E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

deviating Tints!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 01:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i SMG Alpine White/Black Leather, Sport, Logic7, Cold Weather, Navigation

Opinion Please:

Im getting my 545i Alpine White/Black On Monday. I want to get tints. My dad wont let me put 20's koz their too dark. Does any one know how it would look with 20% tint in the back windows and 35% in the front? Would it look wierd? Or would it look cool!!? any pics of such cars?
Old 12-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

It will look fine.... that is, if you mean 20% on the rear windshield, and then 35% on the doors.

If you do 20% on the back doors, and 35% on the front it will look retarded.

I had a Honda with 5% on the back windshield and 20% on the sides. It was very nice.

Here is my suggestion, however. I would look for a semi-reflective tint like SunGard "Endurance". It comes in 32%, but depending on the sunlight it reflects enough to give you privacy. But it doesn't look like a mirror. It's a classly looking tint, not ghetto at all.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

My dad wouldn't let me put tint on at all. :bashwall: Maybe when I grow up he'll let me do it.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Window tint is an important safety feature, which all cars should have.

Not only does it reduce heat inside the car, it prevents glare and even keeps glass stuck together in the event your windows get broken.

Furthermore, the increased privacy is a safety feature. I remember one time driving with my younger brother... we were sitting at a red light waiting for it to change. A guy in a car behind us was coming up on us fast and almost did not stop in time. My brother saw him in the rearview mirror and said to me... "Holy crap, that guy almost rear ended us HARD." Well.... because our windows were not tinted, the guy behind us saw my brother looking at him in the rearview and talking. So he pulled up next to us and starting trying to pick a fight. We drove off as the guy was getting out of his car to come attack us.

Point is..... if we had tint then, he would never have seen my brother and a potential confrontation would have been avoided.

Tell your dads to consider window tint. It is an excellent feature to have.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

My dad wouldn't let me get 5% all around but 5% on the rear windshield and 20% all around but.. with my own money im gonna take off the 20% and put 5% and tint the front windshield 35% you won't be able to see my ass!!! Hell my dad prob won't even know the difference
Old 12-25-2004, 11:40 AM
Contributors

I had 32% Endurance on the entire front windshield on my old Acura, and then on the Lexus after that. It is awesome. The car almost never got hot, and headlights at night never blinded me.

But.... you better be careful with that in NJ.

I lived in SC and in FL now. Sunlight here is so bright all the time that you can get away with dark tint easily. But in NJ I bet they'll pull you over in a heartbeat.

P.S. - You do not want darker than 20% on the sides, man. Trust me on this. You won't be able to see out at night well enough to make turns at intersections. And even worse, if you get into a car accident you'll get your ass sued like there is no tomorrow.... whether its your fault or not.

If you get your front windshield done, then 20% on the sides will be much darker looking because less light will get into the car from the front. You won't be able to see inside, period. You don't need 5% on the sides.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i w/ sports and premium pakage, titanium silver, gray dakota leather w/ polar grain wood trim, steptronic

i don no wat % but i put darkest one on the back and sides and put lightest for the

front sides. it looks ok but at night when i turn my head 2 make a lane change, its

hard 2 see.....
Old 12-26-2004, 04:28 AM
Contributors

You don't want to use different tint on the front doors vs. the back doors. That just looks stupid.

But having the doors the same, and the back windshield different is fine.