E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aux. Output

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robg' date='Dec 5 2004, 09:53 PM
For those of you with the Aux installed, what are you using to power an iPod?
[snapback]65100[/snapback]
The Belkin Auto Kit (F8V7058-APL) with audio output!

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=149006
Old 12-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Senior Members

So the price is $40 for the part?
Old 12-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ipodists are overcharged by accessories.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

JUst picked my car up from the dealer today. They are 150% convinced BMW does not amake an Ipod or Aux adapter to plug an Ipod into. I told them there was and they were intrested. Emailed them the link to the thread, this forum and attached the pdf file. Its amaizing how uninformed out dealers are. BMW NA needs to start talking to their dealers and telling them things. I should not have to show them this. O well, just as long as i can get the input i will be happy
Old 12-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Small input regarding the sound quality.
I went today to my dealer and tried my old mp3 player on the aux input of a 1 series.
Considering this 1 series had basic speaker setup and my mp3 player is just a moderately priced - average device, the sound was actually quite good. I was impressed. My mp3's were converted as mp3 VBR ( averaging 192kbps ).

I noticed in the aux menu it had a "aux level" submenu, were you could increase the native volume. Set that to max, since my mp3 player did not have any kind
of decent ampification ..bass was good.

If this is anything to go by in what to expect for an aux input retrofit for the 5 series, I'm sold. Hooking up a device like an ipod with very good sound quality to the Logic 7 ( at least getting the sound through 13 speakers instead of 4 ) must
be at least twice as better from what I listened to today.

Just got to figure out the install location. Will an ipod fit in the armrest?
I have been considering Iceman's install location. Could put the ipod in the passangers net holder...( ?)
Old 12-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I connected my DVD player to the L7 through AUX and played a couple different movies. The sound quality was amazing. Almost perfect. Waaaay better than I expected!
I can highly recommend the AUX input!
Old 12-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Dec 11 2004, 10:03 PM
I connected my DVD player to the L7 through AUX and played a couple different movies. The sound quality was amazing. Almost perfect. Waaaay better than I expected!
I can highly recommend the AUX input!
[snapback]67963[/snapback]
Excellent. On what criteria did you base your aux location, Ice?

If one has a passenger it's easy to ask them to change music on a particular device...but if you're alone, I can only think of the armrest as the most convenient location for a driver...
Old 12-11-2004, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I have a portable DVD player what I use on the passenger sunblind. That's why it had to be somewhere in that area, but not hidden inside the glove box. Where I have it, it is out of the way, not bothering anybody (not even a passenger) and it's not out of reach for me. I can plug something in very easily without the need to stop. Also there is the cargo net underneath, so if I want to play MP3's (what is not supported by BMW and therefore I have to use my DVD player ), I can put the DVD player in the cargo net (it has a remote, so I can work it). I also have the permanent power outlet next to it, so that whatever device I use I have power for it and it doesn't get switched off when I shut off the engine. (In example, your passenger is watching a DVD and you need to stop at the gas station, the passenger can watch while you do your business...).
I didn't liked the idea of having it in the glove box, because whatever you plug in needs to be in the glove box, or you need to squeeze the cables out on the side...
Old 12-12-2004, 04:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Dec 12 2004, 12:11 AM
I have a portable DVD player what I use on the passenger sunblind. That's why it had to be somewhere in that area, but not hidden inside the glove box. Where I have it, it is out of the way, not bothering anybody (not even a passenger) and it's not out of reach for me. I can plug something in very easily without the need to stop. Also there is the cargo net underneath, so if I want to play MP3's (what is not supported by BMW and therefore I have to use my DVD player? ), I can put the DVD player in the cargo net (it has a remote, so I can work it). I also have the permanent power outlet next to it, so that whatever device I use I have power for it and it doesn't get switched off when I shut off the engine. (In example, your passenger is watching a DVD and you need to stop at the gas station, the passenger can watch while you do your business...).
I didn't liked the idea of having it in the glove box, because whatever you plug in needs to be in the glove box, or you need to squeeze the cables out on the side...
[snapback]68028[/snapback]
Thanks for the feedback...understood!
Old 12-25-2004, 12:14 AM
Members

Another successful Aux Audio owner here, thanks to the posts on this forum!

Went throught the usual BS with the dealer -- "Part is frozen; Part is not available for US; Part is on back order; Oh, the part showed up today". Aux Audio works great - once we go through the hassle of getting the dealer to order it and getting them to reprogram iDrive to "see" it.

On a side note, the Official FAQ on this site needs to be update to reflect this Aux Audio option. It still lists/recommends the FM Transmitter option.
http://www.e60.net/faq/#oq11

Quick Reply: Aux. Output