E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

DINAN stage 3 engine mods - 545i

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the end of this week I'm getting the DINAN stage 3 engine stuff put on my 2004 545i steptronic (stage 3 software, air intake, muffler, and throttle body). I've searched around for dyno results and didn't see much, so I figured I'd pre and post dyno numbers in case anyone else was curious.

I know dyno numbers aren't real world street numbers, etc, etc, but it should at least give some kind of idea what gains to expect.

The pre-DINAN dyno was today. It was 77 degrees F and 35% humidity. The runs were in 4th gear and peak HP was 279.7 and peak torque was 266. This was on a Dyno Dynamics dyno, not a Dynojet. I'll scan in and post the dyno sheets later when I get home if anyone is curious. That sounds pretty close though, since manual RWD cars lose about 15% drivetrain (or so people say), plus figure a bit more for the automatic. AFR was really flat at 13.5 or so all the way to 6500rpm.

Post DINAN dyno is Monday.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

All right! Kudos to you. You're the first one here I can recall that did a pre-dyno run before doing your engine mods. I'm looking forward to see the post-dyno run!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Those are pretty good numbers considering the average drive train loss for automatics is around 20%. I had the Dinan Stage 3 mods on my 545 as well but never did any dyno runs.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

looking forward to seeing the results
Old 07-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, BMW Stainless Steel Pedals, #166 Rims

Are you going to do a dyno after each upgrade? It would be interesting to see how much the each part adds to the car. I think I have heard that the Dinan intake adds 10hp on the dyno and it would be interesting to see how much the throttle body adds. Do you have the dyno's for your baseline that you can scan into computer and post? It would be great to see. I'm also not familar with the dyno you are using how does it differ then the Dynojet, is it an engine brake dyno?

Great info. Hope you enjoy the new toys.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:03 AM
Members

My local dealer is doing the parts, so it will just be a Dyno after all the parts are installed. A Dyno Dynamics is similar to a Dynojet, it still uses rollers on the drive wheels. They tend to read lower than a Dynojet though, since at least the place I went too measures WHP, they don't add the assumed drivetrain loss on to get a nice screenshot number.

Here's the dyno they have:

Dyno Dynamics 450DS

I scanned the runs and emailed them to work, so once I get in there I'll post the dyno sheets.

Originally Posted by sirch' post='446050' date='Jul 10 2007, 11:55 PM
Are you going to do a dyno after each upgrade? It would be interesting to see how much the each part adds to the car. I think I have heard that the Dinan intake adds 10hp on the dyno and it would be interesting to see how much the throttle body adds. Do you have the dyno's for your baseline that you can scan into computer and post? It would be great to see. I'm also not familar with the dyno you are using how does it differ then the Dynojet, is it an engine brake dyno?

Great info. Hope you enjoy the new toys.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Members

Thanks for the info.

Can't wait to see the dyno.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Members

Here are the premod dyno scans for sirch. The first is HP and AFR and the second is HP and torque.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Members

Thanks for posting the information. It looks very good for 5k-6k rpms but it really does not tell much at all before then. I know 4th gear pulls usually yeilds better numbers due to taller gears then third, but is there a way to have the dyno numbers from 3k-6krpms? that seems to be a more usuable power range for the daily drivers. I'll planning on getting my car dynoed sometime within the next two weeks, and was wondering if the dyno shop had any problems with dynoing the car?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sirch' post='446485' date='Jul 11 2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks for posting the information. It looks very good for 5k-6k rpms but it really does not tell much at all before then. I know 4th gear pulls usually yeilds better numbers due to taller gears then third, but is there a way to have the dyno numbers from 3k-6krpms? that seems to be a more usuable power range for the daily drivers. I'll planning on getting my car dynoed sometime within the next two weeks, and was wondering if the dyno shop had any problems with dynoing the car?
He was trying to figure out how fast he could roll into the throttle in manual mode without it downshifting I think, that's why the last run the hp and torque curve start earlier. I'm expecting most of the gain from the throttle body and airbox to be at higher rpms anyhow so I wasn't too worried about it.

Quick Reply: DINAN stage 3 engine mods - 545i