E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!
View Poll Results: Which option do you think would look best..?
MIxed, Dash in Brushed alum/steel. Center console in Carbon fiber.
5.88%
Use only brushed aluminum or steel vinyl. Do not mix.
58.82%
Keep it to Di Noc Carbon fiber of a lighter color.
23.53%
Leave it as is..
11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Help me decide between Di-noc/CF and Brushed Alum. for interior..

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

Originally Posted by 1Animal1
looks really good that!

Have you had the door cards off before? they are a bit of a PITA, I had all 4 of mine off at least 3 times each doing separate jobs and only realised how to refit properly on the final attempt

PS looks loads better with that cubby hole above the seat heat switches, do you only get that if you don't have full nav?
ha, i know they are a pita! any tips of advice on this?

I think the cubby hole is for (pre lci) non navi. I like it. it lets me put a phone in there nicely. I dont understand car interiors with no place to put a thing with exception of doors..
Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

Careful taking the handles off from the doors. I broke every tab on the handles when I did mine.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D Tourer - Pre LCI

As ET says above Bill...I'd buy a dozen clips to have handy.

Main thing for me was refitting the rubber that seals the window, when you get the cards off, you won't be able to mount the rubber flush anymore upon refitting - I found that by removing the metal clips on the removed cards (mounted beneath the rubber), reinsalling these metal clips on the actual door, then pushing the card (rubbers) into the clips. Hope this makes sense?

Oh and you'll need some long nose pliers, when you pull the door card off (you'll need to forcefully, bottom first) theres one main clip in the middle of the door which when you pull the door card out will leave a plastic piece behind, you'll need to remove the plastic clip from the door clip and reinstall that on the card - before you refit.

Hard to describe, but once its all off, it'll all make sense

PS I did all my work without removing the airbag connectors, these are a PITA to remove without breaking and a PITA to refit if you haven't broken the clip
Old 01-31-2013, 09:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bill109
Here is a few shot of my interior as is..

Thoughts?
-Bill
Have you thought about upgrading your shift knob to a shorter, weighted ZHP one? I think it's money well spent, it's got a great feel. I know the thread isn't about this but I cringe thinking about how that old shift knob felt in the base of my palm.

LeatherZ: ZHP Short Shift Knob

Sorry for the unsolicited advice...

Last edited by BSLNoel; 01-31-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BSLNoel
Have you thought about upgrading your shift knob to a shorter, weighted ZHP one? I think it's money well spent, it's got a great feel. I know the thread isn't about this but I cringe thinking about how that old shift knob felt in the base of my palm.

LeatherZ: ZHP Short Shift Knob

Sorry for the unsolicited advice...
no apologize needed, i always like to hear what people have to say and suggest!
as far as this weighted zhp knob..
yuck! i know everyone loves those knobs. i know! haha. i dont like the look. to plain jane and boring for my taste. ths knob i found is exactly what i was looking for. illuminated 6 speed with m logo.
i really wish it was piano black but i can always paint it! The taller shift knob on this car feels so perfect to me.. i had the old anatomic shaped knob before this newer knob in the pics. The height of the knob is perfect for the center arm rest
I have however been thinking about how to weight my current knob.

Last edited by Bill109; 01-31-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 PM
Members
Senior Members

As ET says above Bill...I'd buy a dozen clips to have handy.

Main thing for me was refitting the rubber that seals the window, when you get the cards off, you won't be able to mount the rubber flush anymore upon refitting - I found that by removing the metal clips on the removed cards (mounted beneath the rubber), reinsalling these metal clips on the actual door, then pushing the card (rubbers) into the clips. Hope this makes sense?

Oh and you'll need some long nose pliers, when you pull the door card off (you'll need to forcefully, bottom first) theres one main clip in the middle of the door which when you pull the door card out will leave a plastic piece behind, you'll need to remove the plastic clip from the door clip and reinstall that on the card - before you refit.

Hard to describe, but once its all off, it'll all make sense

PS I did all my work without removing the airbag connectors, these are a PITA to remove without breaking and a PITA to refit if you haven't broken the clip
ah yes, those sliding clips in the center of the door. i hear they are a pita!
i have been watching videos on youtube and googling some tips on it. i found a nice disassembly PDF on the BSW page for and audio upgrade which involves taking door cards off!

I am slightly lost on this..
"Main thing for me was refitting the rubber that seals the window, when you get the cards off, you won't be able to mount the rubber flush anymore upon refitting - I found that by removing the metal clips on the removed cards (mounted beneath the rubber), reinsalling these metal clips on the actual door, then pushing the card (rubbers) into the clips. Hope this makes sense?
i think il take a look at the doors and re read this.

Im going to keep looking through videos and info and attempt this soon.
I think if i can keep the airbag plugged in, i can take the door trim, wrap it and re insall without any issues.
thanks again for the heads up. im sure once its apart it'll make more sense!
-Bill
Old 02-01-2013, 12:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D Tourer - Pre LCI

it really will make more sense once its off - best of luck!!

oh!! and be careful with the tiny bolts on the back of the trim!!! they've a nasty habit of ripping the plastic off the trim which secures the back of the bolt... I ruined one piece by this method, and broke a few other (luckily still able to secure the trim upon refitting)

Tim
Old 02-01-2013, 05:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bill109
i really wish it was piano black but i can always paint it! .
May be neat if you wrapped it to match your interior now. I have my old one, non-illuminated, sitting on top my computer if you want me to crack it open to see how it comes apart.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BSLNoel
May be neat if you wrapped it to match your interior now. I have my old one, non-illuminated, sitting on top my computer if you want me to crack it open to see how it comes apart.
I've still got my old one here as well i was thinking about painting it gloss black. ive been tinkering with the idea to rip it apart myself. the idea of gloss black is growing on my for the shift knob however.

im not sure if wrapping it is an option. Getting a clean wrinkle free wrap on something that shape would be tough without distorting the brushed steel effect on the wrap..
If its been done i'd like to see some pics!

How about one of these, i wanted to do one of these but couldnt find pics in an e60 with brushed trim. the idea of the wearing alcantara bugged me as well..
Attached Thumbnails Help me decide between Di-noc/CF and Brushed Alum. for interior..-images.jpeg  

Last edited by Bill109; 02-01-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Go with brushed silver alum. for a nice contrast.

Quick Reply: Help me decide between Di-noc/CF and Brushed Alum. for interior..