E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Free Mod!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

As some of you know, I'm very skeptical when it comes to power increase claims for most mods, including exhausts and so-called "cold air intakes." While you might get some power increase (and usually at the expense of low end torque loss with exhausts), my view has always been that what small % power increase there might (or might not <_< ) be, isn't perceptible by most, and certainly isn't worth the $ spent. If you want a louder exhaust, great--spend the money to get more sound. An intake system might, likewise, increase intake and exhaust note--terrific. But I've never subscribed to the theory that the money spent on these mods would yield significant power increases that a normal human being could detect, and certainly not relative to their cost.

If you haven't noticed, the air intake on the US 545i (perhaps on other E60 cars) contains an additional filter element (a US emissions requirement) that is a hydrocarbon trap, which is not found on ROW cars. More info here:
http://www.engelhard.com/Lang1/xDocIDD5787.../up1/SubSiteID0

There has been a bit of discussion regarding this on another board, since this additional filter element is not present on ROW cars. I decided to remove this filter, based on discussion on m5board, and the post below, showing a very easy removal DIY (the pix are for an M5, but I removed the filter on my 545i using them):
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66688

While I had the intake cover removed, I cleaned the lower intake area, which had a surprising amount of junk in it (after only a year), and I took the opportunity to to clean the orange air filter by tapping it on the ground with the bottom side down, which released a surprising amount of debris.

Then I took the car out for a drive. Did I feel an increase in "seat of the pants" power, an increase in throttle response, or notice an increased intake or exhaust note? Who knows??!! I only drove for 5 minutes, and it might take longer than that for the ECU to adapt to whatever increased air flow might exist. But I do feel comfortable that, since this filter is only required on US cars, I haven't compromised the filtration of the air going into my engine, while at the same time increasing the air flow (by how much--who knows...), which can't be a bad thing--freer breathing equals more power, right?!
Old 02-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

hmmmm...thanks for sharing. I'm gonna try and do it now as we speak and go for a drive later....will report on the differences....
Old 02-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

wow....just finished removing them. Simple mod to do and only takes 5-10 mins max. Basically...for the 5 series you could skip steps 2-4 and 11. I found the grey filter to be hard to remove and had to use a screwdriver to pry it loose, but overall it was a really easy job. Now time for supper/test drive....will report later...
Old 02-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Members

I had removed my secondary filter way back when I installed my K&N filter (about 9/mo ago). I think there was some increase in intitial throttle response, but who knows how much power exactly. I only did it because it seemed obvious this filter was some emmision thing, the M5 post obviously confirmed my thinking.

Also, I had my car serviced and the tech either did not notice or did not care this filter was missing.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Senior Members

hmmmm....just came back from my supper/drive. Yes, as mentioned above, throttle response improved and the car seems faster. The difference was clearly evident at 3-4K rpm when u push it at full throttle. I went to approx 90mph in 4th and when you push it the increase was really obvious which is a good thing considering the 5 minutes spent achieving such results. Sound-wise there was no difference at all.

All in all it was a quality 5-10 minutes spent, thanks alot Stream for bringing it up, we all should do this...
Old 02-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

thanks for the info, I'll do this mod tommorow afternoon
Old 02-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Thanks Stream. Very interesting. My Dinan CAI is on hold for now. Maybe I'll try what you suggest and not get it--getting Dinan Step programming instead if, and when, it comes out--hopefully soon. The Step's shifting is looking more and more like the culprit with 20.01.00. Although there still be more to the story.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Znod' post='233937' date='Feb 2 2006, 11:06 PM
Thanks Stream. Very interesting. My Dinan CAI is on hold for now. Maybe I'll try what you suggest and not get it--getting Dinan Step programming instead if, and when, it comes out--hopefully soon. The Step's shifting is looking more and more like the culprit with 20.01.00. Although there still be more to the story.
I know of another cheap mod. Get one of those air duster cans ($7 for 16 oz) and retrofit into the intake. Run a pulley string from the trigger to the inside of the car. When you need a burst of "cold air," pull the string. Man, cold air PLUS blown air! That's CAI and SC all in one!

I need to go patent it now.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='233953
I know of another cheap mod. Get one of those air duster cans ($7 for 16 oz) and retrofit into the intake. Run a pulley string from the trigger to the inside of the car. When you need a burst of "cold air," pull the string. Man, cold air PLUS blown air! That's CAI and SC all in one!

[/quote]
Old 02-03-2006, 05:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='233953

[/quote]
Great thinking. I've been trying to figure out how to do that. Actually, a CAI, SC, and NOS all in 1. What a deal for so cheap.

Quick Reply: Free Mod!