E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I-Drive meets ipod

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

As happy as I am with my hardwire iPod install ( http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12430 ), I would like to be able to access playlists, artists, albums, etc. without having to open the center arm rest and taking the iPod out, so I got the Harman Kardon Drive + Play. I did a temporary install, attaching the power to the cigarette outlet in the center console ashtray, and aux input in the glove box, and left all the parts on the passenger seat.

Bottom line is I'm returning it. First, the display resolution is not good (and I tried adjusting contrast & back-lighting, but you either get a washed out resolution, or vertical lines if you increase the resolution). The navigation controller does a good job of emulating the iPod click wheel, but when you try to scroll forward or backward (through artist or album lists, for example) it has a mind of its own and usually doesn't stop scrolling, so you end up turning the wheel back and forth trying to stop it (sort of like that drunk guy internet game ). Plus it went into "skip mode" a bunch of times and the only way to stop it was to advance to the next song. Lastly, when I select an artist, I usually like to select "all" which will play all the tracks by that artist, but that option is missing with this unit, so you can only select 1 album per artist to play. And locating the controller is difficult (doesn't fit on LH drive cars like the pics above on a RH drive car), and the display doesn't look well integrated, so the install looks too aftermarket for my tastes. It's a step in the right direction, but has too many shortcomings compared to my current install.

Since HK produces the Logic7 system, hopefully the arrival of this unit means that a true iDrive integration will be available soon.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport, Mystic Blue, Dakota leather,Professional Navigation,BMW Assist, Blue Tooth Prep +telematics, 6 Disc Changer, ML/Alloy 8jx18", Graduated Tint windscreen, Auto-Dim Int + folding Mirrors, Comfort Seats - Electric, Through Load system inc Ski Bag, Bi Xenon Headlights plus washer system, Automatic Air Conditioning-Advanced, HiFi Speaker System, Fitted Floor Mats, clear bra

Must admit didn't have any of the problems you mentioned, screen resolution is fine. Especially now having changed font size. My controller works just like an ipod wheel with no skipping or jumping. If I hadn't found this unit for sale at my local Halfords I was going to carry out a hardwire very similar to yours with the exception of taking power from flash light recharger. Must admit once a BMW integration comes out I may change it.

If a simple aux in costs ?164, I wonder how much for the ipod integration?
Old 01-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by marksas' post='218637' date='Jan 3 2006, 06:22 AM
Must admit didn't have any of the problems you mentioned, screen resolution is fine. Especially now having changed font size. My controller works just like an ipod wheel with no skipping or jumping. If I hadn't found this unit for sale at my local Halfords I was going to carry out a hardwire very similar to yours with the exception of taking power from flash light recharger. Must admit once a BMW integration comes out I may change it.

If a simple aux in costs ?164, I wonder how much for the ipod integration?
I also tried changing font size, and even went back to the store and exchanged it for another unit, thinking the first one was defective, but unfortunately had the same results.