E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

FM Modulators and Ipod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 08:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530I Sport Package, Premium Package, Xenon Headlights, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, 20" Hartge Classic 9" Front, 10" Rear, Pirelli P-Zero Nero 245, 30, ZR 20 Fronts and 285, 25, ZR 20 Rears, Ipod using I-Trip

I have read alot of reviews, and most suggest using the Griffin I-Trip for your Ipod. I have just purchased it and seems I have alot more static in this vehicle ( 2005 BMW 530I ).

Does anyone know where the actual antenna is in this car? Does this car have some antenna that doesnt support FM Modulators correctly?

I have alot of experience using FM modulators in CD changers and I am well aware of the Frequency response issues and some static issues. ( I work for Alpine Electronics as an Eval Engineer for Audio and Navigation ) However, it seems that this vehicle, in particular, prevents the FM Mod working well. It works, but there seems to be alot of static , unless you are standing at the back bumper .

Any suggestions?
Old 11-29-2004, 09:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i - titanium silver - sport package - premium package - bi-xeon -

Originally Posted by kflashdot.com' date='Nov 29 2004, 09:30 PM
I have read alot of reviews, and most suggest using the Griffin I-Trip for your Ipod.? I have just purchased it and seems I have alot more static in this vehicle ( 2005 BMW 530I ).

Does anyone know where the actual antenna is in this car?? Does this car have some antenna that doesnt support FM Modulators correctly?

I have alot of experience using FM modulators in CD changers and I am well aware of the Frequency response issues and some static issues.? ( I work for Alpine Electronics as an Eval Engineer for Audio and Navigation ) However, it seems that this vehicle, in particular, prevents the FM Mod working well.? It works, but there seems to be alot of static , unless you are standing at the back bumper .?

Any suggestions?
[snapback]62353[/snapback]

the attena i believe is on the back weindshiled ... hense why your i-trip sounds good by the back bumper...but if you want good quality audio from your stock system from your ipod i would sugest getting the AUX input from the dealer
Old 11-30-2004, 05:45 AM
Members

You can also wire in a modulator into the antenna system. There is actually 3 antennas in the e60 and the system rotates between all three so you need to insert the modulator after the three antennas are combined into one.

Pablo
Old 11-30-2004, 05:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Titanium Silver, Black Nasca Leather, Servotronic Steering, , De-Chrome, Bi-Xenons including Headlight Washer Jets, adaptive headlights, Advanced A/C, Auto Dim Interior & Exterior Mirrors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Front Centre Sliding Armrest, extended lights package

Originally Posted by PabloR' date='Nov 30 2004, 02:45 PM
You can also wire in a modulator into the antenna system. There is actually 3 antennas in the e60 and the system rotates between all three so you need to insert the modulator after the three antennas are combined into one.

Pablo
[snapback]62454[/snapback]
very interesting where exactly are the three antennas located PabloR thank you
Old 11-30-2004, 06:28 AM
Contributors

Interesting! I have an iPod and the iTrip. I recently used both on a trip to an e60 meet. I just let it sit on the passengers seat without any problems or static. All worked as they should. I would not expect any differences between the cars. I do have Logic 7 though.
Sorry to hear you troubles. By chance do you have tinted windows? If so is the tint the type that has metallic bits in it's composition?
Old 11-30-2004, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

remarks:
Fm modulator: means that you modulate the sound to go over the antenna and the radio demodulate again: 2 times lost of quality. white noise is coming up
FM transmitter: you send the signal over the radio: works well if you have a very strong transmitter that overules the radio stations (had one, very poor quality sometimes)
Aux input: no loose of quality (not hearable) same as your hifi at home
Old 11-30-2004, 11:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

I had a Belkin and switched to the Moster Cable's FM modulator and it works great in my E60.