E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 550i Dyno w/ AFE, w/ stock, w/ stock + RPi

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just received my 550 scoop... at least rpi is honest about its claim and going the extra mile to relace it!
Old 10-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

AHH WHAT!!!! fuck man
Old 10-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 5series
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by southgate' post='690618' date='Oct 11 2008, 04:44 PM
AHH WHAT!!!! fuck man
Yea, this blows, ontop of that were going to have a hard time selling it, since nobody wants the afe CAI's. So its just going to sit in my garage.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='690491' date='Oct 11 2008, 07:57 AM
Now you KNOW you're wrong for that!!! LOL! My question is what is causing the HP loss? The high MAF sensor temps at idle/low speeds are obvious. But it looks to have lost power accross the band. At speed, cool air should be rushing in, bringing air charge temperatures near parity with the stock unit. Yet, the graph doesn't seem to reflect this. The loss is dramatic. While I'm not privy to the type and size of the dyno fan used to simulate at-speed conditions, it's pretty hard to dispute the numbers. +-4 degree variation in ambiant for the test runs. I'd love to see the IAT temps on a live run at speed. I'm curious to know if the loss is due to high temps (which will require a redesign of the 'heat shield' provided with some of the CAI units), or is the loss due to faulty filter design. One question - was the 550 equipped with the aFe oiled/cotton or paper filter cone? (not that it would make much difference if temperature is the culprit accross the band)

We went through all this with Fujita on another forums. Ok, lets look at the intake ok? Heat shields......ok. Behind the grill there is an opening but its not direct, then it channels to the engine bay where the stock box was right? Where is the cold air coming from? Even when you are driving, what is going to make the on coming air turn 90 degrees and into the air duct to feed cold air where the afe intake is? The stock airbox is plastic which wont retain heat like the steel ones. The stock box is sealed so when the engine enhales, only cold air is sucked in. Without a 100% sealed enclosure you wont be able to suck cold air in from the factory ducts efficiently. Most of our customers track their cars and we know of many other shops that build race/track cars. Ask any of the companies like us or BMS and we will tell you the same thing over and over again.
Assuming 12k cfm is not enough air. That makes it even better since we are seeing gains with our products.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i

Old 10-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Hi Guys,

I just stopped by AFE and they were pretty pissed I took all their products off my website. AFE will be posting their facts up very soon. I talked to Nick...I belive he was one of the head guys over there and he mentioned that the best way to tell is to go head to head with stock car w/ scoops and their AFE. I'm in need of a STOCK (no exhaust or ECU reflash) car and another car that only has the AFE intake. Of course we'll be doing this in "mexico".

AFE guaranteed the intake does in fact make power and that they would never sell a product that doesn't make power. They also said that the ECU didn't adust to the stock air box on the 550i and that is why the numbers were not correct. Either way I want to see if AFE works or just the scoop/stock filter is better. Please PM me for more information. I am looking for a 525i/530i/545i/550i. Here is another link to the M5 board regarding the intake vs RPI.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e6...rpi-vs-afe.html

Also...RPI vs Dinan...the RPI ///M5 only had a pulley, section 3, BMC filter w/ scoops. The Dinan had about 26k workth of prodcut on there and here is what happened:

Old 10-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by r1racer' post='692101' date='Oct 13 2008, 02:30 PM
Hi Guys,

I just stopped by AFE and they were pretty pissed I took all their products off my website. AFE will be posting their facts up very soon. I talked to Nick...I belive he was one of the head guys over there and he mentioned that the best way to tell is to go head to head with stock car w/ scoops and their AFE. I'm in need of a STOCK (no exhaust or ECU reflash) car and another car that only has the AFE intake. Of course we'll be doing this in "mexico".

AFE guaranteed the intake does in fact make power and that they would never sell a product that doesn't make power. They also said that the ECU didn't adust to the stock air box on the 550i and that is why the numbers were not correct. Either way I want to see if AFE works or just the scoop/stock filter is better. Please PM me for more information. I am looking for a 525i/530i/545i/550i. Here is another link to the M5 board regarding the intake vs RPI.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e6...rpi-vs-afe.html
Thats pretty damn awesome.
Just got a chance to dyno Tightie's new M3 with our V2 ram air. The ecu adjusted after the second pull.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by RPIpower' post='692106' date='Oct 13 2008, 02:33 PM
Just got a chance to dyno Tightie's new M3 with our V2 ram air. The ecu adjusted after the second pull.
dizzam!!
Old 10-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Contributors

MY CAI SOUNDS GREAT but my power loss is really sucken... when i get to around 5,000 rpms it just stays.. it takes forever for it to build.. im going to put my stock one back.... afe sucks :thumbsdown:
Old 10-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

The 357 peak hp is a Dyno Jet number. The owner of the e92 M3 requested the Dyno Dynamics # to be converted to Dyno Jet # before posting it. He was afraid he would be laughed at for showing such a low dyno number (305rwhp Dyno Dynamics).

Originally Posted by RPIpower' post='692106' date='Oct 13 2008, 02:33 PM

Quick Reply: E60 550i Dyno w/ AFE, w/ stock, w/ stock + RPi