If you can afford the change, then just do it! You will not want to go back to Run Flat tyres ever (or at least until they make significant progress with the technology)
The 'first-gen' RF's haven't helped! Apparently they are improving but I'm not convinced yet!

Originally Posted by JC3168' post='204162' date='Nov 28 2005, 09:55 AM
So now, I not sure when its time to change the tires, if I will change to non RFT. Before this incident I was certain to change to non RF. The convenience of not having to get down in the middle of the highway with the rain and trucks zipping by at high speed, think of the safety aspect, esp if my wife was driving, that's why the bells and whistles are worth it. The ride of my RFT is not too bad really. I can compromise and live with it for now. Hopefully when it is really tine to change my tires, the 2nd generation RFT would be better...and cheaper!
I was in two minds (and even posted here that I was staying with RFs) but decided to go the Non-RF route. The main reason was I didn't hear anything good about the available brands of RFs at the time. (Only Dunlop, Goodyear or Bridgestone) Now if Michelin did a RF-PS2...

I was also thinking that the 'competing' run-flat technology 'PAX' wouldn't suffer from the stiff sidewall problem? I thought that the support was from an additional hub inside the middle of the wheel?