E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Do tires really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that I am being very stupid asking such a question, but I really know nothing about tires

Do they have any effect on performance?

If so, what is the best kind or type of tires for top performance on a BMW E60?

Average price for them in US??

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Contributors

Your car is only as good as the rubber it rides on.

Sidewall strength is very important on turns. You don't want a lot of flexing or bending. The stiffer the sidewall the better the cornering. Carbon fiber inner lining, etc. So many factors to a good tire.

You want a good, sticky tire depending on the season.

For the money and practical use, I would recommend Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (All Season). They are awesome. Expensive, but awesome. My rears were $350 each, fronts $275 each. But I'm riding on 275/30/19" rear and 245/35/19" front which is a sport, performance tire and a lot more money than your standard 225/50/17" tire for OEM non-sport 5 series.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

+1 i got Michelin PS A/S, and love them. So much better then Pirrelli's or RFT's i had before
Old 02-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

The tires are THE only thing that keep you on the road. So yes.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer
Your car is only as good as the rubber it rides on.

Sidewall strength is very important on turns. You don't want a lot of flexing or bending. The stiffer the sidewall the better the cornering. Carbon fiber inner lining, etc. So many factors to a good tire.

You want a good, sticky tire depending on the season.

For the money and practical use, I would recommend Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (All Season). They are awesome. Expensive, but awesome. My rears were $350 each, fronts $275 each. But I'm riding on 275/30/19" rear and 245/35/19" front which is a sport, performance tire and a lot more money than your standard 225/50/17" tire for OEM non-sport 5 series.

Thank a lot!

I will go with these ones then. I am getting my new 19" rims soon and I will probably fit tires same as yours - 245/35 front 275/30 rear cuz they are almost identical in profile.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by LevKis
I know that I am being very stupid asking such a question, but I really know nothing about tires
Usually, there's no such thing as a stupid question. Luckily, yours falls into this category.

Do they have any effect on performance?
Yes, for a number of reasons, some of which have already been touched on. Tires will affect your vehicle's ride quality, performance in rain, performance in the snow, and performance in perfectly dry weather. Take your pick. Some will do all of the above, but none will do all of the above well.

If so, what is the best kind or type of tires for top performance on a BMW E60?
There are a lot of opinions on this subject and it's almost like asking people what's the best color. I'd recommend looking through old posts. As for my opinion, I prefer the Goodyear F1 Supercar Asymmetric. Amazing performance in the dry and wet.

Average price for them in US??
tirerack.com

Thanks!
You're welcome!
Old 02-05-2010, 03:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by C5driver
Usually, there's no such thing as a stupid question. Luckily, yours falls into this category.

Yes, for a number of reasons, some of which have already been touched on. Tires will affect your vehicle's ride quality, performance in rain, performance in the snow, and performance in perfectly dry weather. Take your pick. Some will do all of the above, but none will do all of the above well.

There are a lot of opinions on this subject and it's almost like asking people what's the best color. I'd recommend looking through old posts. As for my opinion, I prefer the Goodyear F1 Supercar Asymmetric. Amazing performance in the dry and wet.

tirerack.com

You're welcome!

Thats the most complete answer Ive ever seen
Old 02-05-2010, 03:32 AM
Members

Guys,

I just realised that Michelin Pilot Sport tires I probably for good roads with clean surface?

What about tires for shitty roads with humps and holes?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Guys,

I just realised that Michelin Pilot Sport tires I probably for good roads with clean surface?

What about tires for shitty roads with humps and holes?
+1 on the Michelin Pilot A/S. They have most of the performance wet or dry with the added benefit of usable inclement weather traction. I also liked the Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics but they didn't last long.

The wheel size, aspect ratio, and whether run-flat or not effect the ride quality more than the brand. It's true that you won't get the full benefit of max performance tires driving on pot-holed city streets but another consideration is braking. The top tires will give much shorter stopping distances, adding to the safety of city driving.

I'd also bet that a top tier tire will be less susceptible to blow outs and issues given rough conditions.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Richard in NC
+1 on the Michelin Pilot A/S. They have most of the performance wet or dry with the added benefit of usable inclement weather traction. I also liked the Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics but they didn't last long.

The wheel size, aspect ratio, and whether run-flat or not effect the ride quality more than the brand. It's true that you won't get the full benefit of max performance tires driving on pot-holed city streets but another consideration is braking. The top tires will give much shorter stopping distances, adding to the safety of city driving.

I'd also bet that a top tier tire will be less susceptible to blow outs and issues given rough conditions.
Cheers mate

Quick Reply: Do tires really matter?