E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

how much is an IBS where is it and what does it do exactly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1083756' date='Jan 3 2010, 09:21 PM
Someone else will hopefully chime in with a bit more solid information but for now, all I can do is venture a guess...

I think, but again, am not 100% certain, that when a module or part is discontinued, the newer part is backward compatible to older cars so as not to force a "domino effect" of module replacements, etc. as you describe in your second question. I really have no idea about any costs other than to look them up on http://www.realoem.com and get an idea of the retail price. Keep in mind that most modules need some sort of coding or programming to work with the car. The CAS module, if I recall correctly, controls a TON of stuff so clearly it would need to be programmed before it would function well.

Hope that helps...
Thanks Rudy, I do almost all of my own out of warranty work on my own vehicle, including programming. It really helps to have a good understanding of how these systems are designed when troubleshooting.

I think your right about the domino effect not being an issue. Do you have an install manual for the KGM into a pre 09/05 vehicle? It looks like the body gateway module ( KGM) supersedes both door modules, the safety and gateway module ( SGM), and the micro power module (MPM). I believe the comfort access module (CAS) module is unchanged ( but would need new programming of course ). I just want to see the retrofit instructions that relate to what you need to do when you remove all those other modules from their harnesses.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by methodsound' post='1083803' date='Jan 4 2010, 01:58 AM
Thanks Rudy, I do almost all of my own out of warranty work on my own vehicle, including programming. It really helps to have a good understanding of how these systems are designed when troubleshooting.

I think your right about the domino effect not being an issue. Do you have an install manual for the KGM into a pre 09/05 vehicle? It looks like the body gateway module ( KGM) supersedes both door modules, the safety and gateway module ( SGM), and the micro power module (MPM). I believe the comfort access module (CAS) module is unchanged ( but would need new programming of course ). I just want to see the retrofit instructions that relate to what you need to do when you remove all those other modules from their harnesses.
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for.

If you do your own work, I'm assuming you have either a TIS disc or a subscription to the online site. If so, then you have what I have. If not, then first, I'd recommend getting yourself a copy and second, all I can add is that TIS has instructions on removing and reinstalling the KGM module (accessed via the glove box).

I've lost track of exactly what you're trying to accomplish...
Old 01-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1083879' date='Jan 4 2010, 06:04 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for.

If you do your own work, I'm assuming you have either a TIS disc or a subscription to the online site. If so, then you have what I have. If not, then first, I'd recommend getting yourself a copy and second, all I can add is that TIS has instructions on removing and reinstalling the KGM module (accessed via the glove box).

I've lost track of exactly what you're trying to accomplish...
I assume you work on the inside and have access to the official BMW GT1, SIB, and TIS system. I am on the outside and only have access to the Autologic tool, online TIS, and the PDF documents on the E60 forum. I did not mean to waste your time as I do not have an immediate need to replace my SGM. I want to thank you for your contributions to this forum, as I have found them to be very helpful.

The E60 has had some battery drain issues, and it looks like BMW improved/ simplified the system in 09/05. I checked realoem and it looks like the new KGM only costs $293. The cost of the modules it replaces are $410 for each door module, $175 for the micro power module, and $293 for the old SGM. Might be good news. I was just trying to figure out what would need to be done ( if anything ) for the KGM to connect with the wire harnesses in the doors for the door modules and the trunk for the MPM? Hopefully I will never need to find out the answer to this.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='1083479' date='Jan 3 2010, 10:43 AM
On a side note... I thought u meant Irritable Bowel Syndrome...
+1
Old 01-04-2010, 02:00 PM
gtf
Members

Thank you for all the info alot going straight over my head,i cannot believe that people think these parts are cheap I can not believe bmw will not help.if not i will be swapping of a loaner only joking??
Old 01-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by methodsound' post='1084058' date='Jan 4 2010, 04:23 PM
I assume you work on the inside and have access to the official BMW GT1, SIB, and TIS system. I am on the outside and only have access to the Autologic tool, online TIS, and the PDF documents on the E60 forum. I did not mean to waste your time as I do not have an immediate need to replace my SGM. I want to thank you for your contributions to this forum, as I have found them to be very helpful.

The E60 has had some battery drain issues, and it looks like BMW improved/ simplified the system in 09/05. I checked realoem and it looks like the new KGM only costs $293. The cost of the modules it replaces are $410 for each door module, $175 for the micro power module, and $293 for the old SGM. Might be good news. I was just trying to figure out what would need to be done ( if anything ) for the KGM to connect with the wire harnesses in the doors for the door modules and the trunk for the MPM? Hopefully I will never need to find out the answer to this.
I'm just as "outside" as you are...the only real difference, I suppose, is that I've been around here way longer so a bunch of this stuff has kinda clung to my brain in some relatively obscure places! Having said that, lately I'm starting to feel a little "E60'd out" and find myself forgetting details that I knew really well a few years ago. I'm anxious to move on to the F10 this summer to give me something fresh to play around with!

I always tell people that collectively, the forum and it's members are much more knowledgeable than just one guy so when you want to know something, search away and if you can't find it, post something and before you know it, there will be a bunch of people jumping in with all sorts of information. (Keep in mind that there are some "insiders" here but usually, they lurk and don't post too much...)