E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dension Gateway 500 Ipod connection

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007 | 08:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by judahzlion' post='453950' date='Aug 1 2007, 03:29 PM
Antonh;

I am in US and I have also completed installation on E60 5 series and it works just like yours. I did not decide final cable locations.
Looking at yours looks great except I will move AUX connector close to the corner probably to the right than the middle of the compartment.
I am doing it myself and writing DIY. Do you know if they used the cables provided by Dension or purchased extensions.
He only used the cables that came in the box, they were long enough already.

Anton
Old 08-02-2007 | 07:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

Is it necessary to have AUX prepped or just the CD CHanger prepped. I have the US L7 with Cd changer, anything else I need to have done before install?
Old 08-02-2007 | 07:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

Originally Posted by Breae60' post='454435' date='Aug 2 2007, 11:35 AM
Is it necessary to have AUX prepped or just the CD CHanger prepped. I have the US L7 with Cd changer, anything else I need to have done before install?
AFAI, you only need CD Changer Prep or Cd Changer installed , so you can use the fiberoptic connector it has and hook it upto to Dension. The Dension will provide you AUX port so you can hookup non-IPOD players too. But who cares about IPOD, when you can hook up 60GB Laptop HardDrives and play from it
Old 08-02-2007 | 08:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

Originally Posted by coolguy' post='454437' date='Aug 2 2007, 08:40 AM
AFAI, you only need CD Changer Prep or Cd Changer installed , so you can use the fiberoptic connector it has and hook it upto to Dension. The Dension will provide you AUX port so you can hookup non-IPOD players too. But who cares about IPOD, when you can hook up 60GB Laptop HardDrives and play from it

Thanks, now can someone figure out hoe to get video???
Old 08-02-2007 | 09:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Too bad dension can't come out with just one solution,

to plug in the ipod to view video on the idrive screen (without Navtogo or the ACM module), and plug in Harddrives to play WMV, MPGs, AVI's in the Idrive, using the knob to control it with the Dension, and plug in external DVD / video source just to view other stuff, again, without using any other Video hardware like Navtogo or ACM module..

Wishful thinking huh?
Old 08-02-2007 | 09:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Breae60' post='454457' date='Aug 2 2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks, now can someone figure out hoe to get video???
Assume you mean to get video out to the main (Nav) screen? The Dension unit can't do this directly. However the TVandNav2Go unit might work. I guess you could use the IVE1000 accessory to get the composite video output from the GW500, and run this into the TVandNav2Go box.
Old 08-03-2007 | 02:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by coolguy' post='454437' date='Aug 2 2007, 04:40 PM
Has anyone actually tried using one with a USB attached hard drive, as opposed to flash memory? According to the manual, hard drives draw too much power:

Gateway works well with USB flash drives but do not work with a hard disk:
Hard Disk applications are critical to the power budget.
1. Use the original USB cable included with the hard disk.
2. Remove the USB extension cable delivered with the Gateway device.
3. Use the UPB1000 Power Booster Accessory to generate more power for the hard disk.

Now clearly different hard drives draw different amounts of power, but I have heard that most draw more than the specified limit for USB ports (500mA at 5V DC, i.e. 2.5 Watts). This is not usually a problem on desktop PCs because they overengineer the ports. The GW500 must be able to supply close to this, because charging an Ipod photo uses almost the full power allowed.

It would be useful to know if anyone has got a standard 2.5" drive working on the standard Dension USB cable without the UPB1000 booster, particularly as Mrs AntonH would like our spare Ipod back to play baby music in our nursery
Old 08-03-2007 | 06:30 AM
Members

I have my GW500 being installed on Monday by a chap that does our company parrot installs. He's not done a dension one before so if possible any help would be appreciated to answer the following questions:
1. I have a three step guid to removing the glove box lid, but I believe we need to remove the whole glove box. Does anyone have simple instructions for this?

2. Anton has his installed under the phone prep cable, how hard is it to get the Ipod and USB cable into this unit through the centre console / tunnel?

3. Any MAJOR do not do'd before he sets off?

4. Any other inputs are very welcome.

Unfortunately I'm away on Monday so this guy will be on his own. He is an excellent installer so I have every faith in him..

Roy
Old 08-03-2007 | 01:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by foxy_uk' post='454857' date='Aug 3 2007, 03:30 PM
I have my GW500 being installed on Monday by a chap that does our company parrot installs. He's not done a dension one before so if possible any help would be appreciated to answer the following questions:
1. I have a three step guid to removing the glove box lid, but I believe we need to remove the whole glove box. Does anyone have simple instructions for this?

2. Anton has his installed under the phone prep cable, how hard is it to get the Ipod and USB cable into this unit through the centre console / tunnel?

3. Any MAJOR do not do'd before he sets off?

4. Any other inputs are very welcome.

Unfortunately I'm away on Monday so this guy will be on his own. He is an excellent installer so I have every faith in him..

Roy
I can't provide much advice on the installation itself as I left that to my installer. However if you haven't done already I would suggest putting the latest copy of the firmware (v2.03) on a USB stick (ensuring that it is FAT32 filesystem, not NTFS - check the drive properties in Windows if not sure). Leave the USB stick with the installer and ask him to load it up (this is done simply by connecting the USB drive and waiting) and test it after the new firmware is loaded. My GW500 arrived with old firmware (v1.05) that is completely useless with I-Drive. Otherwise the installer won't be able to check that it's working properly.

Jackdaw's advice is to do this with the engine running, and give it 5 minutes (although I think it actually completes in under a minute).
Old 08-04-2007 | 02:34 AM
Members

antonh:
Has anyone actually tried using one with a USB attached hard drive, as opposed to flash memory? According to the manual, hard drives draw too much power:
I have tried it with a Freecom Toughdrive Pro 250 GB and a power supply running from the battery to this power adaptor.

It works fine power wise, but the drawback is the dynamic database as opposed to being able to create one in advance on a PC. Hopefully, Dension will create a utility for this. It's okay if you are content to browse via folders and files. See post no.35 in the E90 thread.

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 Ipod connection