E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

DIY MTech Body kit installed today

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:14 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Good job -- looks great!

Nice touch with the black diffuser
Old 10-31-2009, 09:38 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530d

Originally Posted by turboawd' post='1044180' date='Nov 1 2009, 04:51 AM
did you replace the plastic air duct for the radiator? yours looks somewhat restrictive.
I had to remove the "blinds" to fit the new air guides so definitely thought about leaving it out. But they're controlled electronically so I reinstalled it fearing error messages.

And of course the park sensors fitted perfectly. I'm also impressed with how easily all the plugs were to connect/disconnect.

And to anyone else who may want to do it yourself, it's much easier than you think when you have the new part there to look at - you can see how the old part is held in which makes it's removal easier.

Nice fine day today - might have to go out and take some pics.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Dinan 545i

Great job! Hats off to DIY-ers on this forum - I'm a lazy a$$ and wouldn't even attempt this...
Old 10-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

Great job! The Mtech made it a major makeover. Congrats!!
Old 10-31-2009, 11:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Lambda28' post='1044199
Good job -- looks great!

Nice touch with the black diffuser
Difficult decision that, I like the black diffuser, but am keen to keep all my chrome bits too. In fact you may notice the new chrome grille..... No shadowline trim for me.

Originally Posted by olskooldj' post='1044264
Great job! The Mtech made it a major makeover. Congrats!!
I should post a pic of the car taken two months ago, before I got the wheels, did the suspension including lowering and now the bodykit. All I need now is something I can see while driving... ie inside the car. An M Sports steering wheel is next - Should enhance the feel of the car, look good and you use/appreciate it every time you drive. I think I've spent enough for now though...
Old 10-31-2009, 11:46 AM
Members

My Ride: AmethystGrau '03 530i

Originally Posted by Leong' post='1044273' date='Nov 1 2009, 08:25 AM
An M Sports steering wheel is next - Should enhance the feel of the car, look good and you use/appreciate it every time you drive.
Have you seen this one M steering wheel

Did you get your dealer to do the springs, and chip? Those are not M springs, or are they? My dealer in Wellington here is very conservative, unless the parts are not from BMW they advise against it. Like this, just change the spring, H&R

Back to body kit, thinking about getting this one, but not a fan of the rear ACS replica
Old 10-31-2009, 12:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 530_nz' post='1044275' date='Nov 1 2009, 08:46 AM
Have you seen this one M steering wheel

Did you get your dealer to do the springs, and chip? Those are not M springs, or are they? My dealer in Wellington here is very conservative, unless the parts are not from BMW they advise against it. Like this, just change the spring, H&R

Back to body kit, thinking about getting this one, but not a fan of the rear ACS replica
Haha! Yes I have, I get new E60 listings on Trademe emailed to me everyday!! I asked the trader about this steering wheel because I'm not sure how genuine it is. I've never seen one like that - ie coloured stitching but without the M logo. It might feel the same, but it then again a lot of replicas don't. He just said it came off an E60...... possibly an import? It might be OK, but I wouldn't get that same feel good factor that I would with a genuine one. Have you seen my wheels on TradeMe?

The Bluefin was bought off Trademe (I'm Leong72 if you want to look up the details). All very easy and DIY. You can change back to the standard map in less than 5 minutes. Can't remember if you have diesel or petrol but theres a huge difference in performance with the diesel, compared to other performance mods I've made in cars over the years.

I talked to both dealers here about the springs and shocks. Both were fine with using aftermarket parts once the car was out of warranty but their behaviour was such that I didn't want to give them my business. I guess they get a lot of time wasters.... So I got the job done thru Motorsport Services, who are in the business of preparing race cars. They don't usually do road cars but my friend is their accountant. I have Bilstein shocks and B and G Springs, lowered about 30mm - factory MSports are lowered 15mm. I'm thinking 30mm is the limit on our roads as when pushing it say up the Rimutakas, the limiting factor is scraping on mid corner bumps. I saw those springs on TradeMe- Think they're for an M5 which is probably a lot heavier at the front.

Same thoughts about the AC Replica. Thought initially of just getting the front, but was concerned about fitting issues, PDC, Headlight Washers etc. Thought I'd go have a look seeing as the trader's in Auckland but never got round to it. No issues at all with the genuine kit, as expected, and for three times the price. We should keep in touch!! Perhaps I could go have a look at the AC kit for you and take some pics!
Old 10-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Contributors

Looks awesome!!

Actually.. it looks EXACTLY like the car sitting in my driveway!
Old 10-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Looks great.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:38 PM
Contributors

Nice morning, "new" car - thought I'd take some pics!

Some show off the matte black rear diffuser that a few asked about...
Attached Thumbnails DIY MTech Body kit installed today-pb010059.jpg   DIY MTech Body kit installed today-pb010061.jpg   DIY MTech Body kit installed today-pb010062.jpg   DIY MTech Body kit installed today-pb010063.jpg   DIY MTech Body kit installed today-pb010064.jpg  

DIY MTech Body kit installed today-pb010070.jpg   DIY MTech Body kit installed today-pb010085.jpg   DIY MTech Body kit installed today-pb010086.jpg  

Quick Reply: DIY MTech Body kit installed today