E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Headers on M54 E60

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Originally Posted by BMWe60Fan
I will post when try it myself
Keep us posted
Old 03-28-2011, 08:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cleung
well I'm hoping that I will be able to diy, however I know that its going to have to be modified a little and I can't weld. One of the flanges on the headers is at a different angle on the e46 than it is on the e60 so I either have to cut and rotate the flange on the headers or else on the oem midpipe. I'm debating which one to do, been told the one on the midpipe is easier because not stainless steel however it would make changing back to stock a little more difficult. The O2 simulators I will likely do diy because no shop around here would even know what I'm talking about. Once they show up I'll try to document as much as possible.
On previous week I received my headers from motorsportpartz. Today I was talking with mechanic and may be at this weekend we will try to install headers. To disable warnings in iDrive I will try some tricks in VIN and DME coding with NCS Expert, if not, then flash ECU with WinKFP and EURO2 version of frimware.
About headers: so to rotate one of the flanges in headers I think the best variant is to cut midpipe and rotate flange as needed because it's not 304 stainless steel as headers.
cleung
what flange in headers (1-3 or 4-6) isn't connecting to OEM midpipe without modification? Also I'm afraid that length of some lambda's cables isn't enough for new headers
Old 03-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 5series
Model Year: 2004

Keep me updated man! I haven't put these on yet, because I have no clue what method will work. So please post up and maybe if possible make a DIY for all us fellow E60'ers who want to install headers on their M54 I6 engines, thanks!
Old 03-29-2011, 03:03 AM
Members

I will try to do this
But some problem - we can't simple coding DME to disable last lambda's, our DME is MS45.0 and has coding protection, so we need flash it to EURO2 version - something like this, I'm learning now.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Originally Posted by BMWe60Fan
On previous week I received my headers from motorsportpartz. Today I was talking with mechanic and may be at this weekend we will try to install headers. To disable warnings in iDrive I will try some tricks in VIN and DME coding with NCS Expert, if not, then flash ECU with WinKFP and EURO2 version of frimware.
About headers: so to rotate one of the flanges in headers I think the best variant is to cut midpipe and rotate flange as needed because it's not 304 stainless steel as headers.
cleung
what flange in headers (1-3 or 4-6) isn't connecting to OEM midpipe without modification? Also I'm afraid that length of some lambda's cables isn't enough for new headers
I didn't want to cut the midpipe just in case I don't like the new headers, but I agree it is easier to mod the midpipe. I can't remember which header fits with ot modding, I haven't taken a very good look at it yet (I'm still waiting for my O2 sims to come, I think they got lost in the mail). It didn't look like there was going to be an issue with the lambda wires but I guess if there is we will ahve to extend them.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Contributors

well just wanted to update everyone, I've started working on the headers today. I'm working at it solo and I'm about 4 hrs into it and finally have the headers loose but not out yet. I got 3 of the 4 O2 sensors out and 1 of them doesn't seem to want to budge. So I've decided its time for bed and I sprayed a bunch of WD40 on it and hopefully in the morning it may have loosened up a bit. Hopefully once I get the last O2 sensor out that I will be able to manage to get the headers out without removing the subframe like the e46 guys have to. It looks like I should have enough room to wiggle them out, and the new ones without the cats on them shouldn't be a problem to get back in. So far I think the hardest part is just tryng to get at all 16 nuts that are holding the headers to the manifold, some of them are in pretty tight spots ( my hands and arms are a little scrapped up now...). I'm hoping to have everything back together tomorrow night (keeping my fingers crossed)
Old 04-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cleung
well just wanted to update everyone, I've started working on the headers today. I'm working at it solo and I'm about 4 hrs into it and finally have the headers loose but not out yet. I got 3 of the 4 O2 sensors out and 1 of them doesn't seem to want to budge. So I've decided its time for bed and I sprayed a bunch of WD40 on it and hopefully in the morning it may have loosened up a bit. Hopefully once I get the last O2 sensor out that I will be able to manage to get the headers out without removing the subframe like the e46 guys have to. It looks like I should have enough room to wiggle them out, and the new ones without the cats on them shouldn't be a problem to get back in. So far I think the hardest part is just tryng to get at all 16 nuts that are holding the headers to the manifold, some of them are in pretty tight spots ( my hands and arms are a little scrapped up now...). I'm hoping to have everything back together tomorrow night (keeping my fingers crossed)
Excited to hear more on your progress. Take some photos if you can.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:38 PM
Contributors

I started to take some at the beginning then kinda forgot along the way. I'll try to take more tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Contributors

well after a pile of time spent and having the header flanges cut, I found out the hard way that the headers are not quite long enough and not quite at the right angle for the flanges to line up :thumbsdown: So now I'm sitting with my car torn apart wondering if I should continue to pursue this are give up

My options is to just put the old headers back on and say I tried and failed, or else to bolt the new headers on still and leave the midpipe detached and drive to a muffler shop and have them mod the midpipes to line up.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 5series
Model Year: 2004

Dude don't give up! Take it to the shop and see what they can do, let me know man I haven't had the time to install mine yet, but I will definitely take it to a shop soon, let me know how it goes, and take pictures along the way, thanks man!

Quick Reply: Headers on M54 E60