E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I have had enough !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 01:49 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys - some advice would be appreciated here.

I have a UK 530i M sport fitted with the 135M rims and Goodyear NCT5 tyres. I want to improve the ride quality and reading the posts on here, I am thinking of changing the tyres to non run flats. I wish I had just specified the 19" wheel option in the first place and at least I would have ended up with standard tyres .

I have only done about 400 miles in the car, so my current tyres are pretty much like new. Its a bit of a waste if all I can do with them is store them in my garage after the change (I assume no one really part exchanges tyres in London ?).

I am thinking of getting Continental Sport Contact 2 tyres at about ?150 a tyre. Is this a good tyre in terms of ride comfort / noise ? Is there anything better out there ? I want to get this right this time as with 4 new tyres and the spacesaver option the total cost of this change is going to be approx ?800.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SKK' post='204032' date='Nov 27 2005, 10:49 PM

I have a UK 530i M sport fitted with the 135M rims and Goodyear NCT5 tyres. I want to improve the ride quality and reading the posts on here, I am thinking of changing the tyres to non run flats. I wish I had just specified the 19" wheel option in the first place and at least I would have ended up with standard tyres .

I have only done about 400 miles in the car, so my current tyres are pretty much like new. Its a bit of a waste if all I can do with them is store them in my garage after the change (I assume no one really part exchanges tyres in London ?).

I am thinking of getting Continental Sport Contact 2 tyres at about ?150 a tyre. Is this a good tyre in terms of ride comfort / noise ? Is there anything better out there ? I want to get this right this time as with 4 new tyres and the spacesaver option the total cost of this change is going to be approx ?800.
Having just changed myself I might be biased but it really does make a HUGE difference!

Of course I'd recommend the Michelin PS2's but they are a little bit more expensive - about ?180 per tyre...

I believe the M5 comes with Continental SC2's so I think they're good... Merv The Derv has the 19" options and always says good things about them...
Old 11-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Contributors

Can you please explain what is the problem with your NCT5? Now you are making me feel sad I was bragging that the ride quality/noise on my 300+ miles new e60 was not as bad as I thought with MY R/F.

(Rain/Wet so far so good)

I come from CONTI..they were fine..but my NCT5 GY R/F are okay..maybe because of my low mileage?

TIA

Desc.
525 06 /sport pkg, GY NCT5 R/F: 300+ miles so far. She is not broken yet!
Old 11-27-2005, 02:12 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='204036
Can you please explain what is the problem with your NCT5? Now you are making me feel sad I was bragging that the ride quality/noise on my 300+ miles new e60 was not as bad as I thought with MY R/F.

(Rain/Wet so far so good)

I come from CONTI..they were fine..but my NCT5 GY R/F are okay..maybe because of my low mileage?

TIA

Desc.
525 06 /sport pkg, GY NCT5 R/F: 300+ miles so far. She is not broken yet!
I have only done about 400 miles in my car so the Goodyears are new. The noise is not a problem but the ride is. I drove on the motorway today and it was a touch uncomfortable. The roads around my neighbourhood are pretty crud so that doesnt help either.

Also chaps are the Runflats that I will be left with saleable ? Any part exchange options ??
Old 11-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SKK' post='204039
Having just changed myself I might be biased but it really does make a HUGE difference!

Of course I'd recommend the Michelin PS2's but they are a little bit more expensive - about ?180 per tyre...

I believe the M5 comes with Continental SC2's so I think they're good... Merv The Derv has the 19" options and always says good things about them...
I will look into the PS2 especially since Michelin do these offers now and again at my local Costco.

Colejl - is it really a night and day difference in ride quality or just a slight improvement ?
[/quote]
In my opinion yes. The horrible 'thump' has gone going over ridges etc. Tramlining has also disappeared.

I wouldn't go back now and when (if) I get a 535d I'll be picking the 19" option! (Shame it doesn't come with PS2's!)
Old 11-27-2005, 02:26 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Ok mate cheers. I think I am going to have to fork out the dough to save my sanity - currently have a ?40k car that rides worse than my VW Polo runabout.

The really sad thing is that I absolutely love everything else about it.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Contributors

Hi guys,

i have a set of 124 for summer (with RFT) and another set of 124 for winter (without RFT) - the difference is amazing. can only recommend tires without RFT...
Old 11-27-2005, 02:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by SKK' post='204032' date='Nov 27 2005, 05:49 PM

Thanks
SKK

Don't be under any false illusions about the ride of the E60. I had the same wheels and tyres as you but only on a temporary basis. Yes there was an improvement in the ride when I switched to the 19" SC2 tyres but not ?800 worth.

IMHO I think the ride, unless you have 16" std wheels and tyres, is very solid and un-limo like whether you have 17" with RF or 19" without. If I were you I would keep what you have otherwise you may be disappointed. As ColeJ rightly says I have posted good comments about my tyres but since then I have had a lot more experience with them. I would need to try the 135's again to make an accurate comparrisen. I think sometimes when people go from RF to non RF there may be some wishful thinking!
Old 11-27-2005, 02:55 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='204048' date='Nov 27 2005, 11:43 PM
SKK

Don't be under any false illusions about the ride of the E60. I had the same wheels and tyres as you but only on a temporary basis. Yes there was an improvement in the ride when I switched to the 19" SC2 tyres but not ?800 worth.

IMHO I think the ride, unless you have 16" std wheels and tyres, is very solid and un-limo like whether you have 17" with RF or 19" without. If I were you I would keep what you have otherwise you may be disappointed. As ColeJ rightly says I have posted good comments about my tyres but since then I have had a lot more experience with them. I would need to try the 135's again to make an accurate comparrisen. I think sometimes when people go from RF to non RF there may be some wishful thinking!
Merv - thats interesting. Sounds like your ride improved marginally only. It's probably a difficult one to give an opinion on but could some of the ride improvement from moving to the non rf's been offset by the larger wheels ?

I think I need to give it a try first.

Anyone in the London area with a sport model running non rf's willing to give me a quick ride? We can potentially back to back it against mine to do a meaningul comparison.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT Titanium Silver, 6-speed Manual, new style Start/Stop ignition, Black Dakota Leather, anthracite maple wood trim, heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, headlight washers, automatic tailgate, auto dimming mirrors, Logic 7, 6-disc changer, sport seats, shadow line trim, rear sun blinds, PDC, adaptive xenons, 18" style 123 wheels, , navigation, voice control, bluetooth, BMW roof rack + bike attachments,

Originally Posted by SKK' post='204032' date='Nov 27 2005, 05:49 PM

Thanks