E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Hard drive compatible with the E60's USB/iPod interface

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If you've followed some of the older threads here about using USB hard drives instead of an iPod or flash drive, you probably know that based on a drive's power requirements, some work well and some don't work at all.

For about a year now, I've been using a 2.5" Hitachi drive in a Dynex external USB enclosure and have had some great (but not perfect) results. The issue I was having was that sometimes the drive wouldn't spin up when power was first applied to the drive. Every once in a while, I had to "help" it spin up by tapping the drive or shaking it somewhat. Once it began to spin, the thing always worked really well.

Recently, I got tired of having to help it spin so I went back and read the older threads about this and decided to find a drive with lower power requirements. Other members seemed happy with using a 1.8" drive instead of a 2.5" one. I was almost ready to buy a 1.8" drive and enclosure to mount it in when I stumbled on what seems like the perfect solution for our cars...

The Aegis Mini Ultra-Portable Pocket Drive (made by Apricorn) is pretty much made for the E60!

Hard drive compatible with the E60's USB/iPod interface-1069_1.jpg

Not only does it require less power (and so far it seems to spin up without any help each and every time), it has a built in USB cable and fits PERFECTLY in the console! It comes in 80Gig or 120Gig versions and I ended up getting the 80Gig version for $134.24 at Provantage.

Here's a link to the Apricorn product page for more information:
http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php...amp;anc=#bottom

Although I've only had it for a day, I'm pretty sure that it will not let me down since the old drive worked most of the time and I'm sure that this unit requires considerably less power.

In case anyone is interested in the older discussions on this topic, take a look here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=42656
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=45644

Hope that helps -- if I encounter any problems over the next few days, I'll be sure to post an update!

(One more small detail I want to make note of...recently I had an E90 loaner -- a 335i coupe -- and found that my old drive worked every time with the USB inteface on that car. Clearly, it seems that BMW has upped the power output of the interface but if you don't already have a drive, getting the one I describe above is probably the safest bet.)
Old 10-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Nice find Rudy!!
Old 10-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='688566' date='Oct 8 2008, 08:40 PM
If you've followed some of the older threads here about using USB hard drives instead of an iPod or flash drive, you probably know that based on a drive's power requirements, some work well and some don't work at all.

For about a year now, I've been using a 2.5" Hitachi drive in a Dynex external USB enclosure and have had some great (but not perfect) results. The issue I was having was that sometimes the drive wouldn't spin up when power was first applied to the drive. Every once in a while, I had to "help" it spin up by tapping the drive or shaking it somewhat. Once it began to spin, the thing always worked really well.

Recently, I got tired of having to help it spin so I went back and read the older threads about this and decided to find a drive with lower power requirements. Other members seemed happy with using a 1.8" drive instead of a 2.5" one. I was almost ready to buy a 1.8" drive and enclosure to mount it in when I stumbled on what seems like the perfect solution for our cars...

The Aegis Mini Ultra-Portable Pocket Drive (made by Apricorn) is pretty much made for the E60!

Attachment 61307

Not only does it require less power (and so far it seems to spin up without any help each and every time), it has a built in USB cable and fits PERFECTLY in the console! It comes in 80Gig or 120Gig versions and I ended up getting the 80Gig version for $134.24 at Provantage.

Here's a link to the Apricorn product page for more information:
http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php...amp;anc=#bottom

Although I've only had it for a day, I'm pretty sure that it will not let me down since the old drive worked most of the time and I'm sure that this unit requires considerably less power.

In case anyone is interested in the older discussions on this topic, take a look here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=42656
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=45644

Hope that helps -- if I encounter any problems over the next few days, I'll be sure to post an update!

(One more small detail I want to make note of...recently I had an E90 loaner -- a 335i coupe -- and found that my old drive worked every time with the USB inteface on that car. Clearly, it seems that BMW has upped the power output of the interface but if you don't already have a drive, getting the one I describe above is probably the safest bet.)
Wow. Top drawer info, Rudy. Thanks. Just curious as to what types of data do you put onto the hard drive, besides mp3s, that you can use in the e60? Thanks again.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by juris335' post='688575' date='Oct 8 2008, 08:59 PM
Wow. Top drawer info, Rudy. Thanks. Just curious as to what types of data do you put onto the hard drive, besides mp3s, that you can use in the e60? Thanks again.
Just music files...that's all that the USB interface on the car is for.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

I tried a hitachi 2.5" (with an adapter to US and on my 5 (I have the Dension Gateway 500) it didn't spin up: the light came on, but it didn't work.
I don't need 80 or 120 GB (I got an USB stick), but who knows if this Aegis works on the Dension...
Old 10-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to add that some cables is the reason that causes the fault. Try with another type of cable. The shorter and thicker, the better
Old 10-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Senior Members

i was my car was compatible to run this. or is it? how do i know?
Old 10-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Can we just plug a USB HD into the car via 'the usb cable/port that i heard is in the glove compartment but have never found it'?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

I haven't read any of the previous threads regarding this but I just want to add something that you might find useful. Last week I was on Dension's representative and I saw a Dension accessory named USB booster. It was a 15-20 cm USB cable with some circuitry on the one side and an extra red wire which I thing is connected to 12V power to provide the extra power needed to run some hard drives. I checked Dension's website but is not listed there. If someone is interested in this cable just let me know and I can call the shop and get more info.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

Thanks for the awesome info Rudy! I will definitely look into this.

Quick Reply: Hard drive compatible with the E60's USB/iPod interface