E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Experience with JL Motoring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:05 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with JL Motoring?

I think this is the right area, I apologize if I am incorrect. This wouldn't go into buyer or seller feedback since I haven't received it yet.

I recently purchased a carbon fiber spoiler from JL Motoring online. Before I bought it, I wrote them asking if it would fit my model 2010 LCI 528i, which I got a reply weeks later saying sorry our email never sent out, yes this fits your vehicle.

I bought the spoiler as soon as I found out that it fit my vehicle. I bought this almost a week ago and paid through paypal, and still have receieved no confirmation email or a shipping/tracking email. I then researched and found a ton of people who posted things that they were very unhappy with JL motoring due to spoiler fitments and bad customer service. It surprises me how a business that appears decent can really be this bad??

My question is - since I haven't heard anything and people said they ended up waiting weeks and the spoilers still fitting like crap, should I cancel my order? Has anyone had bad experiences with this company? I wanted to call them so badly but they don't even have a phone number!! Just seems kind of stupid for a BUSINESS to not have a phone number on the website. And shady.

If someone could recommend someone who has this exact spoiler from a better vendor, I'm probably going to end up canceling my order. Thank you!

BMW E60 5 Series ACS Style Carbon Fiber Trunk Spoiler
Old 12-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Members

Can you say "red flags"? Run now, before you can't get out.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I have never dealt with JL motoring, however, the spoiler that you bought is identical to the one I bought on eBay for $120 - shipped (even the same pictures). That eBay seller was WAY more responsive than you say JL motoring is, they emailed me within minutes of purchase, then the next day with my tracking info. I had the spoiler mounted on my car within 5 days - can't get better than that.
As for fitment, mine is about 90-93%, good, but not perfect. I can live with that. Most carbon fiber parts have the carbon wrapped around a plastic or fiberglass structure, since carbon fiber needs to have epoxy to cure it in the mold, and the curing process produces a good amount of heat, the base structure is nearly always distorted slightly. So even if the original mold was perfect fitment, by the time the CF is cured it will be off. Which is why I would NEVER pay a premium for CF parts - they are ALWAYS off slightly. I love the look of CF, but it makes no sense to pay a premium for something that you know going in won't have exactly perfect fitment.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:46 PM
New Members

Thanks for the replies JW and pjinca, it is appreciated! Pjinca could you refer me to the guy that sold you the CF spoiler on ebay? You're pretty satisfied right even though it was about 90-93% fitment? I can deal with that as long as it isn't so distorted that it's obvious from 2-3 feet away. If the seller is still on the market, I have an eBay account so I will gladly order from them. The problem is now getting in contact with JL to get my money back. Grrr!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by BilboTeabaggins
Thanks for the replies JW and pjinca, it is appreciated! Pjinca could you refer me to the guy that sold you the CF spoiler on ebay? You're pretty satisfied right even though it was about 90-93% fitment? I can deal with that as long as it isn't so distorted that it's obvious from 2-3 feet away. If the seller is still on the market, I have an eBay account so I will gladly order from them. The problem is now getting in contact with JL to get my money back. Grrr!
LOL, if you paid through PayPal then you can easily get your money back. You have a legitimate grievance, they will help you. As for the eBay seller I bought from? I will check and let you know.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

You will end up getting your stuff. I had the same experience with them. I ended up finding the guy's personal email address somewhere and got a hold of him that way. they are just VERY bad at communicating but the parts do arrive. I got a Hamann rep front lip for my old Dinan 550i and it fit pretty well. Also got the rear spoiler from them and it was a "decent" fit.

I think his name was "James Lin"...been a long while. If I dig it up I will let you know.

-Mike

Try this number 360-305-4427

also james@jl-motoring.com