E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Can she go any faster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by spediegunz
i remember reading somewhere that changing headers does nothing or lower performance in our cars what results have you made interms of hp gains after doing this mod??
Not quite, if you add an AIR INTAKE you will lose power and performance for the sake a "whooshing" sound. Headers are pretty effective, just that cleung got headers that were made for the 3 series (same M54 engine) and had them adapted to the E60. His results, as I recall, were better performance AND a throatier growl
Old 05-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Originally Posted by pjinca
Not quite, if you add an AIR INTAKE you will lose power and performance for the sake a "whooshing" sound. Headers are pretty effective, just that cleung got headers that were made for the 3 series (same M54 engine) and had them adapted to the E60. His results, as I recall, were better performance AND a throatier growl
thank pjinca. Yeah definite more growl, to the point where I ended up having to install some resonators midstream to tame it down a bit. There is a definite increase in power I can't quantify it because no one in my area has a dyno machine. There are many threads regarding headers on the 3 series forums that go in to much more detail. What I had to do was install 3 series headers and have the flange rotated to fit the rest of the exhaust. If I were to do it over again I would have rotated the flange on the exhaust pipe as opposed to the headers. Still one of my favorite mods on my car, currently I have my O2 sensors taken out and sent to someone for modification to eliminate the CEL.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock headers are a HUGE bottle neck. With a supercharged car you can pickup as much as 20whp. I have the VF supercharger and will get it installed as soon as I'm not traveling. Hopefully in next 2-3 weeks. I am paying $750 for installation.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cleung
thank pjinca. Yeah definite more growl, to the point where I ended up having to install some resonators midstream to tame it down a bit. There is a definite increase in power I can't quantify it because no one in my area has a dyno machine. There are many threads regarding headers on the 3 series forums that go in to much more detail. What I had to do was install 3 series headers and have the flange rotated to fit the rest of the exhaust. If I were to do it over again I would have rotated the flange on the exhaust pipe as opposed to the headers. Still one of my favorite mods on my car, currently I have my O2 sensors taken out and sent to someone for modification to eliminate the CEL.
That's a sweet mod. Do you know if it would be possible to do the same thing for a 525? mine has straight quad pipes from the cats. my only pic of her (still looking for oem fenders btw)
Old 05-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Former Vendor

hmm gb prices sound nice but how much would i have to pay for someone to install it and dyno tune all that
For the extra 105hp, the GB prices aren't bad at all. There's no need for Dyno tuning. The custom ECU flash is included with the kit.

Installation should be around $800-1k. The $750 iteachgolf got is a good deal. Book time for install is 6-9hrs.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cleung
Sound clip or video?
Old 05-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Originally Posted by VF Engineering
That's a sweet mod. Do you know if it would be possible to do the same thing for a 525? mine has straight quad pipes from the cats. my only pic of her (still looking for oem fenders btw)
I believe you can it should be the same headers. YOu might want to go to e46fanatics forum and do a little research to make sure.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Contributors

Sound clip or video?
Take a look at the old thread I started when I put them in. Keep in mind that the sound clips are of the car before I installed the resonators.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/110...eaders__st__30
Old 05-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Senior Members

Ok not bad I'm not a huge fan of noise but i expected it to be louder. I notice you had a few lights on , on the dash is that a result of the super charging or headers
Old 05-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Contributors

Ok not bad I'm not a huge fan of noise but i expected it to be louder. I notice you had a few lights on , on the dash is that a result of the super charging or headers
I'm not supercharged I just have headers right now. The check engine is from the headers, I just sent my O2 sensors away last week to get them modded to get rid of the light. There are a few ways to get rid of the check engine.

Quick Reply: Can she go any faster?