E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Do tires really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Next Gen LEDS

Originally Posted by Howitzer
Your car is only as good as the rubber it rides on.

Sidewall strength is very important on turns. You don't want a lot of flexing or bending. The stiffer the sidewall the better the cornering. Carbon fiber inner lining, etc. So many factors to a good tire.

You want a good, sticky tire depending on the season.

For the money and practical use, I would recommend Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (All Season). They are awesome. Expensive, but awesome. My rears were $350 each, fronts $275 each. But I'm riding on 275/30/19" rear and 245/35/19" front which is a sport, performance tire and a lot more money than your standard 225/50/17" tire for OEM non-sport 5 series.
+1 on the Michelin Pilot A/S. but you get what you pay for in terms of quality
Old 02-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

theyre the only thing between a 4k pound car and the road, at 100mph theyre importance amplifies tremendously
Old 02-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by C5driver
Usually, there's no such thing as a stupid question. Luckily, yours falls into this category.

Yes, for a number of reasons, some of which have already been touched on. Tires will affect your vehicle's ride quality, performance in rain, performance in the snow, and performance in perfectly dry weather. Take your pick. Some will do all of the above, but none will do all of the above well.

There are a lot of opinions on this subject and it's almost like asking people what's the best color. I'd recommend looking through old posts. As for my opinion, I prefer the Goodyear F1 Supercar Asymmetric. Amazing performance in the dry and wet.

tirerack.com

You're welcome!

BTW, Very nice Avatar pic.

Maybe there is a better question for tires. How much do people miss their PS2's or non-RFT Potenzas now that they run General Acclaims/Kuhmos/Sumitomo or/ some other cheap tire??? These guys and gals would feel the effects of less traction and grip, and if they miss it. Some might say no big deal.

If you ask folks already running $1,400 in good rubber, the response will always be get the better tire.

My naive view is the car's chassis matters most. A front wheel drive car with PS2s aint gonna keep up with a 5er sport on Kuhmos.

Right now, I'm thinking of Goodyear Assyemtrics. Any thoughts??
Old 02-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan
+1 mil

If you ask folks already running $1,400 in good rubber, the response will always be get the better tire.
not to change the subject but my buddy just paid $2800 for some 40" tires for his truck, by comparison. $1400 is cheap
Old 02-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Maybe there is a better question for tires. How much do people miss their PS2's or non-RFT Potenzas now that they run General Acclaims/Kuhmos/Sumitomo or/ some other cheap tire??? These guys and gals would feel the effects of less traction and grip, and if they miss it. Some might say no big deal.

My naive view is the car's chassis matters most. A front wheel drive car with PS2s aint gonna keep up with a 5er sport on Kuhmos.

I've always liked Toyo T1-R tires (I live in Southern California so we run summer performance tires year-round). I switched it up to General Exclaim UHPs and Falken FK-452 (and I've also used various other Falkens) and to be honest, for every day street use, I can really tell no difference. The ride might not be quite as good, but unless you REALLY try to feel it, you can't really tell. I wouldn't spend over $1k on tires unless I was doing a track day. Heck I found General's in 265/30/20 for only $170 per tire, can't beat that.

Oh and I used the Generals and Falkens on my E46 M3 and Honda S2000 which both eat through tires like no tomorrow. Hence spending over $1k on tires every 8-10 months is not worth it to me.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

My suggest for a good cost effective tyre would be Hankook Ventus V12 K110 .
Old 02-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Contributors

Thanks. I'm all about making you guys happy.

Maybe there is a better question for tires. How much do people miss their PS2's or non-RFT Potenzas now that they run General Acclaims/Kuhmos/Sumitomo or/ some other cheap tire??? These guys and gals would feel the effects of less traction and grip, and if they miss it.
Tag for responses

Chassis dynamics certainly play into the handling equation, but I can't see how it would matter the most. It's tempting to isolate a question down to one component, but vehicles, like life, are great examples of the whole being the sum of its parts.

Love 'em!
Old 02-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

My E60 came with the Dunlap runflats from the factory. They were very stiff and harsh feeling.
when those wore out, I got Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 summer tires. (I live in Florida)
I cannot put into words the difference I felt in the tires immediately. My car felt like a completely new car. The ride was so much smoother.
Bumps are absorbed better. There is much less road noise.

I cannot speak for other brands. I am now on my second set of Michelin PS2, and I cannot imagine buying anything else in the future.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Members

My Ride: e60
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by LevKis
Thats the most complete answer Ive ever seen
not only is C5's answer the most complete, but his avatar is unbeatable. good god, who is that C5?!
Old 02-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dowe
good god, who is that C5?!
It's so old I can't remember where it's from. Maybe one of the girls I shot on MM? Not sure really...

Hate to get OT, but this is just about the most perfect ass I've ever seen also. It's not freakishly huge or freakishly round, or freakish in any cartoon-like way. It's just the angle and the lighting and the pose that make it all come together. Kinda like tires

This was a crop, BTW. I have the full body shot and it's

Quick Reply: Do tires really matter?