E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Bodykit fitment

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by umnitza
Thanks for your confidence, your parts are packaged and should be out today with tracking and shipping.

It really seems to depends on a few factors.
1) body shop installation
2) batch of side skirts
3) personal tolerance level.

I've seen these 1mm short issues and our good shop next door says that there are ways to handle it to fit it just right without any shortness but there were some that were 2-3mm and I think that's a batch issue, the recent ones we've seen installed don't have it.
sure!! its very simple for me if i'm not happy with it, i just won't deal with the same body shop or vendor!! just move on
and find another place that has it, trust me there is a lot more out there.. that's just my opinion!!
thanks for the input!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by umnitza
Thanks for your confidence, your parts are packaged and should be out today with tracking and shipping.

It really seems to depends on a few factors.
1) body shop installation
2) batch of side skirts
3) personal tolerance level.

I've seen these 1mm short issues and our good shop next door says that there are ways to handle it to fit it just right without any shortness but there were some that were 2-3mm and I think that's a batch issue, the recent ones we've seen installed don't have it.

Can you elaborate on how the shop can install an obviously short part and make it fit "just right". You can't just make one end fit perfectly because then the other end would'nt be flush. 1mm is a non issue. I doubt anybody would even notice that and this wouldn't even be a subject. However, I've seen it in person and it's more than 3mm. If what you're saying is that the batch runs vary between 1-3mm (or more)is true, then there's an obviouse QA issue in how the sideskirts are manufactured and that the buyer should pray that the sideskirts they get will come from a good batch. From pics I see on the forum with the replica skirts, I guess alot of these rep skirt buyers aren't praying hard enough.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Members

Can any comment what a body shop will charge to paint and swap pieces?

I am an avid DIY'r and do my own brakes etc..is it possible for me to do the swap and just get the pieces painted?

thx
Old 09-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SmithsonGA

I am an avid DIY'r and do my own brakes etc..is it possible for me to do the swap and just get the pieces painted?

thx
ill try let you know when i have my kit installed! Given this is Hawaii so people we have a premium added to pretty much everything haha
Old 09-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

thx
for all pieces, paint and installation will run between $ 1000-1300, depending on the shop but it's a DIY job if you got the pieces painted. I think there was a member here who recent bought the Mtech kit from Umnitza and did the installation himself. According to him, it was pretty much straight forward but much easier job if you can find someone to help.

GL
Old 09-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
for all pieces, paint and installation will run between $ 1000-1300, depending on the shop but it's a DIY job if you got the pieces painted. I think there was a member here who recent bought the Mtech kit from Umnitza and did the installation himself. According to him, it was pretty much straight forward but much easier job if you can find someone to help.

GL

just ordered mine from umnitza but sending out to shop haha i dont wanna leave anything to chance!
Old 09-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

thx
My guess is probably $500 - $700 for a basecoat/clearcoat on a complete kit.

You could swap the body parts yourself. Just be careful - screw up and scratch one of the shiny surfaces after you take posession of the parts and its on you.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW M5

I purchased and installed the mtech kit from Umnitza and didn't have any fitment issues

https://5series.net/forums/topic/115...3#entry1365083
Old 09-24-2011, 10:14 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

That kit looks great - more shipment is on the way, we'll have lips and other new stuff on Oct 20th. Just 3 weeks away.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Senior Members

how do u guys post pictures and stuff up on the threads? do i have to create an account with flickr or something?

Quick Reply: Bodykit fitment