E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

got my aftermarket stereo installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

thanks for the insite victory.. so i dropped my car back at the shop this morning. the first time around i would rate my beats at a 4/10. the treble and highs were loud and clear no issues there. the problem was the mids were non exsistant and the bass was muffld and distant.... first i bought the sws-8s. the installer put one in and left the other stock. side by side the oem underseat sub sounded better for the mid range fill we were after. i wasnt expecting nor wanting low bass from them. if i didnt have subs in the trunkl i would have kept them and passed them at a lower freq. so we kept the oems. ( sws-8 for sale never used) so now my mids are back where they should be. i have them powered at 100 watts each. next we vented the trunk deck. just cut out some clean holes so the bass could get right up into the reardeck foam and little grill thats at the end of the rear window. we also cut out the ski hole. you are right saying that it wont make a diffreince with the ski hole because my box is sealing off the area. (to a degree) theres a 6 inch gap between the seat and the box but its tight on the top and only a inch gap on the sides.... so in essence its still sealing off the trunk, but all in all it is a night and day diffirence. now when the bass hits the hole cabin is under distress and i can feel it deep in my chest. the eclipse subs i have a more musical and sq oreinted then spl but the shit hits hard.like 1200 watts should i know it would hit harder if i moved my box to the front of the trunk by the tailights but that aint happening.i may see if the installer can lower the box an inch so that the top of it and the trunk lid are gapped. but i dont think its nessisary now...... SOOO cutting out the rear deck and ski holes DID make a big diffirence and i still have the mtx REQ5 peice. the olnly reason im ditching the mtx peice for the cleansweep or something else in the near future is because the alternator whine is bad and he tried many things to get rid of it. its coming from the req5 unit nothing else.. the onl thing that concerns me now is my lights dimming when the bass hits. not the headlights more just the interiors dim aa lil id rate my beats 7.5/10 now shit hits hard sounds good and people roll up there windows.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:22 PM
mc5
Members

My Ride: 535xi M3 vert

Did those guys even put a capacitor across your battery? Thats why your lights are dimming. What a pos audio shop.

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
thanks for the insite victory.. so i dropped my car back at the shop this morning. the first time around i would rate my beats at a 4/10. the treble and highs were loud and clear no issues there. the problem was the mids were non exsistant and the bass was muffld and distant.... first i bought the sws-8s. the installer put one in and left the other stock. side by side the oem underseat sub sounded better for the mid range fill we were after. i wasnt expecting nor wanting low bass from them. if i didnt have subs in the trunkl i would have kept them and passed them at a lower freq. so we kept the oems. ( sws-8 for sale never used) so now my mids are back where they should be. i have them powered at 100 watts each. next we vented the trunk deck. just cut out some clean holes so the bass could get right up into the reardeck foam and little grill thats at the end of the rear window. we also cut out the ski hole. you are right saying that it wont make a diffreince with the ski hole because my box is sealing off the area. (to a degree) theres a 6 inch gap between the seat and the box but its tight on the top and only a inch gap on the sides.... so in essence its still sealing off the trunk, but all in all it is a night and day diffirence. now when the bass hits the hole cabin is under distress and i can feel it deep in my chest. the eclipse subs i have a more musical and sq oreinted then spl but the shit hits hard.like 1200 watts should i know it would hit harder if i moved my box to the front of the trunk by the tailights but that aint happening.i may see if the installer can lower the box an inch so that the top of it and the trunk lid are gapped. but i dont think its nessisary now...... SOOO cutting out the rear deck and ski holes DID make a big diffirence and i still have the mtx REQ5 peice. the olnly reason im ditching the mtx peice for the cleansweep or something else in the near future is because the alternator whine is bad and he tried many things to get rid of it. its coming from the req5 unit nothing else.. the onl thing that concerns me now is my lights dimming when the bass hits. not the headlights more just the interiors dim aa lil id rate my beats 7.5/10 now shit hits hard sounds good and people roll up there windows.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mc5
Did those guys even put a capacitor across your battery? Thats why your lights are dimming. What a pos audio shop.

A capacitor ? Across the battery ? No comments in regards to the shop, but your 'advice' is not exactly stellar.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Go back to the begining of the thread and see what i recommended for the alternator whine
Old 10-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nelson29
Go back to the begining of the thread and see what i recommended for the alternator whine

That is for EMI, although it still shouldn't be needed. He is complaining about dimming lights.

For me ... I trust the caps IN my amplifiers.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

YEA nelson i saw that peice. the installer said he tried a few ground loop converters or some shit but the whine is coming as a direct result of the mtx unit. so were going to swap that out and hope it goes away. it is pretty fuckn annoying and pretty bad. yea the interrior lights dim a lil on the bass. the hids dont dim tho