E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 550i Dyno w/ AFE, w/ stock, w/ stock + RPi

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

I will be calling them Monday morning and ask them about their "WHP" gains.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

Originally Posted by r1racer' post='690279' date='Oct 10 2008, 08:48 PM
I will be calling them Monday morning and ask them about their "WHP" gains.
Thanks Joe....we all appreciate the effort.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Man, sorry to hear the disappointing outcome and for all the people who purchased this product.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by khooger' post='690282' date='Oct 10 2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks Joe....we all appreciate the effort.
No problem.

I feel horrible for selling a product that loses HP. I do apologize and I will not be selling AFE products anymore. I will be contacting the R&D President who made all the intakes and tell him what happen and what his plans are for the people with their products.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by bimmer530iguy' post='690199
Do I get a replacement too? I still owe you a cup of coffee Eloy.
I can always use coffee. I am still waiting for the 545 to come in to dyno so I will let you guys know whats going on.

Originally Posted by khooger' post='690263
That sucks. Looks like I will be selling mine and get a Dinan intake later on.
Do a search for Dinan intakes on the M5 forum......

Originally Posted by r1racer' post='690290' date='Oct 10 2008, 06:14 PM
No problem.

I feel horrible for selling a product that loses HP. I do apologize and I will not be selling AFE products anymore. I will be contacting the R&D President who made all the intakes and tell him what happen and what his plans are for the people with their products.
Joe, you are a good guy and most of the board members know you so Im sure they understand. Im just sorry that I didnt get to focus more on the rest of the E60 stuff so we could have helped people save money before. We were so busy with the m5 and m6 market. I promise we will be doing non-M stuff. And we will continue to put our products through harsh testing.

Anyways, I dynoed over and over again in Iceman's car and we are on the right track. There was some obstruction that cause a dip in the midrange and air turbulance robbed some power. I have a slightly different design that gave us a 7whp swing so stay tuned for more details.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

Originally Posted by r1racer' post='690290' date='Oct 10 2008, 09:14 PM
No problem.

Not your fault...don't feel bad. .....as we all thought it should be a positive mod. Maybe they have an explanation/ proof of likewise!
Old 10-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I am SERIOUSLY pissed. I started that aFe intake thread when I discovered they offered it for the 545i. Let me be clear: Joe @ Trinity Auto is upstanding and an awesome resource for us here. He IS NOT TO BLAME here. My angst is with aFe, simply because the dyno is obviously doctored, bogus, or created in such a manner that duplicating such 'gains' in real-world driving would be impossible. I love the sound of the aFe - the roar is great and lends itself to perceived performance improvement. I just put my stock + K&N on, and things seem noticeably better off line. Whereas I couldn't chirp my tires with the aFe - I was attributing it to a slow O2 sensor or catalyst restriction, I'm chirping now off the line now.

Joe, I thank you for taking on a leadership role with this. Many vendors would simply wash their hands of the situation. You, however, have risen to the occasion, taking it up directly with them on our behalf. That is MUCH appreciated.

~Al
Old 10-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='690303' date='Oct 10 2008, 06:29 PM
I am SERIOUSLY pissed. I started that aFe intake thread when I discovered they offered it for the 545i. Let me be clear: Joe @ Trinity Auto is upstanding and an awesome resource for us here. He IS NOT TO BLAME here. My angst is with aFe, simply because the dyno is obviously doctored, bogus, or created in such a manner that duplicating such 'gains' in real-world driving would be impossible. I love the sound of the aFe - the roar is great and lends itself to perceived performance improvement. I just put my stock + K&N on, and things seem noticeably better off line. Whereas I couldn't chirp my tires with the aFe - I was attributing it to a slow O2 sensor or catalyst restriction, I'm chirping now off the line now.

Joe, I thank you for taking on a leadership role with this. Many vendors would simply wash their hands of the situation. You, however, have risen to the occasion, taking it up directly with them on our behalf. That is MUCH appreciated.

~Al
Most companies dyno with the hood open, allow a cool down period, etc. I personally dont think its accurate for real world situations. That type of dynoing is just for a fancy number on the dyno.....which means nothing on the street or track. In the real world, things get hot and airflow fluctuates. The difference you feel off the line is that when you are coming off the line, the engine is already breathing in cooler air than with the aftermarket intake. Again, you guys are in good hands with Joe. He reminds me alot of myself when I started the business 10 years ago. I used to sell stuff but slowly weeded out the garbage. Now its rare that you see us push a product. I have to personally test it before I recommend to a customer.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I am so glad I didn't go with the AFE for my M. All I have to say is that I love my RPI Scoops and RPI Pulleys. Thanks Eloy and thanks Joe!
Old 10-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Myth: BUSTED, AFE :thumbsdown:

Thanx for sharing the info

Quick Reply: E60 550i Dyno w/ AFE, w/ stock, w/ stock + RPi