E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Coilover Install... Some help Please?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bill109
i dont see why you need to replace nuts or bolts..
My k sports came with pillowball mounts up top so it was complete bolt in. No bs, drop the old suspension, and bolt in the new. Didnt buy any new parts.
User rizbel, if im not mistaken has an awesome write up on diy for co install.
I did mine,(dont have dynamic drive or auto level headlights) and it was a cake walk. The only difficult part was deciding ride height. Loll
ill see if i can find that diy
your car looks low, figured you were on coils already.
Heres a pic. The coils with the big cyclinder looking part are for the front which drop into the spindle and the rears have the mount on one side and the ball joint/eyelet on the other.
Hope this helps.
+1
Old 02-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Thats smooth, definitely would be great to have a simple install. I see you doing K Sports how much did those run you? what made you go with those? I have both dynamic drive and self leveling hope that doesnt suck. Nah no coils, just stock sport suspension my front sits low its just my rear that needs to go a tad bit lower not going to cut any springs.But I have 91k on the car figure if im going to change shocks and struts might as well do coils. they cost damn near the same price.
the k sports so far have been good to me. ive adjusted to the coil over ride. its not as great as the stock as far as taking bumps but the way it handles, not to mention loooks makes up for it hands down.
i would by no means say the ride is bad but i havent been on 4k $ coils either. I paid about 800 shipped to my door for them. they were brand new in the box but the member never got around to installing them. The simplicity of the co install was great.
my deterrent from the st's were the fact that they dont have the full protection from winter weather the kw1 and up have. (from my forums searching, idk how true it is) perhaps they dont have a galvanized coating? my other option was D2 or isc n1.
hope this helps.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Quarta, If you like the Ksports, I remember Michael (member acuteperformance) was selling and supporting them. He still hangs around in the forum. From feedback I've seen is that they're slightly stiffer than stock sport suspension. However, in the end it depends on your driving style, ride comfort tolerance, and budget.

ST coils don't have the same environmental protection as the KW v1, but in SoCal that won't matter as much as north eastern weather. Since you're in the east coast I would advise against them. I think ksports are protected though.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by balbs
Quarta, If you like the Ksports, I remember Michael (member acuteperformance) was selling and supporting them. He still hangs around in the forum. From feedback I've seen is that they're slightly stiffer than stock sport suspension. However, in the end it depends on your driving style, ride comfort tolerance, and budget.

ST coils don't have the same environmental protection as the KW v1, but in SoCal that won't matter as much as north eastern weather. Since you're in the east coast I would advise against them. I think ksports are protected though.
ah so my suspicion was true about them being less protected from the elements.
i beleive k sports are. i occasionally drive my e60 in the winter (New England) and everything seems fine thus far.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Bill109
the k sports so far have been good to me. ive adjusted to the coil over ride. its not as great as the stock as far as taking bumps but the way it handles, not to mention loooks makes up for it hands down.
i would by no means say the ride is bad but i havent been on 4k $ coils either. I paid about 800 shipped to my door for them. they were brand new in the box but the member never got around to installing them. The simplicity of the co install was great.
my deterrent from the st's were the fact that they dont have the full protection from winter weather the kw1 and up have. (from my forums searching, idk how true it is) perhaps they dont have a galvanized coating? my other option was D2 or isc n1.
hope this helps.
Yea see that is my problem I have nothing to compare my ride too, I haven't been in a car with coils. Everyone I know with bimmers aren't into what I am they don't do all the modding they'll slap some rims on and black a few things out but that's where it stops. I like my current ride still feel connected to the road, but I don't feel like I'm in a dangerous speed machine either. I want the perfect balance between luxury and a fully tuned suspension I would guess if one exist.

Originally Posted by balbs

I'm familiar with Acuteperformance I purchased a set of pads and rotors from him a while ago. That's the thing with the weather, what can't the ST's hold up too? I live in MD we don't see a ton of snow like maybe Bill would further up north. I'm from NY we don't even get as close as them and it's 4hrs away. I don't drive the car in the snow because it doesn't move quite honestly I'm not one for switchin wheels every season. N I don't want to take the risk when I first got my car within a couple days I almost lost it because of snow so I don't take the chances. I'm sure the ST's can take water it rains everywhere, lol. The salt is probably my biggest problem but I don't see that much. They also have a five year warranty vs lifetime with the V1's. In 5years I don't think ill have this car. Does the warranty not cover something like a seized coil or rust within that time frame? What's your take?
Old 02-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Yea see that is my problem I have nothing to compare my ride too, I haven't been in a car with coils. Everyone I know with bimmers aren't into what I am they don't do all the modding they'll slap some rims on and black a few things out but that's where it stops. I like my current ride still feel connected to the road, but I don't feel like I'm in a dangerous speed machine either. I want the perfect balance between luxury and a fully tuned suspension I would guess if one exist.

I'm familiar with Acuteperformance I purchased a set of pads and rotors from him a while ago. That's the thing with the weather, what can't the ST's hold up too? I live in MD we don't see a ton of snow like maybe Bill would further up north. I'm from NY we don't even get as close as them and it's 4hrs away. I don't drive the car in the snow because it doesn't move quite honestly I'm not one for switchin wheels every season. N I don't want to take the risk when I first got my car within a couple days I almost lost it because of snow so I don't take the chances. I'm sure the ST's can take water it rains everywhere, lol. The salt is probably my biggest problem but I don't see that much. They also have a five year warranty vs lifetime with the V1's. In 5years I don't think ill have this car. Does the warranty not cover something like a seized coil or rust within that time frame? What's your take?
The shock body is more susceptible to corrosion on the ST. With that said that would probably just make it more difficult to adjust your vehicle height since the perch threads would be covered in crud. You'd have to probably wire brush them clean before twisting the perches to adjust the ride height. Btw I do that with my V2's anyways since it makes it easier turn the perch.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

im sure it exist, you've just gotta be willing to drop a few g's on suspension.
the roads heres aren't to bad with bumps in the warmer months. Therefore the stiffer ride doesnt bug me. The stiffness of the coilovers just makes it feel like it sticks to the road. a lot of people will complain about the ride being to stiff, but you can't compare vs the stock because the handling wont be nearly as good in my opinion. there is no amazing coil over that'll ride like a dream at under 1500.. kinda crazy to spend a third of the sale price on suspenion. pre lci e60's are dirt cheap now a days.

food for thought.. if you get the st by kw, maybe just coat them thoroughly with some sort of grease so they cant corrode? if your in MD, i think you'll be fine. not much snow out there.