E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan ECU remap

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 06:45 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I remember that chart well. I had posted about Upsolute and then you gathered info on the others into that chart....

There's an Upsolute dealer close to my house but I was skeptical about the claimed gains. Even though it was the cheapest I still waited for the Dinan software. I read that Upsolute was more specialized in tuning turbo diesels in Europe so I wasn't sure how good they were with other engines. At the end of the day, I settled for Dinan mainly because they are a reputable and specialized BMW tuner, also close to my house.

Anyway, VT, for $400, let's try it on your car after you do the baseline dyno run. Maybe we can ask that shop to see if they have any money back guarantees if the dyno results aren't within reason with the claimed increase?
Old 03-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Eventhough I'm a skeptic about remapping the ECU, I'm willing to give it a shot with Upsolute. I'm just hoping that they will offer a refund if there isn't any performance gain. They're claiming an increase of 20 hp. Just went to their forum website and read that all the distributors in Norcal are gone.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Contributors

Hmm...I'll check with Rocketeer Performance. That was the place I talked to a while back.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:44 AM
AlB
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JetBlack' post='399385' date='Mar 6 2007, 08:52 PM
No. Because our cars do not have "chips" anymore. They are flash programs
Besides BMW did not leave 30 horsepower laying on the table unused by software.
I agree,

To expect much more than a 10 hp gain from any software remap on the 550i is dreaming. I believe this is the case with most BMW NA cars which come nearly fully tweaked from the factory. FI cars are the exception where boost can be adjusted. A lot of companies (even reputable ones) will make higher claims, but I am very skeptical. Most can easily remap throttle response which may give the impression of increased power, but to increase net HP significantly is a different story.

In my opinion, you will get a much better performance feel by changing the rear dif to a shorter gear compared to a software remap. The biggest bang for the buck will probably be a new exhaust from the manifold back, but I am not sure if aftermarket headers are avaiable for the 550i. Plus, the cost would be high.

I have heavily modded several cars in the past and the bottom line is, unless you do something radical (like FI), you will not make significant changes that can be felt by the butt dyno. My butt, for example has a problem feeling anything less than 20-25 HP. Even if you get 20-25 HP. you very quickly become used to it and it no longer cures that quest for mo powa. So now you will look for more ways to spend your hard earned money for what will turn out to be insignificant gains which you will quickly adjust to again.

The 550i is a strong car in stock form. Be happy with it, or save your money and buy a M5. For what many are paying for a new loaded 550i, a lightly used 06 M5 can be had.

Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoy fast powerful cars. I have previously owned a Mustang cobra that I slapped a blower on. I have also owned a S54 M roadster and an E39 M5 which were modded.

I didn't mean to piss on anyone's corn flakes, happy modding if you feel the need.

Al
Old 03-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Contributors

Dave,
I remember that chart very well, too, but I'm more interested in tuners in US, but none is available for 550i as we speak to increase at least 20 to 30hp like the link I've showned.

Upsolute does not have software for 550i as yet based on their web site.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AlB' post='399717' date='Mar 7 2007, 10:44 AM
I didn't mean to piss on anyone's corn flakes, happy modding if you feel the need.
HAHAHAHA....that's a new one.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='399659' date='Mar 7 2007, 09:28 AM
Eventhough I'm a skeptic about remapping the ECU, I'm willing to give it a shot with Upsolute. I'm just hoping that they will offer a refund if there isn't any performance gain. They're claiming an increase of 20 hp. Just went to their forum website and read that all the distributors in Norcal are gone.
I looked over Upsolute's message board and found a post where they mentioned a 2 week money back guarantee.

I'm in agreement with AlB. I've been a skeptic of remapping ECUs for a long time but I'm the type of person that learn things the hard way. I've been in situation where I should have took the advice of people that been through it but I never learn.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Contributors

Al,

Very well said! I don't think you piss anyone at all.
Thanks, and it makes sense to have money for 5-year gas supply for M5

Gas on my 550i for 5 year supply: $50/tank x 2 times/week x 52 weeks x 5 years = $26000
Gas on M5 for 5 year supply: $50/tank x 3 times/week (in my case ) x 52 weeks x 5 years = $39000
Old 03-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I agree most of these are European based but most had ways of dealing in the US. If you really dig there are ways. However, with the little gains in the first place, the doubt that you actually get even those gains and (in my case) the fact that I could get an assured 35 hp and 30 ft lbs by going to a 650 (will do MY08) I quit looking into these remappers. Just put up in case it would save somebody some research time or give them a quick start on obtaining info. I think I last updated in late 05 or early 06.

I went looking for some emails between me and a "local" rep for one of these tuners. But they must be on work system. Anyway they kinda work out of their garage. You drive there and they rework the ECU and off you go. It had to be Upsolute as it was ~$400. After a few emails I dropped the whole thing.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Got the car back ... finally! Sorry no absolute numbers, but I don't care about that to be honest. Steve Dinan greeted me at the door and told me that the car is now a 375 to 380 hp monster. And he did a test run to make sure the top speed limiter was removed ... at 175 mph!!! HOLY SH*T!!! I'll never do that on a personal note, but to say that Steve Dinan took my car that fast is big-time bragging rights for any car enthusiast! WOW! Anyway, to make a long story short, the car hauls a$$. Throttle response is immediate without having to press the pedal down farther like before to get the same response. I notice 90 degree turns around residential neighborhoods in 3rd gear is much more torquey and responsive compared to before where a turn in 3rd gear needed 3/4 throttle to get the car moving smoothly. Now it's just 3rd gear and 1/4 or less throttle! Same thing on the freeway ... 6th gear at 70 mph: tap the throttle just a tad and the car thrusts forward effortlessly; add 1/4 throttle and the car lurches forward. I'm sure the response has a lot to do with the lightweight wheels in addition to the throttle body, K&N filter, and exhaust. Unsprung weight savings: approx. 47 lbs. The car responds smoothly; no jerkiness whatsoever. And that annoying manual transmission "jerk" when adding throttle (lightly) after coasting with no throttle (whether in town or on the freeway) is GONE!!! Amen to that!

I got to drive Dinan's 645Ci SMG with the 3.45 diff + lightened flywheel for comparison. Literally, NIGHT AND DAY. Now I see why Dinan is urging me to get those mods to really put the power down. Just tap the throttle in any gear and the car responds with so much torque, it's not even funny. Acceleration from a stop is ROCKET fast! I did note that the cruising revs went up: 65 mph in 6th (in my car with stock 2.93 diff) yields an engine speed of about 2200 rpm, but in the 645, engine rpm was about 2450 rpm. Not a huge change considering that both cars have the same gear ratios, but nonetheless, it's definitely something to consider if you want to transform your V8 into a monster.

Dinan ECU remap-dsc01877.jpg

Quick Reply: Dinan ECU remap