E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 550i Dyno w/ AFE, w/ stock, w/ stock + RPi

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='699460' date='Oct 21 2008, 06:27 PM
Thank you for your justification for purchasing the AFE CAI.

I saved you butt lol...

anyways... read this: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/...sults-4001.html
Old 10-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Contributors

They are selling this product and it details: it runs better in cold days than hot days.

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/wholesale...co-9468355.html

"A high-quality cold air intake is the system used to bring down the temperature of the air running through the vehicle that is intended for increasing the internal-combustion engine power. Furthermore, the intake enhances the appeal of your Ford Bronco by changing the appearance of the engine bay while creating an attractive intake noise. The engine in your Ford Bronco 1990 -1993 runs better on a coolday than on a hot day . This is due to the cooler, denser air that is holding the additional oxygen mixed with your fuel to produce power. A good quality K&N cold air intake filter is well- engineered to function well. In a typical Bronco engine, the air box and intake plumbing is configured to drawhot engine bay air through your cylinders, which apparently does not hold much oxygen. The cold air intake system replaces your stock factory plumbing to allow your engine to draw in cooler outside air. This system also contains a high flow FordCold Air Intake Filter that increases the amount of air that’s fed to the cylinders. This filter favorably provide bigger power boost. A cold air intake, in conjunction with a quality cold air intake filter, will definitely give better horsepower and torque gains of up to 15 percent. This means that you can save yourself from a lot of expenses since the filter is washable and reusable. For your intelligent replacement operations, always rely on an established online store like ours. Keep on browsing through our parts catalog for your K&N K33RF1012 in stock. We have great offers to put forward so take a deal with us today! "

I think AFE should mention like this on all their products.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

O my ..
Old 10-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Every car performs better in cold conditions. Every car performs worse in warmer conditions. It's simple physics. But that's not what the AFE is doing. The AFE is taking in the most immediate air from it's closest source. And what source is that? That's right kids, it's your engine. Now I'm not saying that 100% of the air is coming from the engine bay. No, a good amount is coming from outside as well. However, having an open source cone filter is not helping the situation. Having a stock air box may seem a bit restrictive, but if it's keeping hot air out and has an opportunity to have cold air (outside air) forced in, such as the RPI Scoops, then all the better.

So whether Santa is coming or not, doesn't really matter.

And lastly, I was one of the first to install the AFE on my 530. I raved about it too and convinced many other members on here to get it. Aside from the sound, that's about all it did. Fortunately, I also had an Exhaust, Remap and a Sprint Booster on that car, so the overall performance of the car was much better than stock. However, all the AFE did was make the car sound more aggressive. But hey, if you like how it sounds and don't care as much about the performance, then that's fine.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='699478' date='Oct 21 2008, 06:39 PM
O my ..

buahahaha... like I said I love this forum!!! Please continue eating
Old 10-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

They forgot to mention that EVERY car on the road performs better on a colder day too. You should tell them that as well.

Originally Posted by miguex' post='699474' date='Oct 21 2008, 08:39 PM
They are selling this product and it details: it runs better in cold days than hot days.

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/wholesale...co-9468355.html

"A high-quality cold air intake is the system used to bring down the temperature of the air running through the vehicle that is intended for increasing the internal-combustion engine power. Furthermore, the intake enhances the appeal of your Ford Bronco by changing the appearance of the engine bay while creating an attractive intake noise. The engine in your Ford Bronco 1990 -1993 runs better on a coolday than on a hot day . This is due to the cooler, denser air that is holding the additional oxygen mixed with your fuel to produce power. A good quality K&N cold air intake filter is well- engineered to function well. In a typical Bronco engine, the air box and intake plumbing is configured to drawhot engine bay air through your cylinders, which apparently does not hold much oxygen. The cold air intake system replaces your stock factory plumbing to allow your engine to draw in cooler outside air. This system also contains a high flow FordCold Air Intake Filter that increases the amount of air that?s fed to the cylinders. This filter favorably provide bigger power boost. A cold air intake, in conjunction with a quality cold air intake filter, will definitely give better horsepower and torque gains of up to 15 percent. This means that you can save yourself from a lot of expenses since the filter is washable and reusable. For your intelligent replacement operations, always rely on an established online store like ours. Keep on browsing through our parts catalog for your K&N K33RF1012 in stock. We have great offers to put forward so take a deal with us today! "

I think AFE should mention like this on all their products.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='699484' date='Oct 21 2008, 06:44 PM
Every car performs better in cold conditions. Every car performs worse in warmer conditions. It's simple physics. But that's not what the AFE is doing. The AFE is taking in the most immediate air from it's closest source. And what source is that? That's right kids, it's your engine. And as we all know, hot air doesn't make your car perform at its best. So whether Santa is coming or not, doesn't really matter.

And lastly, I was one of the first to install the AFE on my 530. I raved about it too and convinced many other members on here to get it. Aside from the sound, that's about all it did. Fortunately, I also had an Exhaust, Remap and a Sprint Booster on that car, so the overall performance of the car was much better than stock. However, all the AFE did was make the car sound more aggressive. But hey, if you like how it sounds and don't care as much about the performance, then that's fine.

yes, but the only difference is AIRFLOW. more airflow better. that is why I made a dual intake (DINAN alike but with AFE).... the car is double aggressive.

Edited: Video of difference between single intake vs Double intakes (with AFE) http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=08OU_9N4U8c
Old 10-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by miguex' post='699489' date='Oct 21 2008, 08:48 PM
yes, but the only difference is AIRFLOW. more airflow better. that is why I made a dual intake (DINAN alike but with AFE).... the car is double aggressive.
MORE cold air, airflow is better my man. When you mix cold air with VERY HOT air coming off the engine, chances are, that cold air isn't so cold anymore.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

BIG difference between Dinan and AFE. Dinan is enclosed.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Contributors

Now I'm not saying that 100% of the air is coming from the engine bay. No, a good amount is coming from outside as well. And yes, this would be AIRFLOW. However, having an open source cone filter is not helping the situation. Having a stock air box may seem a bit restrictive, but if it's keeping hot air out and prevents it from mixing with the cold air, then that's key. That being said, the opportunity to have cold air (outside air) forced in without coming into too much contact with a direct heat source, such as the engine, is ideal. For that, we bring in the RPI Scoops.

Quick Reply: E60 550i Dyno w/ AFE, w/ stock, w/ stock + RPi