E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aux input question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bump this up, but I really need helpo as I have to take car to dealer this afternoon. Anyone know if I did something wrong here? Or will recoding fix this issue. Don't want to pay to have it recoded if i did something wrong. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

When I installed my AUX cable, I don't remembering having to pull any existing wiring out to fit the AUX. Are you saying you pulled something out and something is now unattached?

As for the bass issue, it could be that problem members have discussed long ago about the resistors in the cable preventing full bass. I don't have first hand experience because I removed that resistor prior to installing my cable.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
When I installed my AUX cable, I don't remembering having to pull any existing wiring out to fit the AUX. Are you saying you pulled something out and something is now unattached?

As for the bass issue, it could be that problem members have discussed long ago about the resistors in the cable preventing full bass. I don't have first hand experience because I removed that resistor prior to installing my cable.

not actually removing wires from the wiring harness, there was another plug attached to the stereo where the aux plug was supposed to attach into, I assumed this was for the CD chamger pre-wire, figured that is why they had me pull it out, but now I have no sound in my rear speakers at all. just the fronts.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Members

OK, just got the car coded, and aux input does not work. Dealer sold me the wrong plug, does anyone have a pin diagram of where all the wires need to go? I now know there does have to be some pins taken out of the old plug and added to the new wiring harness, but apparently, the AUX wires are in the wrong place on the wiring harness i have. If anyone knows the schematics i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:15 AM
Members

I would like to thank nomis, and pj for their input. After extensive research, I finally got it working. After lots of research and talking with the dealer I got it working. Turns out, the plug BMW provides with this retrofit is USELESS! You have to remove the wires from the plug supplied with the AUX-IN, and add those wires to the existing plug. In the instructions it says to remove the old plug, and just plug in the new one. THIS WILL NOT WORK. In order to get the wires out of the plug, there is a clip underneath, and a hole on the opposite side. You must pry the clip up, and then put like a paper clip or something in the hole to slide out the harness. Then use the same paperclip to release the wires from the harness. Then you add the 3 wires to the existing plug that is going to the stereo. In the instrustions, it tells you the exact holes each one of those wires goes to. I don't have the instructions with me, but they are out there.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:57 AM
Contributors

Sounds like you made a similar mistake as I did. It took me 20 minutes to figure out to take out the damn socket that came with the AUX cable. Why the hell that's even included blows my mind. It was all downhill once I figured that out.

And yes, the instructions in the PDF is pretty worthless. Why did it not mention that is beyond me as well.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Members

yup, that was exactly what i thought, why the hell even give the plug if you don't use it. In retrospect, paying $70 for 6 foot of wire and an AUX plug is absolutley ridiculous, I'm thinking of making a bunch of these and selling them on ebay with proper instructions. Would cost about $5 to make if I could get the correct type of pin inputs.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Contributors

Yes, taking the cable apart, it's very easy to see how ridiculous the mark up is. In parts alone, it can't be more than $10 to make.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Yes, taking the cable apart, it's very easy to see how ridiculous the mark up is. In parts alone, it can't be more than $10 to make.

I lost the screw that holds the AUX input in place, went to radio shack, got two aux inputs just like the one they sold me with out the wires, grand total, $3.51.