E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Coilover Install... Some help Please?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004
Default Coilover Install... Some help Please?

Wassup bro's?... Im am about to purchase some coils for my whip. Im just a little confused on what other replacement parts I may need to get the job done right. I've been looking on real oem to try to get a handle on it but its a little confusing with all the little parts and not actually having the coils to see exactly what the assembly looks like, I know its not as easy as buying the coils and thats all. I have dynamic drive/active steering is this something I can do or should i have my indy install it? (I've done the Alternator bracket gasket as well as some other fixes on my car) never suspension related stuff tho. All help is appreciated fellas, Thanks....
Old 02-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Subscribed...Been wondering about this myself. People posting coils they installed but never mentioned if they needed to get some extra bits to complete the job. Sorry, I don't have much to contribute.

BTW, which coils are you considering? Maybe that would help along with people posting.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Contributors

BTW, here's a thread on installing KW Street Comforts on an 05' 545.

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...nstall-122533/
Old 02-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20

Originally Posted by balbs
Subscribed...Been wondering about this myself. People posting coils they installed but never mentioned if they needed to get some extra bits to complete the job. Sorry, I don't have much to contribute.

BTW, which coils are you considering? Maybe that would help along with people posting.
Leaning towards ST coils, made by KW and from what I've read are the some as the KW street comfort without the lifetime warranty. So I figure it's worth a shot.

Originally Posted by balbs
BTW, here's a thread on installing KW Street Comforts on an 05' 545.

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...nstall-122533/
I actually subscribed to this thread quite some time ago, doesn't show much of what was needed tho. As far as replacement parts, my car has 91k on the clock with OG sport suspension so I know some stuff needs to be replaced. Already replaced control arms and tensioners. But I'm talking about items related to the install. No one ever says what else they replaced, search button is my friend but I haven't found much
Old 02-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Contributors

I thought ST coils are the same as KW V1, not the Street Comfort.

That KW install thread mentions keeping the existing top hat but I don't see anything else.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:48 PM
Members
Senior Members

Yea your right identical to V1's my mistake... But yea I probably would change the top hats just because, at 91k how much longer would they have to go. Also when I take a look at real oem at the construction of front and rear assembly there's some pieces that I'm not sure need to be replaced or that don't matter because there coils. Essentially a coil does the same job as a stock spring and strut ( don't shoot me I know there's some differences) for the people that read this and try to go off, lol.. But yea I'm sure there some things I could change out so I won't have to go back in there or better yet that MUST to be changed.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Just replace your top hats and everything else will be in the box with the CO's. .
Old 02-06-2014, 04:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: '08 535 xiT, '11 K1300S

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
Just replace your top hats and everything else will be in the box with the CO's. .
Agreed with above statement. When I had mine installed, I forgot to replace my upper shock mount with new one. With stiffer shock (compared to OEM), it had failed within 6,000 miles.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
Originally Posted by killercalf
Agreed with above statement. When I had mine installed, I forgot to replace my upper shock mount with new one. With stiffer shock (compared to OEM), it had failed within 6,000 miles.
Ok cool, top hats are both front and rear correct?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

You will NEED TWO of these:

BMW Part number 33506779488

Some people change out the top mount nuts, but we reuse them.

Name:  e60parts_zps67b7fdef.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  108.9 KB

Last edited by Trinity Autosport; 02-06-2014 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Coilover Install... Some help Please?