E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Anyone interested in OEM style back up camera kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NC916' post='1070445' date='Dec 8 2009, 02:01 PM
well I bought my car preowned and it already has the iPod plug installed I can change music an all thru the button on the idrive iguess if the 05 has it. It plays through stock stero system
It seems like you have iPod Interface which uses fiber optic cable as r9ndy mentioned above,
In that case, you still need to have Aux input to have video playback with audio through your stock stereo system..
Old 12-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Members

How many RGB Inputs does this unit have? Can I install backup cam; front cam; dvd player; and iphone all at once? How do you switch between inputs? Is their a special adapter for rca to the units rgb in?
How do you switch from the different backup screens available. Via dip switch?
Why is there a limitation on the iphone with 3.0 firmware?
Will this interfere/be compatible with comfort access(trunk handle)?
What panels did you have to remove to get wire from trunk to the front of car? What panels do you have to remove to get to the back of radio/nav unit?
Your site doesn't allow me to buy more than 1 item at a time. I think I need to buy:
- Interface kit + Back up camera for ~2008 with 1st gen iDrive : $485
- RCA Y-Cable (to enable the rear view camera while driving) : $7.99
- Aux to RCA Cable (Only if you have Aux input installed) : $4.99
-Composite A/V Cable with USB for iPod/iPhone $15.00
Old 12-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Members

How many RGB Inputs does this unit have? Can I install backup cam; front cam; dvd player; and iphone all at once? How do you switch between inputs? Is their a special adapter for rca to the units rgb in?
- It has 1 RGB input (no special adapter needed), and 3 AV (RCA) inputs so you can have connect any devices up to 3 all at once.

How do you switch from the different backup screens available. Via dip switch?
- To switch from stock to AV or RGB input, you simply press iDrive "MENU" button for 2 secounds, it will swith screen from stock to RGV > AV1 > AV2 > AV3
Press "MENU" button again (no need to hold for 2 seconds) to bring back to stock screen.

Why is there a limitation on the iphone with 3.0 firmware?
- There is no limitaion on the iphone with 3.0 firmware,
Composite AV cable we are selling on our website is 3rd party product, not an official Apple product.
Apple blocked 3rd party composite AV cable support after they relased firmware 3.0,
So if you want to use your iPhone/iPod with firmware 3.0+ as a video playback source, you need to get an official Apple composite AV cable

Will this interfere/be compatible with comfort access(trunk handle)?
- This kit will work with comfort access, basically there is no sensor on the trunk handle, it's a just push switch, only door handles have sensors.

What panels did you have to remove to get wire from trunk to the front of car? What panels do you have to remove to get to the back of radio/nav unit?
- You need to remove trunk lid trim panel, just follow stock wires, you shouldn't have problem to run the wire.

- To install interface module, you need to take off screen, front longest interior trim, climate controller and front dash,
Then you need to remove radio to disconnect harness and hook it up with interface kit harness.

Your site doesn't allow me to buy more than 1 item at a time.
- Let me know your paypal address, I'll send you paypal request.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kgmccarthy' post='1069746' date='Dec 7 2009, 09:41 PM
That's a great idea. How is the reception while the car is moving? (not that you watch TV while driving )
It's pretty decent on a clear highway. Keep in mind that it's been said that digital tv tuners wouldn't have any signal at all while in motion with the digital signal, so I was happy when I got some signal on the highway. It's still spotty, but you can follow a game etc, with a few interuptions here and there. For your passengers off course
Old 12-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

Originally Posted by mentholguy' post='1070428' date='Dec 8 2009, 01:38 PM
Yes my interface kit has RCA output as well,

BTW, I have both ~2008 and 2009~ PnP Interface kit and Back up camera in stock now
And looking for one more local volunteer for PnP kit installation
i'll be your volunteer
Old 12-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by r9ndy' post='1070683' date='Dec 8 2009, 10:28 PM
i'll be your volunteer
Awesome! let me know when you get your car back!
Old 12-09-2009, 02:12 AM
Senior Members

Are we sure that there are no sensors in the trunk handle for Comfort Access? I thought there were which allow us to open the trunk without unlocking first. I'm not 100% on this though.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by the chang' post='1070759' date='Dec 9 2009, 03:12 AM
Are we sure that there are no sensors in the trunk handle for Comfort Access? I thought there were which allow us to open the trunk without unlocking first. I'm not 100% on this though.
There are sonsors near by the trunk area, but not just on the trunk handle..

1. Comfort access control unit
2. Bumper antenna
3. Interior aerial, comfort access

Old 12-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: AW E46 M3 Vert

awesome product. wish i had the extra funds right now. so the kit is about $485 plus all the accessories ($28) to make it work to its full potential and the aux input at the dealer ($150-$200)...total cost around $700 for me
Old 12-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2013 535i xDrive AW/Black M-kit

I just pulled the trigger on this one. Should have it by next week and hopefully will have time to install closer to christmas. Ill report back and let everyone know how it is. I have high hopes for this one ... Looks great. Mentholguy has been very helpful so far. Made me comfortable being one of the first to buy.

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in OEM style back up camera kit?