E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Hard drive compatible with the E60's USB/iPod interface

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow this is intresting.....ill look into it
Old 10-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by kekkos' post='688967' date='Oct 9 2008, 04:00 PM
I haven't read any of the previous threads regarding this but I just want to add something that you might find useful. Last week I was on Dension's representative and I saw a Dension accessory named USB booster. It was a 15-20 cm USB cable with some circuitry on the one side and an extra red wire which I thing is connected to 12V power to provide the extra power needed to run some hard drives. I checked Dension's website but is not listed there. If someone is interested in this cable just let me know and I can call the shop and get more info.
I know about this, its basically a 12V -> 5V DC convertor that provides the USD drive with a bit more power than provided by the Dension. Note : You actually need more current and not more voltage to get these drives to spin. If you notice some drives come with a double USB jack on one side - what that simply does is double the current at the same voltage.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='689202' date='Oct 9 2008, 03:31 PM
I know about this, its basically a 12V -> 5V DC convertor that provides the USD drive with a bit more power than provided by the Dension. Note : You actually need more current and not more voltage to get these drives to spin. If you notice some drives come with a double USB jack on one side - what that simply does is double the current at the same voltage.
Ironically, one of my external drives came with one of those "double" USB jacks to help increase the current but, as you know, the E60 only has one USB jack so the only way around it is to supplement the power with some other device (like the 12V to 5V converter) or simply get a drive that has a lower power requirement.

My new drive is still working perfectly today (spun up multiple times all by itself) and again, I can't stress enough how perfectly it fits in the bottom of the console -- even in it's little neoprene slip-on case, it fits flat on the floor of the compartment! The built-in cable makes it an even more elegant solution that pretty much everything else I've seen...
Old 10-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

The nice thing with this usb booster (or 12V -> 5V converter, according to Bruce) is that you have the freedom to use any drive you want.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

You don't need to buy a fancy usb booster from Dension, just pick up a car charger for any of the phones that are powered by a USB port (e.g. HTCs or Motorola razr etc) and then use that as power for your USB device and then just take the USB pins from the USB power. Ofcourse you will need to build you own USB plug that take power from one place and data from the USB connector.

Another thing that you can do is buy a cheap Compact Flash adaptor for your USB drive and that will convert it to solid state CF which does not need a lot of power to run.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Although I agree that there are many options available -- large flash drives, regular drives with boosted power, iPods, or low power drives, there's something to be said for elegance. To me, not having adaptors or bulky wires running everywhere means a lot. For the last year, I had a decent setup with a drive that usually worked. The wire I had was only about 8 inches long, etc.

Now, with my new setup, I seem to have 100% reliability, no heat issues, and the fit couldn't be better...

Here's two pics of the drive as it sits in the console out of it's neoprene case (one pic with flash and one without):

Hard drive compatible with the E60's USB/iPod interface-204_0458__custom_.jpg

Hard drive compatible with the E60's USB/iPod interface-204_0454__custom_.jpg

And here's a pic of the drive as it sits in the console inside the neoprene case. It fits a bit more snug but still lays perfectly flat:

Hard drive compatible with the E60's USB/iPod interface-204_0460__custom_.jpg
Old 10-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='689410' date='Oct 10 2008, 02:42 AM
Although I agree that there are many options available -- large flash drives, regular drives with boosted power, iPods, or low power drives, there's something to be said for elegance. To me, not having adaptors or bulky wires running everywhere means a lot. For the last year, I had a decent setup with a drive that usually worked. The wire I had was only about 8 inches long, etc.

Now, with my new setup, I seem to have 100% reliability, no heat issues, and the fit couldn't be better...

Here's two pics of the drive as it sits in the console out of it's neoprene case (one pic with flash and one without):

Very nice Rudy !!
Old 10-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

In the capital of the BMWland there is a statue of Rudy in bronze.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

Nice setup
Old 10-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Members

My Ride: [b]1993 Toyota Supra MKIV (6-speed Targa top) - SP67DBB Single Turbo[/b]

I have tested a Freecom Toughdrive 120GB and it also works beautifully on the USB port.

It''s much easier to select songs compared to an iPod connected to a Dension 500, because you have a lot less clicks to get to the song you want.

I never use playlists but always navigate directories with artists.

I have ordered a new Freecom Mobile Drive XXS 320GB (110x80x13,5mm, price 89 Euro) so I can put my whole CD collection in losless WMA format on it. My computer is now hard at work converting everything from FLAC to WMA as we speak, it takes about 26 hours!

Quick Reply: Hard drive compatible with the E60's USB/iPod interface