E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

homemade scoop...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by RPIpower' post='822795' date='Mar 21 2009, 12:05 AM
Although things do need to be calm here, I highly doubt the home made ones will do anything. It took SEVERAL prototypes and hours of dyno testing to get the scoops designed correctly. I know what you mean though.
No he doesnt. I really dont need anyone to post on our behalf on the forums. Our products speak for itself. Those who dont believe in something we make? Well thats their decision. We always welcome people to come, dyno and race our customers.
see above
Being an enthusiast myself, its hard to believe that $99 for 7whp is even a question. When RPi was started, I was in college and worked at Walmart for cents over minimum wage. I saved up for months and bought parts for my car only to realize later on that the parts did nothing to give me more hp and in some cases, I lost power. RPi was started as a consumer reports type of business. We wanted to make REAL products with REAL results. When we price items out, we have to factor in the amount of R&D that goes into the product as well as material and labor costs. Our scoops are made of aluminum, not tin, and inspected by ME personally (YES, I CHECK EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE PERSONALLY), tig welded and powdercoated. Those who are familiar with welding will know how hard it is to tig weld aluminum, especially when its thin aluminum like our scoops are. That coupled with dyno proven results, we did not think $99 was a bad price. I thought to myself, if I was working for minimum wage, would I pay $99 for 7whp? Yes, I would. NO one gets ripped off by RPi and no one will ever get ripped off.
We dont have a patent number yet but we do have the filing number that was given to us in 2006. These things take time. The truth of the matter is, no one would be making anything like this if we didnt come up with it and prove it on the dyno. I dont mind someone trying to make their own scoop. Its just unfair to compare the home made scoops to what is made here on a car on the dyno with 40+ miles of dyno time.
With that, can we get some love on the forums? Why all the drama? If someone doesnt like the scoop, thats fine. If someone thinks one way is better or the other, bring it on. There is nothing wrong with a few runs done in fun. Just dont dissappear or not show up to your own challenge.
Well stated Eloy. ...and yes $99 for 7whp is a no brainer!
Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

Originally Posted by radzM550i' post='822438' date='Mar 20 2009, 04:02 PM
Why don't we just THANK RPI for inventing and giving us the idea of the scoops for our cars!!!!!!!

Why don't we just THANK RPI for designing and giving us the idea of the scoops for our cars!!!!!

How does that sound!!!

"Only fools would listen to foolish people!!!! -that goes to one member of this board!!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i w/ sport package: bone stock :( 2006 Yamaha R-6exy Raven: Fully Loaded Track weapon 2004 Ducati 749 Testaretta: Fully Loaded two other family cars that I dont care to mention, lol!

im wondering if I installed my RPI correctly?!?!, just by reading the post, if its off that can make a big difference!
Old 03-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by will2k' post='823174' date='Mar 21 2009, 05:34 PM
im wondering if I installed my RPI correctly?!?!, just by reading the post, if its off that can make a big difference!

better check, its rocket science according to RPi
Old 03-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530i 87 325is 85 VW GTI

Serious business going down.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ellicit' post='823215' date='Mar 21 2009, 05:34 PM
better check, its rocket science according to RPi
Its definitely not botany (the study of plants)...LOL Im messin with ya now
Old 03-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mchamner' post='823499' date='Mar 21 2009, 10:59 PM
Its definitely not botany (the study of plants)...LOL Im messin with ya now
Sounds like it was more trial and error than anything else. No hit against RPi (I have an RPi scoop installed myself, and will probably get their exhaust in the near future), but until I see some fluid dynamics calculations showing that the air flow through their scoop is truly optimized, I'm considering it trial and error, not engineering. But in the end, it still works and is a great product!
Old 03-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by dbpack' post='823513' date='Mar 21 2009, 10:39 PM
Sounds like it was more trial and error than anything else. No hit against RPi (I have an RPi scoop installed myself, and will probably get their exhaust in the near future), but until I see some fluid dynamics calculations showing that the air flow through their scoop is truly optimized, I'm considering it trial and error, not engineering. But in the end, it still works and is a great product!
but that's what science is, trial and error...form a conclusion, develop the tool, then measure it's results to see if your conclusion holds tru...in this case...dyno/hp gains...
Old 03-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='823517' date='Mar 21 2009, 11:54 PM
but that's what science is, trial and error...form a conclusion, develop the tool, then measure it's results to see if your conclusion holds tru...in this case...dyno/hp gains...
Right, but that's not what ENGINEERING is. Engineering is the application of known scientific principles, NOT trial and error. Look at it this way: A bridge is engineered. When it was decided to build the George Washington Bridge, they didn't build a bunch of bridges, testing each one until they found one that worked good. They used known scientific principles and many different engineering disciplines to design the bridge, then built it, once. They knew it would work because the design was based on math and the laws of physics. That's the difference between engineering and trial and error. If an engineer with expertise in fluid dynamics was hired to analyze RPi's scoop, I have no doubt the design would be improved, without the need for trial and error.
But like I said, the RPi scoop is a great product, and RPi is a great company dedicated to selling ONLY products that work!
Old 03-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by dbpack' post='823521' date='Mar 21 2009, 11:14 PM
But like I said, the RPi scoop is a great product, and RPi is a great company dedicated to selling ONLY products that work!
Agreed

Quick Reply: homemade scoop...