E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I-Drive meets ipod

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d Sport, Mystic Blue, Dakota leather,Professional Navigation,BMW Assist, Blue Tooth Prep +telematics, 6 Disc Changer, ML/Alloy 8jx18", Graduated Tint windscreen, Auto-Dim Int + folding Mirrors, Comfort Seats - Electric, Through Load system inc Ski Bag, Bi Xenon Headlights plus washer system, Automatic Air Conditioning-Advanced, HiFi Speaker System, Fitted Floor Mats, clear bra

Had my Auxiliary install done yesterday. Took the garage two days as they had problems with software update. I have been using an FM transmitter with my ipod for the past month but was looking for a better solution hence the aux install.

Spent 4 hours to day, installing the Harman Kardon i-drive. All the wires are hidden which took a bit of doing. Here are the results, works a treat, and the blue controller looks good in the dark.

I-Drive meets ipod-pic1.jpg

I-Drive meets ipod-pic2.jpg

I-Drive meets ipod-pic3.jpg

I-Drive meets ipod-pic4.jpg

I-Drive meets ipod-pic5.jpg
Old 01-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Contributors

Sweet clean install!!!

Old 01-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Members

Looks good...How did you hook in the the factory unit?....FM or Hard wire? I got the HK unit as a present...Now just waiting for my car to be delivered to install it. Minor detail.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport, Mystic Blue, Dakota leather,Professional Navigation,BMW Assist, Blue Tooth Prep +telematics, 6 Disc Changer, ML/Alloy 8jx18", Graduated Tint windscreen, Auto-Dim Int + folding Mirrors, Comfort Seats - Electric, Through Load system inc Ski Bag, Bi Xenon Headlights plus washer system, Automatic Air Conditioning-Advanced, HiFi Speaker System, Fitted Floor Mats, clear bra

I used the aux input to connect into the system rather than use an FM modulator or transmitter. I travel long distances and it would mean having to change frequency too often.

Until BMW come up with a solution this does seem the best solution. The ipod is stored in the driver side storage compartment.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Members

My Hk unit only came with FM option. Did your come with hard wire option?
Old 01-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Very nice...now you have me thinking...

How is the sound quality?

When you start the car, does the iPod start playing automatically? With my hardwire install, the iPod turns off when you turn off the car, but doesn't automatically start playing when you start the car, so I have to press a button on the remote to play.

Any DIY instructions/pix?
Old 01-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't believe that BMW has not integrate iPod to i-Drive :thumbsdown: . MBZ has done it.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 - 545 Sportpackage, shadowline, active steering, comfort seats, exlusive leather interior (black), xenon headlights, hifi prologic 7, style 128 on summer tires, style 124 on winter tires, outside light package, PDC, sun protective rear windows. Wife drives: 2004 320 cupé, sports edition, M-Sport

BMW will release an interface for iPod now in January according to BMW Sweden.
But this is really interesting and looks good to!!
Old 01-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW will release an interface for iPod now in January according to BMW Sweden
Are you serious? Wow! I'm too excited. Is it paid option or standard?
Old 01-02-2006, 01:44 PM
Members

The sound quality is very good, though I notice a little interference during gaps between songs. I am going to replace the phono lead with better quality/more shielding, as soon as I can get one.

Starting the car switches on both the unit and the ipod, playing the music from where you left off.

I will post a set of instructions later. When replacing the phone lead I will take some pics.

The install involved removing both the two narrow carpet trims along the transmission tunnel. Passenger and driver side foot well panels. Driver side storage box and gaiter around gear stick.

I have run my own power loom from the trunk, attached to the trunk power socket, this way BMW cannot accuse me of splicing into their own harness.

My unit came with an FM modulator, but the control box has a 3.5mm phono out. The instruction manual advises this gives the best audio quality.

The real beauty of the control unit, it also has an auxiliary input. This means you can add in an additional aux input either in the glove box or where ever takes your fancy.

The control unit can be set to sense this aux input automatically or switch on manually.

If BMW ever bring out an ipod interface, and can be retro-fitted to older e60?s (still waiting for mp3) this unit will go into my wife?s car. She so impressed she now wants an ipod.

Quick Reply: I-Drive meets ipod