E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 530i Oriental Blue Metalic Beige InteriorPremium PackageCold Weather Package

Before I bought my e60 my previous vehicle had all aftermarket stereo equipment so I was use to loud, clear, and good solid bass with my music. I dont have the upgraded Logic 7 just the standard speakers. I am happy with the clarity but I was wondering if anyone has upgraded their BMW speakers or even the amp. I dont even know where the amp is in my car. Will it void the warranty if I upgraded the speakers? Anyone with comments with this would be appreciated.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530i Oriental Blue Metalic Beige InteriorPremium PackageCold Weather Package

Originally Posted by Sam the BMW man' post='396001' date='Feb 26 2007, 07:41 PM
Before I bought my e60 my previous vehicle had all aftermarket stereo equipment so I was use to loud, clear, and good solid bass with my music. I dont have the upgraded Logic 7 just the standard speakers. I am happy with the clarity but I was wondering if anyone has upgraded their BMW speakers or even the amp. I dont even know where the amp is in my car. Will it void the warranty if I upgraded the speakers? Anyone with comments with this would be appreciated.
anyone?
Old 02-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Senior Members

Yes a bunch of us have. Have you tried searching the forum, I know there is tons of info out there about it.

For the most part, if you are going to upgrade your speakers you are going to want to upgrade your amp, and a lot of people are going to tell you that you should then upgrade your headunit also. Of course this can end up getting really expensive. Upgrading your headunit isn't 100% necessary, just like upgrading your amp isn't 100% necessary, but you will definitely see improvements with each step you do.

The downside to upgrading your headunit is that you will lose some of the functionality of idrive. I didn't like the sound of that so I decided not to do it.

I personally replaced the stock amp and speakers and also installed subs. I used Focal speakers and JBL subs and amps. I think it sounds good, it's obviously no competition style sound system, but it's definitely better, definitely louder, and it's all I need.

The stock amp is located in the trunk behind the left side paneling. And upgrading the sound system wont void your warranty unless they can prove that it caused something else to go wrong. Although with the electrical nightmare that is the E60, that may not be too hard for them to do. No dealer has voided my warranty though, and I have taken it to 3 seperate dealers.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Members

It seems I read on another forum a detailed account of upgrading the base stereo. I have the same one and was thinking of doing this but after reading the post, I'm not sure I want to go to that trouble. It sounds as though the amp referred to in the previous post runs the subs under the seat and the remaining speakers are run off deck power, unline the Logic7 system that runs everything off a multi-channel amp in the back. It also sounds like the speakers in the door were tough to get to for some reason.

I can't recall all the detailes but I'll post the link if I find it.

Good luck.