E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

facelift E60 LED lights installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='422712' date='May 9 2007, 11:04 PM
But that bulb in the circle will light up right?
Yes it will but only at half power i.e. like you see it today. On European cars when FOG is switched on that becomes brighter similar to when you apply the brake the outer light become brighter.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='422706' date='May 10 2007, 12:57 AM
Since all of us that did the group buy got the Euro Spec lights, what does this mean for the U.S. guys, will we know have rear fogs???
No, just there is a constant source there to connect the LED bars and side marking LEDs without the fear to burn them via the brake force display function
Old 05-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='422715' date='May 9 2007, 11:07 PM
No, just there is a constant source there to connect the LED bars and side marking LEDs without the fear to burn them during the brake assist function
My Theory : Actually Nick I think there is no fear of burning. Infact in your current set-up you are underpowering the LEDs. Why don't you try and parallel up the LEDs to the Brake light as I mentioned to see the difference.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='422698' date='May 10 2007, 12:27 AM
If you read the manual is states that on adaptive braking more of the taillight is lit brighter. Also if you think about it it makes sense that BMW choose that one for adaptive braking because its got the largest surface area. Also its the only bulbs that doesn't have two intensity lighting under normal circumstances. If the fog lights are the adaptive lights as well then what happens when the fog lights are on! I remember seeing an image with the Brake Force Lighting lighting up the middle section.
I don't think we have too big an issue here but its something that we will need to test out.

Nick what happens if you parallel the LEDs with the Brake light. What happens with the LED. By definition the LED should not go brighter but it'll be a good test to see. Also apparently on normal Taillight mode all bulbs are powered to +6V volts, the LCM pumped +12V to make them brighter i.e. their normal rating.

Its possible to make on the LED rods light up.

EDIT : I was wondering where I saw the picture of the Brake Force Display and then I remember and pulled out the brochure of the pre-LCI car. Its as I mentioned, look under Brake Force Display. On the LCI they seem to have put it the other way around where the outer light is the Brake Force light see http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=attach...st&id=39865
Do you want me to give it a try?

Ok I will check tomorrow along with some other things I have in mind.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='422719' date='May 9 2007, 11:12 PM
Do you want me to give it a try?

Ok I will check tomorrow along with some other things I have in mind.
Please.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Contributors

We still need some with an LCI car to show us how the LCI taillight works and operates. Need a European car with rear fog lights.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Contributors

Another thought would be to add some Switching Diodes in the path of the Tail Light and Brake Light so that they light up only at the higher intensity and stay off at the lower intensity thus making the Light rods stand out.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='422719
Another thought would be to add some Switching Diodes in the path of the Tail Light and Brake Light so that they light up only at the higher intensity and stay off at the lower intensity thus making the Light rods stand out.
interesting idea
Old 05-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Senior Members

I found this auction on Ebay, the new 2008 tail lights by roveractive. He mentions a retrofit cable set in which you will need to modify the connectors and he includes a diagram for that. I would contact him, he might be able to help with the install.

Exact quote in auction (Its in green type on the auction):

"*In order to retrofit these to a 2004-2007 E60 you need a retrofit cable set which is not shown but included with this purchase. You will also need to modify the connectors for which you will be provided a diagram to follow.*"

Link to auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E60-Gen...1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi-Titanium Silver-Black Dakota-Premium Pkg-Cold Weather Pkg-Navigation-Sirius Modifications Comming Soon

I received my lights today, I love them and cant wait to install them but we all have the same problem, not "plug and play"...emailed Justin at rover active today (he supplied the lights for the group buy), I emailed him the following first:

justin,

I received the tail lights today everything was perfect, the only problem is there arent "plug and play" the plugs and sockets are different from the old lights, is there any conversion kit, conversion plug or other solution, if not do you know if one is comming out from bmw soon if so id be interested to purchase it. because they are useless without one. please let me know ASAP.

thanks,

He replied:

Hi,

Please email Alex as he has all the details about the retrofit.

Please feel free to contact me if you'd like additional assistance.

Thanks

Justin

RoverActive

1 888 BWROVER

www.roveractive.net

www.roveractive.biz

whats going on here? now with the ebay link it shows he mentions a retrofit cable kit?

Quick Reply: facelift E60 LED lights installed!