E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dension Gateway 500 Ipod connection

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MTRHEAD' post='412095' date='Apr 10 2007, 01:06 PM
>Hi, your car (04 530ia Silver Gray/Black) is fully supported now, please contact your dealer, and ask him for a Gateway500 MOST system device with FW >1.05.
>Thank you for your patience.

Oh dear more confusion, I just heard the Dension 500 gateway can only support March 05 onwards (which if I recall was the same issue as the BMW IPOD interface had when it came out). Also not yet in stock anywhere I can see. Since I have a Dec 04 car if this is true I'm stuffed
That's not what Dension wrote to me (see above) and what the Dension web site states http://www.dension.com/oem2.php?car_id=1014

Now if only I could find someone who sells it in the US I sent an email to the distributor in Canada that is listed in Dension's web site but haven't heard from them.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Members

>That's not what Dension wrote to me (see above) and what the Dension web site states http://www.dension.com/oem2.php?car_id=1014

>Now if only I could find someone who sells it in the US I sent an email to the distributor in Canada that is listed in Dension's web site but haven't heard >from them.

Agreed, but I heard this from Maxxcount.de who in 18 months of waiting for this to go on sale seem to be the most "clued up" dealer in Europe. As far as I recall they were the first dealer to have the Audi/Porsche/Mercedes units in stock. You might want to contact them to see if they could ship to Canada when they get the units in stock and whether the GW is compatible with a pre-March 2005 car.

My take on this potential compatability issue is that it is the same one that stopped early E60's being able to read MP3 discs, CD titles etc. If the BMW HW is just not capable I'm wondering if the GW just cannot display song titles on a pre- March 2005 car.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

After three weeks of waiting I've received the following email from Dension support "Hi, the product has been released, but your car has to meet some special requirements, please contact your distributor, for personal details". Does anybody knows what are the special requirements that he is talking about? I'm going to contact the distributor here in Cyprus but I don't have high expectations... In any case I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by kekkos' post='415936' date='Apr 20 2007, 09:18 AM
After three weeks of waiting I've received the following email from Dension support "Hi, the product has been released, but your car has to meet some special requirements, please contact your distributor, for personal details". Does anybody knows what are the special requirements that he is talking about? I'm going to contact the distributor here in Cyprus but I don't have high expectations... In any case I'll keep you posted.
I have it in my car, but we need to reprogram the car and also open the CD-CHANGER port. You need MP3 capable CD/DVD-player of BMW and a CD-CHANGER or a preparation for that like in my case. It is more complex let's see if with the reprogam and opening the port it will work, if it will it will see all ID3 tags etc, and the CD-CHANGER liek 6 CDs will contain a 7th that will be your Ipod or USB flash/HDD or anything which plays MP3! Normally next week I hope I can show you. Thanks. my car is 07/2005 no NAV but Radio Prof (2 tunners+MP3 capability) + CD-CHANGER extention or preparation, but not yet any changer.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d E61, M-Package in Carbonblack, DVB-T and X-Box installed

Hi Ats77,

please keep us updated on this

regs
Volkmar
Old 04-20-2007, 03:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

So for those of us with the standard (european) unit it is useless! I called the distributor here in Cyprus later today and as I was expecting he wasn't informed, but as he told one of his technicians is in Germany now for training on the latest Dension products and he will be back by Monday. Hopefully we can get answer to our questions on Monday afternoon.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Members

>So for those of us with the standard (european) unit it is useless! I called the distributor here in Cyprus later today >and as I was expecting he wasn't informed, but as he told one of his technicians is in Germany now for training on >the latest Dension products and he will be back by Monday. Hopefully we can get answer to our questions on >Monday afternoon.

Yep as I suggested earlier it looks as though after 18 months of waiting if you don't have a post March 2005 E60 and/or Prof radio this just isn't going to work.

Damn....I hope it isn't going to be back to the BMW IPOD interface as the only option. That would also tie in with what I was told about the unit not being compatible with pre-March 2005 models, all to do with MP3 capable head units.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Contributors

I'm afraid I can only confirm what MTRHEAD and ats77 said before. My dealer called me today and he informed me that I must have "mp3 cable unit", in other words Prof. radio in order to be able to install Gateway 500. So the only way to enjoy ipod connectivity is to go with the bmw ipod interface despite all its limitations. I'm thinking to buy a prof. unit from ebay and replace my std unit. Does anybody know if this can be done and if coding is required?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Members

> So the only way to enjoy ipod connectivity is to go with the bmw ipod interface despite all its limitations. I'm thinking >to buy a prof. unit from ebay and replace my std unit.

Ugh that is so grim after waiting all this time and then being told by Dension that it would work on my 04 model! My only hope is that they can code a way round this in the same way as BMW must have done with their IPOD interface. But I bet then it will end up with the same limitations (folders etc)

>Does anybody know if this can be done and if coding is >required?

I did check with BMW on the cost of retrofitting the Prof radio, they reckoned ?1200 even though it was only a ?200 option at purchase time. I'd be careful to clarify exactly what you need, as I recall the Prof radio was needed to read mp3 on the dash CD. However I seem to recall something about CCC versus MASK head units.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530D Sport Touring Auto Sat Nav Dension Gateway Parrot CK3100

Originally Posted by MTRHEAD' post='416967' date='Apr 23 2007, 05:19 PM
> So the only way to enjoy ipod connectivity is to go with the bmw ipod interface despite all its limitations. I'm thinking >to buy a prof. unit from ebay and replace my std unit.

Ugh that is so grim after waiting all this time and then being told by Dension that it would work on my 04 model! My only hope is that they can code a way round this in the same way as BMW must have done with their IPOD interface. But I bet then it will end up with the same limitations (folders etc)
>Does anybody know if this can be done and if coding is >required?

I did check with BMW on the cost of retrofitting the Prof radio, they reckoned ?1200 even though it was only a ?200 option at purchase time. I'd be careful to clarify exactly what you need, as I recall the Prof radio was needed to read mp3 on the dash CD. However I seem to recall something about CCC versus MASK head units.
Talked to some fitters today and Dension dealers.

Seems that you need to have a CCC system not MASK - ??

If your CD player allows you to play an MP3 track then the Gateway 500 will work and will display the track title on the Nav screen.

Dealer wanted ?210.90 to install the latest sw level on the car which would ensure that I could play an MP3 track - so I burn't a CD and it seems that I can play the track without an expensive trip to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 Ipod connection