E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Fitting M5 Cluster in 2008 530i

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by customdusty
I just installed umichchris' old M5 cluster in my 08 550i and got the following errors:

Driver seatback not locked
Passenger seatback not locked
Transmission malfunction
Electronic damper malfunction
Service Due

I decided to take it back out and wait until I can talk with someone about coding to find out the prognosis.
Kudos for Chris offering to take it back.

This is really why I tell people to just do the white cluster mod instead. Straight forward and no errors. There literally is only one benefit of having the M5 cluster, and that's only if you have HUD as well. Otherwise, the cluster cost more than doing white cluster mod, and then you have to add on the coding cost + frustration. PLUS, even if you decide to live with the errors, without the coding, the cluster isn't always lit (by default, cluster is always lit on M5s), which makes it not as easy "quick glance" during the day.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

hey simon, when it was installed in my car....it was always lit...during day and night...whenever the ignition was on....all the lights (notably the the white back lighting)

i loved the cluster while it was installed...even with the errors.

the white led mod is a cool mod....i just wasnt comfortable with taking my old cluster completely apart, soldering new LEDs, removing needles, painting portions of the cluster, etc...

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Kudos for Chris offering to take it back.

This is really why I tell people to just do the white cluster mod instead. Straight forward and no errors. There literally is only one benefit of having the M5 cluster, and that's only if you have HUD as well. Otherwise, the cluster cost more than doing white cluster mod, and then you have to add on the coding cost + frustration. PLUS, even if you decide to live with the errors, without the coding, the cluster isn't always lit (by default, cluster is always lit on M5s), which makes it not as easy "quick glance" during the day.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Humm, interesting, I guess the kombi module does reside in the cluster, so it retained the setting of what it is then. (I stand corrected on that)

Chris, I am surprised that white cluster mod makes you uncomfortable considering all the other mods you've done, lol.

It might be that I have done so many white cluster mods, but it's really not bad at all. Takes an hour to hour and a half at most once you're familiar.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

Haha! Simon you're quite right, all the other mods I figured worst case scenario I'd buy a replacement part if I break something (had to buy an extra headlight during my Orion install lol) but I researched how much a new cluster was and it scared me off. I was quoted $800 plus instal/coding if I had to get a new one if my mod project went awry so I went another route instead