E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Cleaning the MAF did wonders

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I cleaned the MAF yesterday, after I had gotten the car back from the dealer for other maintence stuff. I also as mentioned in some other posts that I had this cat-midpipe-muffler sound that was definetly soundin glike noise comin from inside the pipes and was not a vibration or rattling from hitting the shield or being loose. IT was noticablly shaking the car at idle and when car was one standin goutside the car you heard an awful vibration. The dealer could not find the problem.

I ended up cleaning the MAF yesterday and had my first long drive today, probably giving it enough time to re-set and adapt to any changes. The car is now running noticably smoother and that really loud annoying midpipe sound was 90 percent gone. I am guessing it was sensing not quite the right o2 and the mixture was not completely accurate and that was causing emissions gases that had some problem. No idea otherwise how this would fix it but I know that stuff is all connected.

The most amazing part-I gained FOUR mpg on the city and 5 on the higway. That is ridiculous! I was absolutely shocked as the cleaning took 5 minutes. It was the same route I drive each week with no other variables changed as I just measured this prior to goin to the dealer and right before I cleaned the MAF. I find that amazing. My car has 38k miles on the clock
If you have not done so---CLEAN your MAF
Old 03-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 545OH' post='829334' date='Mar 28 2009, 08:37 PM
So I cleaned the MAF yesterday, after I had gotten the car back from the dealer for other maintence stuff. I also as mentioned in some other posts that I had this cat-midpipe-muffler sound that was definetly soundin glike noise comin from inside the pipes and was not a vibration or rattling from hitting the shield or being loose. IT was noticablly shaking the car at idle and when car was one standin goutside the car you heard an awful vibration. The dealer could not find the problem.

I ended up cleaning the MAF yesterday and had my first long drive today, probably giving it enough time to re-set and adapt to any changes. The car is now running noticably smoother and that really loud annoying midpipe sound was 90 percent gone. I am guessing it was sensing not quite the right o2 and the mixture was not completely accurate and that was causing emissions gases that had some problem. No idea otherwise how this would fix it but I know that stuff is all connected.

The most amazing part-I gained FOUR mpg on the city and 5 on the higway. That is ridiculous! I was absolutely shocked as the cleaning took 5 minutes. It was the same route I drive each week with no other variables changed as I just measured this prior to goin to the dealer and right before I cleaned the MAF. I find that amazing. My car has 38k miles on the clock
If you have not done so---CLEAN your MAF
WTF is MAF? I would love to clean mine too.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 - 530i Sport, Auto, Alpine White, Dark Poplar, Beige Dakota w/ Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package (yeah I know I live in SC, but I love it on my back after a long day of golf), Logic 7, Parking Assist, & Auto Sunshade.

Originally Posted by EV4530' post='829339' date='Mar 28 2009, 08:49 PM
WTF is MAF? I would love to clean mine too.
I think MAF is Mass Air Flow device, but I have no idea exactly where it is or how to clean it. I hope to hear more from 545OH as well.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Members

Micro-Air Filter?
Old 03-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Turboe' post='829368' date='Mar 28 2009, 09:16 PM
I think MAF is Mass Air Flow device, but I have no idea exactly where it is or how to clean it. I hope to hear more from 545OH as well.
When you open your hood and look at your airbox the MAF sensor is on the large black tube that goes to the engine.
You have to unscrew is to get it out. (It's the thing with the wire running down into the engine room).

I hear there is this MAF sensor cleaner that a lot of people are using on this forum could someone name the brand?

Also, do you have the stock paper filter or an aftermarket air filter 545OH?
Old 03-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Contributors

Nevermind buddy, I used that thing called search.................. my bad
Old 03-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

545OH, gotta share the knowledge baby. Getting more mpg be useful to all owners. Thanks in advance for a write up!
Old 03-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Members

How many miles have you put on since the cleaning?
Old 03-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Banned

Sorry guys I can do a DIY this weekend. It is mass airflow sensor. It sits on top of your airbox and has 2 screws to remove. Once you pull it out there is a very fine small SENSITIVE resistor wire that is the actual sensor. You cannot touch this or have anything touch this. Buy a bottle of CRC MAF cleaner online. You simply hold the MAF and spray the resistor and all other exposed parts of the circuit 15 timse or so with the crc aerosilized cleaner.

I have had a paper filter on for 35k miles and it still managed to get dirty so I think anyone could benefit from this
Old 03-29-2009, 05:32 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by 545OH' post='829484' date='Mar 29 2009, 12:22 AM
Sorry guys I can do a DIY this weekend. It is mass airflow sensor. It sits on top of your airbox and has 2 screws to remove. Once you pull it out there is a very fine small SENSITIVE resistor wire that is the actual sensor. You cannot touch this or have anything touch this. Buy a bottle of CRC MAF cleaner online. You simply hold the MAF and spray the resistor and all other exposed parts of the circuit 15 timse or so with the crc aerosilized cleaner.

I have had a paper filter on for 35k miles and it still managed to get dirty so I think anyone could benefit from this
So just spray the MAF with that cleaner and put it back in without drying it?
I will do this today

Quick Reply: Cleaning the MAF did wonders