E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BSW Stage 1 Install Complete

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 330ci cab - Jet Black - Black Leather - Premium Pkg - Sport Pkg - Auto - Heated Seats - Navigation - Xenon - Premium Sound - iPod - Bluetooth

I just finished my install of BSW's Stage 1 kit for a Logic 7 replacement. I took close to 50 pictures of the install, and would like to put information out there as an enhancement to BSW's installation guide. Do any of you have suggestions on the best way to do this for this forum?

Very, very quick opinion, as I prefer to tell you how I did my testing in detail.

Is there an improvement? Yes
Does it just knock your socks off? Hmmm
I had a friend do the test too, and she said she noticed an improvement immediately.
Can almost anyone do this install? Yes
Will it take 2 1/2 hours like the instructions say? Not on the first install. I started at 2:00 p.m. and finished at 6:30 p.m. But I like to be careful. If I had to do it again, yes 2 1/2 hours is reasonable.
What's different? I can notice an improvement in the high ends, and can crank up the volume without distortion.
Was it worth the value? That's totally subjective. If sound is very important to you, as it is to me, then maybe. I have a lot of money invested in my home audio system. But, I may have opted to spend $600 - $700 on other mods, like the M-Tech kit rather than this. If you have the money, why not give it a try. I have a hunch for those that do not have Logic 7, this will be a HUGE improvement.

More later.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Originally Posted by bjsbuds' post='782043' date='Jan 31 2009, 07:07 PM
I just finished my install of BSW's Stage 1 kit for a Logic 7 replacement. I took close to 50 pictures of the install, and would like to put information out there as an enhancement to BSW's installation guide. Do any of you have suggestions on the best way to do this for this forum?

Very, very quick opinion, as I prefer to tell you how I did my testing in detail.

Is there an improvement? Yes
Does it just knock your socks off? Hmmm
I had a friend do the test too, and she said she noticed an improvement immediately.
Can almost anyone do this install? Yes
Will it take 2 1/2 hours like the instructions say? Not on the first install. I started at 2:00 p.m. and finished at 6:30 p.m. But I like to be careful. If I had to do it again, yes 2 1/2 hours is reasonable.
What's different? I can notice an improvement in the high ends, and can crank up the volume without distortion.
Was it worth the value? That's totally subjective. If sound is very important to you, as it is to me, then maybe. I have a lot of money invested in my home audio system. But, I may have opted to spend $600 - $700 on other mods, like the M-Tech kit rather than this. If you have the money, why not give it a try. I have a hunch for those that do not have Logic 7, this will be a HUGE improvement.

More later.
Thanks for the feedback, certainly looking at this mod.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:24 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Yes definitely appreciate the feedback

Originally Posted by al_ongvano' post='782045' date='Jan 31 2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback, certainly looking at this mod.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i sport 6spd Sapphire Black/Tan

very interesting..
Old 02-01-2009, 06:58 AM
DTD
Senior Members

My Ride: 550i 2009 Mod. with tints all around. Got Splitter and Spoiler coming. May do an exhaust.

Great Stuff Bjs... I am guessing your car had a speaker in the front. I have Premium Sound Package and lookd for a speaker up front and found none, but am curious if others on this forum might think the wiring harness maybe there and I might be able to install the Logic 7? Maybe I should address this to Halston from BSW Thanks Dan
Old 02-01-2009, 07:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Logic7 is more than just adding speaker even if the cable is there, its all integrated to iDrive and stuff as part of your car DNA if you will. You can put the 3 additional speakers on the dash & both rear doors (if the amp even capable) but the iDrive will not utilize them as part of Logic7 surround system.

GL!

Originally Posted by DTD' post='782388' date='Feb 1 2009, 09:58 AM
Great Stuff Bjs... I am guessing your car had a speaker in the front. I have Premium Sound Package and lookd for a speaker up front and found none, but am curious if others on this forum might think the wiring harness maybe there and I might be able to install the Logic 7? Maybe I should address this to Halston from BSW Thanks Dan
Old 02-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Contributors

I did this on my e39 last summer, well worth the money imo, I noticed the diff right away...
Old 02-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 330ci cab - Jet Black - Black Leather - Premium Pkg - Sport Pkg - Auto - Heated Seats - Navigation - Xenon - Premium Sound - iPod - Bluetooth

As promised, I would provide my experience with the BSW Stage 1 Speaker Kit.

I am providing a narrative of the install, as well as a PDF with photos of my install experience. I strongly recommend that you read BSW's instructions, as well as their videos on You Tube before beginning your install. I am providing Halton any of my pictures he wants to supplement their written instructions.

Here is my supplement to BSW's instructions and videos: Installation_Instructions_for_BSW_Stage_1_Speaker_Upgrad.pdf

Here was my experience:
This was the day that I was installing the BSW Stage 1 kit for my 2006 BMW 550i. My car has the Premium Sound system (Logic 7).

I spent the morning reading the instructions that are available on BSW?s web site. The instructions keep telling you that they recommend you watch their video, but there isn?t any video for the e60. This is frustrating.

I decided that is makes more sense to begin with the most simple installation rather than the most difficult as BSWs instructions have you do. So, I began with the rear deck spearkers & tweeters. Wow, this was a breeze. It only took 20 minutes to complete the left & rights. One thing I did notice is that the Logic 7 speakers I was removing were just as heavy as the BSW speakers. That made me wonder if the sound would be any better.

Then I finished the center channel speaker in 10 minutes. The biggest obstacle was finding a short Phillips screwdriver to get the screws out.

Next on to the rear doors. Here?s where the BSW instructions leave out a very important item. There are two screws to remove, not one. I was trying to remove the door panel and could not, that?s when I discovered there was a screw near the bottom of the door. Another important thing is to remove the light fixture at the bottom of the door. Easy to do, but not in the BSW instructions. If you happen to view the BSW You Tube videos on the E39 you will note that they say to pry the door panels with some force. I had to use a lot of force. It scared me, but no problems.

On my first rear door, I did snap a plastic bracket that held a wire. I didn?t see where it cause a problem, but I did break it. In order to swap the speaker I had to remove the metal plate over the speaker. This is where the BSW e60 instructions could have been helpful. On the second rear door I decided to disconnect it completely and take it in the house to swap the speaker. Much easier and quicker.

Now on to the front doors. Surprisingly, this went quite well. What took the most time was putting the sound deadening material on the door panels. I couldn?t find any detailed directions from BSW about where the optimal places were to place the material, so I placed it everywhere I could.

My intent is hopefully to provide fellow forum members with useful information. I wish you luck on your Stage 1 Speaker Kit install.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Contributors

5 hour installation. ouchy!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='784577' date='Feb 3 2009, 11:35 PM
5 hour installation. ouchy!
Yes, but I like to be very careful with my baby.

Quick Reply: BSW Stage 1 Install Complete