5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/)
-   -   Do tires really matter? (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/do-tires-really-matter-93442/)

LevKis 02-04-2010 01:21 PM

I know that I am being very stupid asking such a question, but I really know nothing about tires :blink:

Do they have any effect on performance?

If so, what is the best kind or type of tires for top performance on a BMW E60?

Average price for them in US??

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Howitzer 02-04-2010 01:24 PM

Your car is only as good as the rubber it rides on.

Sidewall strength is very important on turns. You don't want a lot of flexing or bending. The stiffer the sidewall the better the cornering. Carbon fiber inner lining, etc. So many factors to a good tire.

You want a good, sticky tire depending on the season.

For the money and practical use, I would recommend Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (All Season). They are awesome. Expensive, but awesome. My rears were $350 each, fronts $275 each. But I'm riding on 275/30/19" rear and 245/35/19" front which is a sport, performance tire and a lot more money than your standard 225/50/17" tire for OEM non-sport 5 series.

vlad_b 02-04-2010 01:32 PM

+1 i got Michelin PS A/S, and love them. So much better then Pirrelli's or RFT's i had before

Krozi 02-04-2010 01:34 PM

The tires are THE only thing that keep you on the road. So yes. :lol:

LevKis 02-04-2010 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Howitzer (Post 1104580)
Your car is only as good as the rubber it rides on.

Sidewall strength is very important on turns. You don't want a lot of flexing or bending. The stiffer the sidewall the better the cornering. Carbon fiber inner lining, etc. So many factors to a good tire.

You want a good, sticky tire depending on the season.

For the money and practical use, I would recommend Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (All Season). They are awesome. Expensive, but awesome. My rears were $350 each, fronts $275 each. But I'm riding on 275/30/19" rear and 245/35/19" front which is a sport, performance tire and a lot more money than your standard 225/50/17" tire for OEM non-sport 5 series.

Thank a lot!

I will go with these ones then. I am getting my new 19" rims soon and I will probably fit tires same as yours - 245/35 front 275/30 rear cuz they are almost identical in profile.

C5driver 02-04-2010 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by LevKis (Post 1104577)
I know that I am being very stupid asking such a question, but I really know nothing about tires :blink:

Usually, there's no such thing as a stupid question. Luckily, yours falls into this category.

Do they have any effect on performance?

Yes, for a number of reasons, some of which have already been touched on. Tires will affect your vehicle's ride quality, performance in rain, performance in the snow, and performance in perfectly dry weather. Take your pick. Some will do all of the above, but none will do all of the above well.

If so, what is the best kind or type of tires for top performance on a BMW E60?

There are a lot of opinions on this subject and it's almost like asking people what's the best color. I'd recommend looking through old posts. As for my opinion, I prefer the Goodyear F1 Supercar Asymmetric. Amazing performance in the dry and wet.

Average price for them in US??

tirerack.com

Thanks!

You're welcome!

LevKis 02-05-2010 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by C5driver (Post 1104613)
Usually, there's no such thing as a stupid question. Luckily, yours falls into this category.

Yes, for a number of reasons, some of which have already been touched on. Tires will affect your vehicle's ride quality, performance in rain, performance in the snow, and performance in perfectly dry weather. Take your pick. Some will do all of the above, but none will do all of the above well.

There are a lot of opinions on this subject and it's almost like asking people what's the best color. I'd recommend looking through old posts. As for my opinion, I prefer the Goodyear F1 Supercar Asymmetric. Amazing performance in the dry and wet.

tirerack.com

You're welcome!

Thats the most complete answer Ive ever seen :thumbsup:

LevKis 02-05-2010 03:32 AM

Guys,

I just realised that Michelin Pilot Sport tires I probably for good roads with clean surface?

What about tires for shitty roads with humps and holes? :)

Richard in NC 02-05-2010 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by LevKis (Post 1104972)
Guys,

I just realised that Michelin Pilot Sport tires I probably for good roads with clean surface?

What about tires for shitty roads with humps and holes? :)

+1 on the Michelin Pilot A/S. They have most of the performance wet or dry with the added benefit of usable inclement weather traction. I also liked the Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics but they didn't last long.

The wheel size, aspect ratio, and whether run-flat or not effect the ride quality more than the brand. It's true that you won't get the full benefit of max performance tires driving on pot-holed city streets but another consideration is braking. The top tires will give much shorter stopping distances, adding to the safety of city driving.

I'd also bet that a top tier tire will be less susceptible to blow outs and issues given rough conditions.

LevKis 02-05-2010 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Richard in NC (Post 1104978)
+1 on the Michelin Pilot A/S. They have most of the performance wet or dry with the added benefit of usable inclement weather traction. I also liked the Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics but they didn't last long.

The wheel size, aspect ratio, and whether run-flat or not effect the ride quality more than the brand. It's true that you won't get the full benefit of max performance tires driving on pot-holed city streets but another consideration is braking. The top tires will give much shorter stopping distances, adding to the safety of city driving.

I'd also bet that a top tier tire will be less susceptible to blow outs and issues given rough conditions.

Cheers mate :thumbsup: