E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

DIY MTech Body kit installed today

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:12 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530d

Originally Posted by turboawd' post='1044990' date='Nov 2 2009, 04:52 PM
ahh, just noticed you have a diesel. i guess those flaps close so that your car warms up better when its cold out.
Yes I'm a diesel convert, and it can get cold down here. That's also the reason I have the gross looking turned down exhaust...
But the performance/economy compromise makes it so worthwhile - I've done 1100km (683miles) on a tank of diesel...
Old 11-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Members

My Ride: AmethystGrau '03 530i

Ouch, they should never have released E60 with 17 inch wheels. Mine came from factory with 18 inch, so at least it doesn't look ordinary for something that expensive!

I always try to do the Rimutakas in a reasonably fast pace, and so far only motorbike riders that managed to keep up with me. Good thing is, apart from one long straight, you'll never be able to go faster than the speed limit! We regularly travel over the hill for Saturday brunch at Greytown, and Wellington's BMWCC holds its annual gymkhana at a farm just outside Masterton.

Freight is so expensive, but with the $ getting better, it doesn't hurt that much anymore. I just bought leather treatment from this place, only costs me NZ$42 for 250ml one bottle each of cleaner and conditioner. That's landed in NZ, and its a much better product than Mothers or Meguiars.

Email me before you've arrived in Wellington, we can catch up over coffee if you have spare time between arriving and getting on the ferry. I'm going to be around for Christmas, had spent all of my holiday allowance for this year!
Attached Thumbnails DIY MTech Body kit installed today-imgp2154.jpg  
Old 11-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd' post='1044990' date='Nov 2 2009, 04:52 PM
ahh, just noticed you have a diesel. i guess those flaps close so that your car warms up better when its cold out.
It's called Air Vent Control, and currently being promoted as part of the 'BMW Efficient Dynamic' program. My 530 petrol also has this, and it's to regulate air flow into the engine bay. It'll only open when the engine needs it.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by 530_nz' post='1045553' date='Nov 2 2009, 04:16 PM
It's called Air Vent Control, and currently being promoted as part of the 'BMW Efficient Dynamic' program. My 530 petrol also has this, and it's to regulate air flow into the engine bay. It'll only open when the engine needs it.
yeah, since diesels run more efficient, they dont heat up as much, so thats why the radiator gets blocked out by the flaps.....to help the engine get warmer.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Contributors

"Interesting" day today. I went to the manufacturer of the tow bar bracket to get it modified to fit the cover. After about 10 minutes looking at it they decided that it was going to be quite major, and would need retesting - Cost $NZ800 or $US572.

After work I fiddled and thought about modifying it myself - I only tow a trailer with two bikes on it so nothing heavy. I tried working the cover into place and it actually fit - tricky to get on but "problem" solved. It looks so much tidier!!

Now to do something about the exhaust tips!!
Attached Thumbnails DIY MTech Body kit installed today-pb010083.jpg   DIY MTech Body kit installed today-pb030083.jpg  
Old 11-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Good GAWD Man, cover those pathetic, puny, little exhaust tips!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 530_nz' post='1045547' date='Nov 3 2009, 11:10 AM
Ouch, they should never have released E60 with 17 inch wheels. Mine came from factory with 18 inch, so at least it doesn't look ordinary for something that expensive!

I always try to do the Rimutakas in a reasonably fast pace, and so far only motorbike riders that managed to keep up with me. Good thing is, apart from one long straight, you'll never be able to go faster than the speed limit! We regularly travel over the hill for Saturday brunch at Greytown, and Wellington's BMWCC holds its annual gymkhana at a farm just outside Masterton.

Freight is so expensive, but with the $ getting better, it doesn't hurt that much anymore. I just bought leather treatment from this place, only costs me NZ$42 for 250ml one bottle each of cleaner and conditioner. That's landed in NZ, and its a much better product than Mothers or Meguiars.

Email me before you've arrived in Wellington, we can catch up over coffee if you have spare time between arriving and getting on the ferry. I'm going to be around for Christmas, had spent all of my holiday allowance for this year!
To think I left the car like that for 5.5years!!

It is much more fun on the bike!! when you inevitably catch up with traffic, you can almost always zip past almost instantly. Last time I did that road was in the Porsche on a busy day - no fun. We should arrange to meet at the summit cafe. I've never actually stopped there - or maybe Greytown, not that I know exactly where that is without looking it up. Will email closer to the time.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i, comfort package, space grey

The outcome kit made a big difference in the overall look. I recently purchased an 08' 528i... I wonder how similar it is to your upgrade. This looks makes me want to change my look. Great post.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Leong' post='1045917' date='Nov 3 2009, 09:26 PM
To think I left the car like that for 5.5years!!

It is much more fun on the bike!! when you inevitably catch up with traffic, you can almost always zip past almost instantly. Last time I did that road was in the Porsche on a busy day - no fun. We should arrange to meet at the summit cafe. I've never actually stopped there - or maybe Greytown, not that I know exactly where that is without looking it up. Will email closer to the time.
I'm not sure whether the summit cafe has opened again. I almost never stopped there, because I loath seeing all the cars I pass on the up getting in front me again!

Let's organise something closer to the time, you've got my email (in earlier post).

BTW: you're selling your wheels in TM? Are they the same style as the ones you have on at the moment? Also I've been told that going to non run-flat will create problem for TPMS. Is this true?
Old 11-04-2009, 12:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PowerOv5' post='1046328
BTW: you're selling your wheels in TM? Are they the same style as the ones you have on at the moment? Also I've been told that going to non run-flat will create problem for TPMS. Is this true?
The wheels I have on TradeMe are the replicas I had. Also have a pair of 245/35X19 Fulda Exelero tyres for sale https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=87681
My car has RPA rather than TPMS, so don't know about that...

Quick Reply: DIY MTech Body kit installed today