E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

E60 550i Dyno w/ AFE, w/ stock, w/ stock + RPi

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by RPIpower' post='694046' date='Oct 15 2008, 01:31 PM
Being able to hear the engine "roar" from the addition of an induction filter can easily make you "think" or "feel" the car is faster. You ever hear those riced out cars rev or take off? They sound hideous and the care are almost always really slow. If feels fast to the drivers because of the sound. Put some ear plugs on and do some pulls. It might give you a different perspective.

lol, well my car is loud, but still feels really slow..damn..
Old 10-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by ImSort0fABigDeal' post='694063' date='Oct 15 2008, 01:49 PM
lol, well my car is loud, but still feels really slow..damn..
On the off note, that "not the father" clip is one of my all time favorites. I've seen it a thousand times and crack up each time.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by miguex' post='693870' date='Oct 15 2008, 02:00 PM
Well, now forget the dyno.. I want results from a real run or race. (at least 3-5 attempts).

Stock with KN filter vs AFE

Scoops/Stock vs AFE

Scoops/Stock vs Scoops/AFE

This would be a true test of the products.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Originally Posted by miguex' post='693926' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:53 AM

NOT everyone... heres a pull from that thread...

Guys, hate to be the perpetual skeptic (well...not really) but I have to ask this. Could the feeling of the change from a filter really be noticeable in a 400 hp car that weighs 3700 lb? Could this be the case of more noise and wanting to notice a change?

For the sake of argument, let's say you get 7hp from the filter. At ~9 lb/hp this translates to about 60 lb. Can you feel a 60 lb kid in your car, or equivalently about 10 gallons of fuel?

I am all for dyno testing but filter folks don't seem so keen on it.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

sigh.... Ok, I plan to put the Stock back and manage to recreate a second air intake for the box that I made specially for AFE. So funny thing that you said the AFE is "psychological gains" well, it might be and also said the higher sound = loss.... Well, I can't hear anything (I am 100% deaf) with AFE or Stock or anything about sounds but I can feel when I drive my car and I can feel the performance.

by the way I am not defending my purchase or AFE. It is about what I feel driving the car. Maybe AFe needs to improve it (I put insulators and made second air intake to allow more air flow into the AFE intake All by myself. as seen my youtube:
(AFE single intake vs AFE dual intake)
Old 10-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by miguex' post='694079' date='Oct 15 2008, 02:06 PM
sigh.... Ok, I plan to put the Stock back and manage to recreate a second air intake for the box that I made specially for AFE. So funny thing that you said the AFE is "psychological gains" well, it might be and also said the higher sound = loss.... Well, I can't hear anything (I am 100% deaf) with AFE or Stock or anything about sounds but I can feel when I drive my car and I can feel the performance.

by the way I am not defending my purchase or AFE. It is about what I feel driving the car. Maybe AFe needs to improve it (I put insulators and made second air intake to allow more air flow into the AFE intake All by myself. as seen my youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08OU_9N4U8c (AFE single intake vs AFE dual intake)
Please dont take my word for it. Just go to your local book store and look/read the engine tuning books. There is a lot of great information. Also, do you track your car? Being able to do a few pulls is nothing compared to real performance driving in the canyons or at the track. A few months ago, we had a track even with our Gm customers. We went through the SAME exact thing with Fujita intakes and BSR. Well, we have (on video) our customers running their cars strong with 140 track temps, while everyone else was dropping out due to overheating.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by RPIpower' post='694093' date='Oct 15 2008, 03:18 PM
Please dont take my word for it. Just go to your local book store and look/read the engine tuning books. There is a lot of great information. Also, do you track your car? Being able to do a few pulls is nothing compared to real performance driving in the canyons or at the track. A few months ago, we had a track even with our Gm customers. We went through the SAME exact thing with Fujita intakes and BSR. Well, we have (on video) our customers running their cars strong with 140 track temps, while everyone else was dropping out due to overheating.
Interesting! I will. Sure I believe you because you do a lot of R&D and are a pro while I am just an amateur and the engine tuning is just one of my hobbies.
I don't race and I never went a race-track in my life but I like to do also I love the feel of performance that is all.
thanks RPIpower.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Contributors

If I spent $300 on an intake I would go against all odds and make myself believe/think i got some hp gains, who wouldnt, with any mods they do. Heck I think I gained so much hp from my exhaust, did I? Probably not... Point is, if your gaining 5-6hp from the intake you will not notice it on a car that makes good amount power already, and a car that weighs so much... Placebo effect, and some denial. As for the "ram air" scoops, imo gimmick. Sure it may allow more air to go into the air intake(box), and gain you 1hp? Its not a forced induction that air is going to make a substantial difference...
Old 10-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tbal' post='694117' date='Oct 15 2008, 02:46 PM
As for the "ram air" scoops, imo gimmick.
Do you want to go heads up? Its been tested in Germany, Sweden, Egypt, Saudi, Dubai and several race teams in the US use our ram air systems. All have confirmed faster track times.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Contributors

Thats my opinon... What does faster track times mean? 0.001 sec faster? If they made such a significant difference, im sure the dyno would've showed a 10hp gain.

Quick Reply: E60 550i Dyno w/ AFE, w/ stock, w/ stock + RPi