E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 car wouldn't start, IBS sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 08:34 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006
Default E60 car wouldn't start, IBS sensor replacement

Was greeted with the "High Battery Discharge" warning light when I went to start the car. Nothing was left on in the car and the car wouldn't start. Even the steering wheel wouldn't unlock. Tried to jump start the car (from the front of course) but that too didn't work. Pressing the start/stop button resulted in no sound, no cranking, nothing.

So I'm thinking, starter, alternator, battery etc etc.

I went to the back of my car and disconnected the IBS sensor plug from the negative terminal.
The IBS sensor is built into the negative terminal and has 3 wires that come out of it. The red thicker wire connects to the positive terminal of the battery via a single pole plug. That's the one you need to disconnect.
The other two wires are connected into another plug and that is how your diagnostic software and the car talks to the IBS. No need to disconnect that.

After disconnecting the red IBS wire, I was able to jump start the car, from the front. Leaving the IBS cable off allowed the car to be used until I ordered a new IBS cable.

BMW have changed the IBS sensor on the negative cable. Its now a sealed unit and there is a plug on the end of the IBS module itself. Which then has to be converted to fit your car.
So had to buy 3 parts. (about £200 inc vat)
Battery lead, negative, IBS - 12427603567
Adapter lead IBS - 61129123572
Adapter IBS - 12517615476

Its very easy to work out how those three parts fit together.

Remove the old battery negative cable and the 2 plugs. The spanners in the tool box work both for the nut on the battery terminal as well as the Ground terminal nut on the car.

Put the new one on and plug in the ends.

You then need to tell the car that you have installed a new IBS. I did this by using INPA but I understand you can probably do this with Tool32 etc.
In INPA under Engine you need to choose your DDE module, there is Status option followed by an IBS option. Use the "Clear Histogram" option.

This now clears any previous battery charging history associated with the old IBS and will start a new charging pattern gathering.

Yes I could have lived without the IBS cable connected and it would have been fine. Fine until one day when I did leave a light or such on by mistake and has no IBS to tell the car to shut things down when the battery was draining. Besides, I've always keep my car in the best shape possible, I'm not going to change my habit just because she is now 8 years old!

Had I not been handy with my car and a laptop, the course of action would have been very clear. RAC would have come, tried to jump start the car, not succeeded. Would have to tow the car, lifted (due to the steering being locked), to the BMW garage, who would have charged be upwards of £500 for the parts, labour and 'programming'.

Hope this helps others.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Thank you for sharing!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:37 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW 550i

yes IBS is a tricky part will completely prevent car from starting. I have second one faulty now just disconnected wires does not bother me can live with faulty one. shame RAC is not aware about this.