E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 LCI Trim Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 12:28 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i E60 Alpine White
Default E60 LCI Trim Removal?

Hello,
I don't see many videos or DIYs for LCI trims. My belief is that LCI trims are significantly different from those pre-LCI for E60 (they even look different) and I've having a really hard time figuring out how to remove them.

Thank you
Old 12-16-2017, 06:50 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 535i
Model Year: 08

Subscribed....Looking to paint my trim. I'll post back if I figure it out.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:26 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

what trim are you talking about?
Old 12-18-2017, 10:18 AM
New Members

All the "wooden" trims including the dash, the doors, the shifter and the nav trims. I believe it's a total of 9 pieces. I was originally thinking about buying new trim pieces, or getting some M5 used ones or even wrapping them. Mostly to change up the look. The ebay ones all look "used."
Ideally i'd love to get my hands on some piano black individual trims.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:30 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020

do a search, the interior is easy to dissemble with the right tools, esp the nylon pry pars that do not hurt your dash. many with pictures. Search for CIC retrofit. that shows alot of places that show you how.

The doors are the toughest as you have to remove the door panels to get to the back pressure rings that hold the back pieces of the door trim. However you cannot remove the door panels fully from the car because of the airbags connected into the door panel itself. There is enough slack to put them down on a baby stroller or something like that (open door and just lay the panel on the stroller), so you have a surface to work on and there is no stress on the airbag cables. I wrapped mine, liked the look and then replaced them all with aluminum from an M5. looks awesome, i just with i could put lighting in them like the newer F10s....
Old 12-28-2017, 09:06 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by funglenn
do a search, the interior is easy to dissemble with the right tools, esp the nylon pry pars that do not hurt your dash. many with pictures. Search for CIC retrofit. that shows alot of places that show you how.

The doors are the toughest as you have to remove the door panels to get to the back pressure rings that hold the back pieces of the door trim. However you cannot remove the door panels fully from the car because of the airbags connected into the door panel itself. There is enough slack to put them down on a baby stroller or something like that (open door and just lay the panel on the stroller), so you have a surface to work on and there is no stress on the airbag cables. I wrapped mine, liked the look and then replaced them all with aluminum from an M5. looks awesome, i just with i could put lighting in them like the newer F10s....
Thank you. Was there any danger in the airbag deploying? I assume as long as I disconnect the negative of the power source I should be ok?
Old 12-29-2017, 12:05 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by edyu
Thank you. Was there any danger in the airbag deploying? I assume as long as I disconnect the negative of the power source I should be ok?
there is always some danger of a spark, that is why people say disconnect the battery, wait 15 min for any residual drain of energy before you work on the air bag system. too soon and you may trip the airbag light. I disconnected the battery, waiting and worked on the door panels without disconnecting the airbags, i did not want to deal with a broken clip or something like that, esp if i am putting no stress on the cables.

to pull the tension clips off that hold the door trim to the panel, use some sort of u shaped hook to pull up form underneath to bend them backwards. then when you pull enough off, you can just remove the washer and use pliers to flatten back out. It will make sense when you see it.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:52 PM
New Members

When I was searching for trims on ebay it seems that many of them have broken "clips" on the door trim pieces. Are those repairable? One seller said that if I want to install these door trims I will have to use glue which I don't want to because then I would have a hard time to remove them again. I couldn't find the part on the door panels on realoem.com so I'm assuming these are unrepairable once the clips were broken off. I haven't seen them in person so I'm not sure but if you did, please let me know whether these broken "tabs" or "clips" on the door panels are repairable or not.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2017, 10:34 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by edyu
When I was searching for trims on ebay it seems that many of them have broken "clips" on the door trim pieces. Are those repairable? One seller said that if I want to install these door trims I will have to use glue which I don't want to because then I would have a hard time to remove them again. I couldn't find the part on the door panels on realoem.com so I'm assuming these are unrepairable once the clips were broken off. I haven't seen them in person so I'm not sure but if you did, please let me know whether these broken "tabs" or "clips" on the door panels are repairable or not.

Thanks
they are unrepairable. I broke none if you use my way of pulling them out. move on to other ebay seller who did not hack their car pieces up....