E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CSC3 or PS2 tires... which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by BigMike' post='656913' date='Aug 29 2008, 03:53 PM
Any other opinions in regards to choices that will last a bit longer than performance 'soft' tires?

I used Dunlop SP Sport 8000 tires before and I was pleasantly surprised. Good dry and wet grip. Plus the tires lasted for over 25,000 kilometres. The only reason why I changed them is because I hit a monster pothole, bent my front rims and wrecked the sidewall of two tires. Even with over 25,000 kilometres, the tires still had lots of tread left!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

He just messaged me, he says TOYO TPVM and T1R's....
Old 08-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Contributors

In all honesty, tires are sort of like running shoes. It's like comparing Nike, adidas, Reebok, New Balance, Puma, Asics, etc... They all make good running shoes. Comparably, tire manufacturers these days all make good tires. Some are better than others (in terms of test data), but none are really bad anymore. Even tire manufacturers such as Hankook and Kumho make decent tires. Hankook is the tire partner for Hamann by the way and Kumho participates in Le Mans racing.

In most circumstances, you nor your car will be able use high performance tires to its fullest capabilities (no matter what any non-professional driver tells you about their driving prowess). Well... unless you go completely bonkers and drive way beyond the limits of your driving skills, the dynamics of your car and the environment you are driving in. At this point, what tires you have on your car won't matter and seat belts, airbags, and crash safety will! Any tire expert worth his salt will tell you that you should buy tires that suit your driving style/habits and the conditions you drive in. Throw in a bit of personal preference like brand and voila!

Most if not all high performance tires have about half the tread life (some less) than regular tires. This is the trade off for improved levels of performance. If tire/road noise is a factor, that is something you should consider. Higher dry weather grip usually means you sacrifice wet weather performance and vice-versa. But all in all, tires in the same price range are pretty level. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in performance from say.... CSC2s and CSC3s...

Both the CSC3s and the PS2s are excellent tires. So are the Pirelli P-Zero Rossos mention above by the forum's resident Porschephile~ If $$$ is not an issue, get the best possible tire for your driving habits/style/preference and the conditions you drive in. Whether the tires are CSC3s, PS2s, P-Zero Rossos, ADVANs, Potenzas or F1s, you probably have a hard time telling the difference once the tires are mounted on wheels and on to your car.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='656939' date='Aug 29 2008, 08:48 AM
Most if not all high performance tires have about half the tread life (some less) than regular tires. This is the trade off for improved levels of performance. If tire/road noise is a factor, that is something you should consider. Higher dry weather grip usually means you sacrifice wet weather performance and vice-versa. But all in all, tires in the same price range are pretty level. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in performance from say.... CSC2s and CSC3s...

Both the CSC3s and the PS2s are excellent tires. So are the Pirelli P-Zero Rossos mention above by the forum's resident Porschephile~ If $$$ is not an issue, get the best possible tire for your driving habits/style/preference and the conditions you drive in. Whether the tires are CSC3s, PS2s, P-Zero Rossos, ADVANs, Potenzas or F1s, you probably have a hard time telling the difference once the tires are mounted on wheels and on to your car.

Thats not true. I removed the P-zero Rossos that came factory fitted on my Audi A3 2.0T Quattro at 4k miles they were that bad, dry grip was average but they were really bad in the wet(Porsche fitment Rossos are a tottaly different tyre and just share the name). The Eagle NCT 5s fitted to my 5 now arent brilliant and I certainly wont be fitting them back on when these have worn out.

Performance tyres are just that, you can fit cheap average tyres to a car but I always put the best tyre on i can. Not because Im driving around on the limit of the tyre but in case i end up in a dangerous situation where the difference between a normal tyre and a high performance one might mean I dont crash, don't crash as badly or dont hit that person whos just ran out in front of me. At the end of the day If ive spent as much as I have on a car I personally dont see the point trying to save a few hundred pounds by fitting average tyres.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by BigMike' post='656922' date='Aug 29 2008, 08:11 AM
He just messaged me, he says TOYO TPVM and T1R's....

T1Rs wear out incredibly quickly. They actually arent very good value when you look at the wear rates.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

I have replaced my Potenza RFT with PZero Rosso recently and I have to say that it fells like driving a much better car. The ride is more comfortable and noise level has been reduced.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:35 AM
Senior Members

Porschephile--hahahah, that's a funny word. Good one, Seoulman.

As for shoes, I default to Nike all the time. I'll look at CSC3's... Yeah, now way I'd ever see the whole potential of any performance tire out there the way I drive everyday... HAHAHA
Old 08-29-2008, 04:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='657010' date='Aug 29 2008, 08:25 PM
T1Rs wear out incredibly quickly. They actually arent very good value when you look at the wear rates.
Thanks for the replies... Yeah T1R's do wear out fast... maybe that's why he wants to sell them? heheheh
Old 08-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Contributors

So you've decided?