E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IBS replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525D Touring (E61)

Hello!

My car drains a lot of power it seems, and 3 different mornings I have been forced to start it on gear in a hill. Not the best way to start your day.

Talked to the dealer and they suggested replacing the IBS on the battery. They furhter claimed the new IBS means the car needs to be reprogrammed. And at least here in Norway that means $$$$....
A replacement incl. labor and reprogramming would be something like US$540.... and then they could not guarantee that the problem was fixed since there is no way to tell if the IBS is ok or malfunctioning. I saud no thanks for now.

First of all; does the car require any reprogramming after replacing the IBS? I have read that this is not required.- Can someone confirm?

And; is there any way to tell for sure that the IBS is not doing it's job? One suggested to disconnect the red wire for the IBS. If the problem then never occured again I could be sure that the IBS was faulty. Is this a way to go? For how long can the IBS be disconnected and can this give further complications having this disconnected?

Thanks for any help!
Old 11-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by jehovden' post='1061730' date='Nov 24 2009, 07:19 PM
Hello!

My car drains a lot of power it seems, and 3 different mornings I have been forced to start it on gear in a hill. Not the best way to start your day.

Talked to the dealer and they suggested replacing the IBS on the battery. They furhter claimed the new IBS means the car needs to be reprogrammed. And at least here in Norway that means $$$$....
A replacement incl. labor and reprogramming would be something like US$540.... and then they could not guarantee that the problem was fixed since there is no way to tell if the IBS is ok or malfunctioning. I saud no thanks for now.

First of all; does the car require any reprogramming after replacing the IBS? I have read that this is not required.- Can someone confirm?

And; is there any way to tell for sure that the IBS is not doing it's job? One suggested to disconnect the red wire for the IBS. If the problem then never occured again I could be sure that the IBS was faulty. Is this a way to go? For how long can the IBS be disconnected and can this give further complications having this disconnected?

Thanks for any help!
If you read through the following , you will find information on the IBS and registering a new battery:-

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...l=battery+drain

Do a search,there are other threads dealing with this topic.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 03/2005 535d M-tech Sapphire black, Beige dakota leather, 18'' Star spoke style 124, Navi professional 8.8', active steering, dynamic and adaptive xenon lights

Originally Posted by jehovden' post='1061730' date='Nov 24 2009, 08:19 PM
Hello!

Thanks for any help!
Hi,
Yes, disconneting IBS will stop the problem of dead battery in the morning if it's a faulty IBS which is causing that and there will be no problems with the car I have mine disconneted for about 5 days. I'm not sure about registering IBS because in my case I also replaced Battery and registered it with new IBS fitted. BMW dealer run a tests on my and confirmed that it was faulty IBS. Since that problem disappeared and new IBS cost me around 100 euro plus 50 euro for registering new battery.
Man you have killer prices in Norway!
Old 11-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 525i

Originally Posted by jehovden' post='1061730' date='Nov 24 2009, 02:19 PM
Hello!

Thanks for any help!
No reprogramming required for new IBS,

For new battery its recommended you program if you are going to a smaller battery but not necessary if you are putting a bigger battery in.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525D Touring (E61)

Thanks for your quick reply!

I will then disconnect the IBS for some days to see if this helps.

And yes, we DO have killer prices in Norway....
So this excellent forum has saved me some $ by getting tips and hints from all you people out there