E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan or RPI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i (E60) - Titanium Silver | Black Dakota w/ Bamboo Anthracite | Sports Package | Premium Package | Steptronic | Navigation | Logic 7 Former: 1995 540i MSport (E34) - 6sp, B&M Short Shift | Dinan Intake | Dinan Exhaust | Dinan Chip 1987 325iC (E30) - sold

Originally Posted by 5fanatic
Based on all of the great replies i'm leaning toward the following

Dinan high flow intake system
Dinan high flow throttle body
Rpi scoops
Rpi exhaust

I don't know much about the ESS Tune? Is that similar to the Dinan stage 3 software? ESS tune claims HP gains of 10-15!!!

If I'm doing this right then the gains are as follows
18 for the dinan intake
4 for the dinan throttle
15 for the rpi exhaust
12 for ESS
49-50 hp total
5fanatic - Did you ever get these mods done? My OCD is kicking in and I want to start with some of these mods...now!. I agree on the Dinan intake, Dinan throttle body, etc... but am unsure about the tune myself. Dinan is currently holding a 20% off software sale and am thinking might be a better value today despite the lower comparative gains vs. ESS. Dinan happens to be pretty close to me so convenience is a factor as well.

Just a side story... Many moons ago when I had my '95 540i Msport, a friend of mine's roommate worked at Dinan. He specifically worked on "tunes" and used to go on and on about the amount of testing done to ensure performance with the hopes of reliability. He had some great stories about car testing on Monterey highway with Steve. Anyway, he hooked me up with a great deal on a chip, intake and exhaust. I loved the products and ever since then have been a proponent of their goods but am open to other products that real users have found to be much better!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by a42kracer
5fanatic - Did you ever get these mods done? My OCD is kicking in and I want to start with some of these mods...now!. I agree on the Dinan intake, Dinan throttle body, etc... but am unsure about the tune myself. Dinan is currently holding a 20% off software sale and am thinking might be a better value today despite the lower comparative gains vs. ESS. Dinan happens to be pretty close to me so convenience is a factor as well.

Just a side story... Many moons ago when I had my '95 540i Msport, a friend of mine's roommate worked at Dinan. He specifically worked on "tunes" and used to go on and on about the amount of testing done to ensure performance with the hopes of reliability. He had some great stories about car testing on Monterey highway with Steve. Anyway, he hooked me up with a great deal on a chip, intake and exhaust. I loved the products and ever since then have been a proponent of their goods but am open to other products that real users have found to be much better!
I can't speak much to the differences between the Dinan and ESS tune, but generally good feedback regarding both tunes:

ESS Tune Google Query
Dinan Tune Google Query

Personally, I plan to do the ESS tune in the coming months after obtaining the correct BDM interface. Unfortunately for me, ESS said they would not send me my original (OEM) DME flash contents prior to putting the tuned image on, so they've pretty much forced me to order a BDM interface so I can suck the original flash contents down myself before shipping my DME out to get it re-programmed. Slightly silly logic on their part given that they know I already have the DME contents from a 650i (same platform, iirc), and I wouldn't be gaining acces to any IP that would be of any threat to them that I don't have already, but I want to run their tune so I'm willing to play along. Just sucks for me cause I want that damn tune and those EVC BDM programmers don't pop up on ebay all that often!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550 -- Dinan Stage 1 (fully loaded) -------------------------------------------- 1. Dinan Free Flow Exhaust 2. Dinan High Flow Intake 3. Dinan Stage 3 Software 4. Dinan Shock Braces 5. Dinan Strut Braces 6. Dinan Throttle Body 7. Dinan Stage 1 Suspension 8. Black kidney grills 9. HRE Performance Rims (P40s in textured black) 10. Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires

I drive a 2008 BMW 550 - Dinan Stage 1. Over the last three weeks I had the following mods done to my car:
  1. Dinan Free Flow Exhaust
  2. Dinan High Flow Intake
  3. Dinan Stage 3 Software
  4. Dinan Shock Braces
  5. Dinan Strut Braces
  6. Dinan Throttle Body
  7. Dinan Stage 1 Suspension
Each piece, in conjunction with software, changes the cars performance ever so slightly. Any one piece on its own doesn't provide dramatic increases in performance. When I completed the Free Flow Exhaust, High Flow Intake, Throttle Body and Stage 3 Software -- *completely* different car. I have the Sport Auto transmission -- Dinan provides even greater gains over that. Immediate throttle response (no more lag), improved throttle response at all intervals, significant increase in overall HP and an exhaust that sounds like what a V8 should sound like. Dinan also maintains your warranty if that's a concern.

The suspension modifications were secondary. Adding in front and rear braces and changing out the entire suspension system. Coming from the regular Sport Suspension to Dinan Stage 1 suspension, the difference is remarkable. You have the same travel (up and down) as the Sport Suspension, but your 1/2 an inch lower / more aggressive. The car no longer bounces when going over bumps in the road -- it sticks. And lastly, the car has almost zero roll in the corners. The car remains almost flat when going around a corner at 80 mph.

Every time I drive this car I can't help but smile. If you own a 550, these upgrade in my opinion are mandatory.

Todd
Attached Thumbnails Dinan or RPI?-dinan-5.jpg  
Old 02-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ciphin
I drive a 2008 BMW 550 - Dinan Stage 1. Over the last three weeks I had the following mods done to my car:
  4. Dinan Shock Braces
  5. Dinan Strut Braces
  6. Dinan Throttle Body
Each piece, in conjunction with software, changes the cars performance ever so slightly. Any one piece on its own doesn't provide dramatic increases in performance. When I completed the Free Flow Exhaust, High Flow Intake, Throttle Body and Stage 3 Software -- *completely* different car. I have the Sport Auto transmission -- Dinan provides even greater gains over that. Immediate throttle response (no more lag), improved throttle response at all intervals, significant increase in overall HP and an exhaust that sounds like what a V8 should sound like. Dinan also maintains your warranty if that's a concern.

The suspension modifications were secondary. Adding in front and rear braces and changing out the entire suspension system. Coming from the regular Sport Suspension to Dinan Stage 1 suspension, the difference is remarkable. You have the same travel (up and down) as the Sport Suspension, but your 1/2 an inch lower / more aggressive. The car no longer bounces when going over bumps in the road -- it sticks. And lastly, the car has almost zero roll in the corners. The car remains almost flat when going around a corner at 80 mph.

Every time I drive this car I can't help but smile. If you own a 550, these upgrade in my opinion are mandatory.

Todd
Niiice! Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. I agree with your sentiments on all as applied to my 545i - the upgrades turned a nice, quick, luxurious car into a real sports sedan that is loads of fun to drive. In an ideal world the sport package would have been like this from the factory.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 545i 04 Mods: Matte White / Black car color Matte Kidney Grills Angel Eyes White Fog Lights White lights license plate M5 Body kit RPI GT Exhaust

trust me ,, don't go with the RPI

i've installed RPI exhaust on my 545i it's only good sound

there's 0% gain power .. im really disappointed ...

good luck
Old 02-16-2011, 07:30 AM
Members

4. Dinan Shock Braces
  5. Dinan Strut Braces
  6. Dinan Throttle Body

Todd

How much was all of this?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Shadow V8
trust me ,, don't go with the RPI

i've installed RPI exhaust on my 545i it's only good sound

there's 0% gain power .. im really disappointed ...

good luck

There might be an install issue in your case, as there are numerous documented Dyno runs proving gains with RPI.
What are you basing 0% power gains?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i
Model Year: 2007

4. Dinan Shock Braces
  5. Dinan Strut Braces
  6. Dinan Throttle Body

Todd
So I started the thread that posted on for Dinan vs RPI. Your mods sound great and prompted me to give Dinan a call to see if there is anything else I could add. They said the 3.45 differential changes everything. There is a 17% gain in torque. Have you considered this, or do you know anyone thats used it? Also have you put your car on a dyno yet? I'm curious of the actual hp gains.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:48 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 545i 04 Mods: Matte White / Black car color Matte Kidney Grills Angel Eyes White Fog Lights White lights license plate M5 Body kit RPI GT Exhaust

There might be an install issue in your case, as there are numerous documented Dyno runs proving gains with RPI.
What are you basing 0% power gains?
that's why am so mad about it .. where is the 13 HP they were talking about..!?

i think it's only for marketing their product as im sure i've installed it correctly as per their DIY in RPI forums..

Quick Reply: Dinan or RPI?