E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Comments before I add mudflaps...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

thanks to jtp1947 i now have mudflaps... i know alot do not like the but ive noticed some small rock chips so im trying to protect my investment.... anyways still kinda looking for install instructions... eric
Old 07-30-2005, 06:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Oct 10 2004, 06:51 PM
[quote name='realtyman' date='Oct 10 2004, 06:03 PM']Here are some pics om my flaps (BMW) taken today.
Sorry the car is dirty.? Was working all weekend.
[snapback]43329[/snapback]

nice fit, they appear to have!

has anyone done a DIY on these? I'd like to know what's involved.

also, the red reflector's - best place to get them? hard to install?
[snapback]43347[/snapback]
[/quote]
I did the mudflaps myself in about 1 hour. You need to take to wheels out to install them, one at a time.

I have enclosed the instruction.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mud_Flap_Installation.pdf (501.6 KB, 346 views)
Old 07-30-2005, 07:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

Originally Posted by lcc014' date='Jul 30 2005, 07:53 PM
[quote name='wassy' date='Oct 10 2004, 06:51 PM'][quote name='realtyman' date='Oct 10 2004, 06:03 PM']Here are some pics om my flaps (BMW) taken today.
Sorry the car is dirty.? Was working all weekend.
[snapback]43329[/snapback]

nice fit, they appear to have!

has anyone done a DIY on these? I'd like to know what's involved.

also, the red reflector's - best place to get them? hard to install?
[snapback]43347[/snapback]
[/quote]
I did the mudflaps myself in about 1 hour. You need to take to wheels out to install them, one at a time.

I have enclosed the instruction.
[snapback]154735[/snapback]
[/quote]
thanks alot...much appreciated...i post pic when they are complete... eric
Old 07-31-2005, 05:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

it seems like the discussion here is already set, but as for me - mudflaps - NO WAY on such a car as a E60. However I must agree that those E60 BMW mudflaps are very well designed. But still it just does not go with this car for me

But I understand that if someone has this car as a "family car" and wants to keep a bit longer than it is ok. But I still did not get over the idea of the Ultimate Driving Machine which does not go with mudflaps for me at all
Old 08-02-2005, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

I'm just curious, how old are you guys that have mud flaps? I'm willing to bet you guys are in the 40+ age range.

Mudflaps aren't for me, especially now that I know how much they cost! Wowsers.

They have clear bra type protection for that area of the car that costs much less, and looks way better.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:43 PM
Contributors

Maybe age has something to do with it, but spirited driving evokes road debris. If a younger person drives more spirited, then they will incur more damage without the flaps. I have them to keep wheel dressing from being slung onto the under panels. The sticky oil attracts dirt and forces more frequent washing.
More likely than age are the personality differences. One who balks at mudflaps cares so much more about the cool appearance of the car in the short term he likely will replace the car in a couple of years with a shiny new one because of their automotive vanity. This plus they can afford to do it. Mudflap people will keep the car longer and take care of it. It will look two years old after 8 years of driving it. It is a means of transportation, livelihood and is an investment.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

don't install mudflaps!!!! it looks ugly

especially not when your car has a light colour!
Old 10-20-2005, 08:31 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Oct 11 2004, 11:31 AM
Rudy,Oct 11 2004, 10:41 AM]
Although I see the virtues of the flaps, I'll add that they look better on cars that aren't white.? Maybe it's me but I can't stop looking at the flap that wraps around the lip.? Although it's there on other colors, it doesn't seem as noticable as it is with white.

I'd probably get them if I had any other color...

It couldn't stop looking at it either when they 1st went on, but now I don't even notice it. Much less cleaning down low is a plus.
[snapback]43508[/snapback]
What I can't stop looking at is all of the spray behind the wheel of an otherwise immaculate car that doesn't have mud flaps.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by gman' date='Oct 9 2004, 03:25 PM
[quote name='tategoi' date='Jun 13 2004, 03:47 PM']But I feel that mudflaps make the E60 less sporty.
[snapback]12040[/snapback]

I think they look fine especially on a Jet Black...barely noticible. I think I'm going to ask the dealer to throw them on before pick up...maybe I'll get a freebee
[snapback]43013[/snapback]
[/quote]Very cute Avatar. I am going to do something imaginative some day.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by sg530' date='Jun 8 2004, 10:47 PM
After finding tire dressing slung onto the underside of the car behind each wheel, I began to look at the body angles and wheel positions.? I am certain after a few years that stones and road dirt will be thrown off the wheels right onto the underside of the rear panels because they are undercut so deep.? It looks great for style, but the wheel well isn't wide enough to protect the body paint with these factory supplied tires and wheels. I would understand if I put 18 or 19 inch wheels on a car that came with standard 17. But these are factory design wheels (I blame bmw).
So I am contemplating adding mud flaps (maybe BMW option?) at least on the rear.? (No, not like a truck splash guard with a naked girl silhouette.)

I don't see it as a looks issue. No discussion of this anywhere yet.

Now, chime in of pros-cons.
[snapback]11415[/snapback]
I did not read all. Mud flaps would not be my first alternative. I would try to find some of the material that is in the clear bra and apply it--or maybe some after market pieces already are available. I know such things are available for Z06's and other cars. You might even adapt clearies made for another car to your car.

Quick Reply: Comments before I add mudflaps...