E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Comparing Microfilter Quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013 | 09:34 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i w/M-Tech, Sport and Cold Weather Pkg

I would think that for a part to be marketed as OEM that it must meet certain parameters. These parameters would have to be set by the original manufacturer (BMW). In this particular case Mann makes the actual BMW microfilters and they must be a certain spec from the factory (my guess the spec has nothing to do with weight, but everything thing to do with the filtering ability of the product) and with that said the actual filtering ability of the product is probably within specs.
@Paran - I hear what you are saying, more charcoal/folds = better filtering but where would we ever find the actual spec?
Would it be out of question to say that Mann makes the factory filters with maybe say a 10 MERV and that they weigh more, cost more and filter more but the actual BMW spec as set forth by the design team is for a filter that meets or exceeds 8 MERV to be considered OEM for replacement reasons?
Old 06-21-2013 | 10:49 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

Originally Posted by ditka550
I would think that for a part to be marketed as OEM that it must meet certain parameters. These parameters would have to be set by the original manufacturer (BMW). In this particular case Mann makes the actual BMW microfilters and they must be a certain spec from the factory (my guess the spec has nothing to do with weight, but everything thing to do with the filtering ability of the product) and with that said the actual filtering ability of the product is probably within specs.
@Paran - I hear what you are saying, more charcoal/folds = better filtering but where would we ever find the actual spec?
Would it be out of question to say that Mann makes the factory filters with maybe say a 10 MERV and that they weigh more, cost more and filter more but the actual BMW spec as set forth by the design team is for a filter that meets or exceeds 8 MERV to be considered OEM for replacement reasons?
It's a good question. I believe that the BMW filter will indeed provide better air filtration than the Mann product. I bought the Mann based on price, Amazon reviews, and Made in Germany.

I honestly thought the dealer was simply taking a huge profit on this item and that Mann represented a closer price reality. I was wrong. They are clearly two difference products. The BMW will outperform the Mann, and on this item, "you get what you pay for."

I think Mann realizes that the typical DIY mechanic simply wants to know that the item will drop into place just like the BMW. Therefore, you have all of these glowing reviews on Amazon.

I'll stick with BMW next time and pay the extra cash.

I wonder about Mann oil and air filters vs OEM-BMW. I suspect that the BMW is a better product as well. Perhaps somebody is willing to do a side-by-side.
Old 06-21-2013 | 02:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by paran
It's a good question. I believe that the BMW filter will indeed provide better air filtration than the Mann product. I bought the Mann based on price, Amazon reviews, and Made in Germany.

I honestly thought the dealer was simply taking a huge profit on this item and that Mann represented a closer price reality. I was wrong. They are clearly two difference products. The BMW will outperform the Mann, and on this item, "you get what you pay for."

I think Mann realizes that the typical DIY mechanic simply wants to know that the item will drop into place just like the BMW. Therefore, you have all of these glowing reviews on Amazon.

I'll stick with BMW next time and pay the extra cash.

I wonder about Mann oil and air filters vs OEM-BMW. I suspect that the BMW is a better product as well. Perhaps somebody is willing to do a side-by-side.
It's all the same, oil filters, air filters, cabin filters on and on. If you are buying them outside of BMW then they are not at the same quality level. It doesn't mean they are bad for your car though. So it's still the same. Oem supplier, oem box, the part is just not quite at the level of an oem part. A lot of suppliers do this, so its just not with filters etc.
Old 09-11-2013 | 08:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

While I had my E61 I bought threes sets of micro filters from BMW for my E61. The first service I let them fit them. The second and third time I changed them I bought the filters from them but fitted them myself so I had BMW reciepts. Each time they were a different OEM brand and each set looked different with different edging material and two of the sets had more folds than the other set.

The last time I fitted some to that car I used aftermarket MANN filters as one of the sets BMW supplied were MANN with BMW logos on them as well. They were exactly the same as the BMW supplied ones to look at and had more folds in them than the ones in the OP.

I have just done the pollen filters today on my F11 and used Mann again, they have the same amount of folds as the OEM ones removed this time that were Behr.
Old 09-21-2013 | 09:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545 6 speed

I have to replace mine as it's very dirty so should I just buy it from the dealer or non dealership?
Old 09-23-2013 | 12:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Quite honestly, I don't think you would EVER notice a difference in performance or any kind of effect from either one that you install, probably not even a STP or any other for that fact. BMW does not make filters, their suppliers do. There is a specification on the drawing for the filter that states the material that is to be used and the number of pleats +/- a certain amount etc. I use Mann for my oil but only because I can get them close to my house. I don't want to go to the dealer and pay 30-40% more for a filter that is theoretically better, where a similar one/brand works well too. It really comes down to personal preference and if you want to drop the extra bucks on it.
Old 09-23-2013 | 02:21 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 01/04 545i - 19" Alloys

Hey guys, forgive my ignorance but what is the purpose of these cabin filters? is it for allergies or just stops exhaust fumes entering the cabin from the vehicle in front?

i know my E46 had it, but no other car i owned did. could you just simply remove them like the charcoal filter in the intake box?

or do they actually serve a purpose that i'm unaware of, as not all cars have them.

cheers
Old 09-23-2013 | 11:03 PM
Senior Members

I believe it just keeps crap from finding it's way in to the cabin/passenger area. Think about how much dust could end up inside your car when driving on the highway or dirt roads without them!
Old 09-30-2013 | 12:23 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

The carbon removes odors and the paper element removes dust.

Regarding quality, BMW spec'd cabin filters are clearly better than the after-market MANN filters.

As I have stated before, Mann could also be mfg'ing the BMW filter but to a different higher quality spec.
Old 09-30-2013 | 09:41 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 535d Sport

For the cost difference you could change after-market filters three times as often and still save money vs buying OEM filters from BMW. I recently paid £20 for Fram (unbranded is even cheaper) carbon activated vs £74 for dealer supplied OEM.

The question then becomes, which filters better, a brand new after-market filter or 1 year old used BMW one?.